U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2011, 06:43 AM

6,948 posts, read 19,395,173 times

Advertisements

I have not tried the meat tenderizer but when pineapple (fresh or unsweetened) is on sale I stock up. I chop fresh pineapple into small chunks and keep it in a freezer bag. They love it frozen or fresh. Every few days they each get a pineapple chunk. Totally manages the poo eating. Of course, I am out there in the yard picking it up once or twice a day, too. It only took one time for me to take this seriously when Leo walked into the house and threw up a hugh pile of s***t.

I use pumpkin for diaherria; have never heard of it as a cure for poo-eating. But pure pumpkin is expensive and to manage poo eating, you have to have a regular system. I think there's a lot of salt in meat tenderizer so again, don't know if its a good idea to use it on a regular basis.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2011, 07:04 AM

16,264 posts, read 10,267,872 times
my vet also recommended the adolphs but did say it has to be that brand.

Old 05-05-2011, 09:55 AM

8,309 posts, read 34,303,061 times
I give my dog a section of beef neckbone about once a week. He works on it diligently until every remnant of meat is gone from it, then he will bury it to "season".

Anyway, this is germane to the topic because he will always resist the urge to, uh, phagia the copro if there is something more interesting on hand like a raw beef bone.

Old 05-05-2011, 11:35 AM

19,815 posts, read 55,790,617 times
A folk myth around here is to add tomato jice to their food. I have had several very elderly ladies tell me that. Never tried it so don't know if it works. DrsFoster&Smith sell something for that, but it didn't work for my dogs.

Old 05-05-2011, 11:37 AM

909 posts, read 2,939,802 times
My vet told me there is a commercial product you can buy at the pet store. You sprinkle it on their food and it makes the poop taste bad.

Old 05-05-2011, 11:45 AM

1,286 posts, read 2,962,259 times
I AM feeding them quality food. I think it has to do with housebreaking our recent rescue dog. She still occasionally poops in the house and even though I don't punish her, I have a feeling she senses my frustration so her response is to get rid of the evidence.

My older dog has not eaten poop in years but she recently started again. I suspect she's copying her friend's behavior.

Thanks for the feedback everyone.

Old 05-05-2011, 11:53 AM

6,948 posts, read 19,395,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atina33 View Post
I AM feeding them quality food. I think it has to do with housebreaking our recent rescue dog. She still occasionally poops in the house and even though I don't punish her, I have a feeling she senses my frustration so her response is to get rid of the evidence.

My older dog has not eaten poop in years but she recently started again. I suspect she's copying her friend's behavior.

Thanks for the feedback everyone.

I suspect you are humanizing your dog's behavior. Dogs are dogs and eat things they think tastes good. Your older dog probably finds this new rescue's poop to be a delicacy. Don't over think it. Just find a solution.

Old 05-05-2011, 12:00 PM

9,352 posts, read 16,776,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drjanice View Post
Have you ever thought of feeding them quality food or giving them vitamins so they are not feeling malnourished??????????????????

oh trust me .... being well or mal-nourished has NOT a thing to do with poop eating......

i have heard of the pineapple thing.... had not heard of the meat tenderizer, but sounds like it would be worth a shot.....

southernbelle .... 40 or so years ago, when our cocker was snacking from the kitty litter box, the vet recommended my mother feed her (the dog) tomatoes or tomato sauce.....

Old 05-05-2011, 10:00 PM

5,703 posts, read 16,132,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrs1885 View Post
Buy the Lawrys seasoned salt stuff. It's a small bottle with the spices and stuff at the store. It's got a yellow top.

Got the tip from a friend who got it from our vet, it works. I was shocked. Just sprinkle a bit of that over each of their food dishes each time you feed. May take a week or two to stop it, but it will. Our GSD was horrible about that until we tried this and it worked great.
wow, I will have to try this. My beagle is terrible about it. ack!

Old 05-06-2011, 09:31 AM

263 posts, read 795,062 times
We use pineapple also and it definitely helps. Also picking it up before they have a chance to eat it and startling them when they try.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or