U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2011, 05:51 PM

1,422 posts, read 4,615,252 times

Advertisements

My vet also advised to use Adolph's - she said to use the unseasoned version. I also used pineapple. It helped, and the dog grew out of the habit eventually.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2011, 08:35 PM

5,240 posts, read 13,977,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smagid View Post
We use pineapple also and it definitely helps. Also picking it up before they have a chance to eat it and startling them when they try.
We pick up as frequently as possible but with a dozen dogs and three land tortoises there's no way we can keep it totally clean unless we live out there. I tried the startle method too with the pittie/dane mix I've got. He doesn't like dog poo - he loves tortoise poo though. When I tried the startle method, he thought it was a game, grab a piece and took off running from me until he was out of reach and turned to wait for me to chase him.

Momma don't play chase.

Old 05-06-2011, 08:54 PM

18,856 posts, read 31,600,659 times
It seems to be a boredom issue as well, when Sam was busy with his chew toys, pig ears, and playing he forgot about the "poop" treats.

Eliminate opportunity, if it is cat poop, make litter box inaccessible to "Mr. Poop".

If he is a dog poop pup, keep it picked up, and try the other above remedies.

Don't kiss him on the lips.

Old 05-06-2011, 09:00 PM

36,462 posts, read 41,651,387 times
I strongly suspect my dog does this on occasion when crated while we are at work. It's the only time he'd have access to poop. Other than a crate accident now and then, he only poops on leashed walks, and we're obviously picking up the poop as we go, so no chance for snacking.

I think it's a product of having been a rescue who likely spent a lot of time in a puppy mill (like so much of his behavior). It wouldn't surprise me if he was crated constantly and not in clean quarters early in life.

Old 05-06-2011, 09:26 PM

571 posts, read 1,132,728 times
My former next door neighbor is a vet tech and her dog does this. I used to spend a lot of time at her place, and I remember the numerous steps she had to take to try to deal with it, as well as a few conversations we had about it.

I do remember her telling me that the product you can buy is called Forbid. She also said that some dogs just like to do this. I don't think it necessarily has anything to do with feeding them a poor diet.

Please, don't give your dog anything without checking with your vet!

Old 05-07-2011, 09:35 PM

36,472 posts, read 43,558,753 times
so are these methods interchangeable to feed cats to keep dogs out of the litter tray?

Old 05-08-2011, 08:58 PM

2,406 posts, read 5,347,967 times
I put a few sprinkles of meat tenerizer on all the dogs food. did that about two weeks. She stopped eating dog poop.

Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or