Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2011, 01:32 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,929,248 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
No lectures from me.... the one whose clumsiness resulted in Nanners eating a VERY potent green brownie last Xmas.
lol, my friend's boxers found a bag of the green stuff when they were puppies (about 20 lbs) and ate the entire bag.

one kept puking up her guts the other was passed out on the pillow with his four legs up in the air.

Their dad is the one who stole the box of chocolates, so my friend is always having adventures with those things
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2011, 01:37 PM

166 posts, read 380,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimboburnsy View Post
A 65 lb. lab would have to eat an ENORMOUS quantity of milk chocolate to be in real danger. I think it would need to be well over 10 lbs. of actual chocolate, which simply isn't likely. I'm not sure my dog would eat 10 lbs. of hot dogs given the opportunity. A big-ish dog isn't likely in danger from eating even a whole Halloween-sized bag of kit-kat, but I'll bet you saw a few interesting bowel movements.
Yep! You are 'spot on' . That is the size of my dog and it was interesting afterwards but he really didn't seem very bothered.

Old 05-05-2011, 01:40 PM

3,644 posts, read 10,936,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
lol, my friend's boxers found a bag of the green stuff when they were puppies (about 20 lbs) and ate the entire bag.

one kept puking up her guts the other was passed out on the pillow with his four legs up in the air.

Their dad is the one who stole the box of chocolates, so my friend is always having adventures with those things
20lbs of the green stuff?

Or 20 lbs of dog?

I have to say I find where this is going very funny - but sorry, I must 'spread it around' first!

And I'd have to add that at 3 months, our 'puppy' was about 40lbs. The vet then estimated she'd get to be 80-90lbs, but she's seemed to stop at 60lbs. Other than a small Shetland sheepdog my parents got from the pound when I was very young, all our dogs were big dogs (GSDs, collies, labs), so maybe that's why I'd never heard many of these 'warnings'.

The list is quite long - and a lot of it was surprising.

Old 05-05-2011, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sskkc View Post
20lbs of the green stuff?

Or 20 lbs of dog?

I have to say I find where this is going very funny - but sorry, I must 'spread it around' first!

And I'd have to add that at 3 months, our 'puppy' was about 40lbs. The vet then estimated she'd get to be 80-90lbs, but she's seemed to stop at 60lbs. Other than a small Shetland sheepdog my parents got from the pound when I was very young, all our dogs were big dogs (GSDs, collies, labs), so maybe that's why I'd never heard many of these 'warnings'.

The list is quite long - and a lot of it was surprising.
lol, no the pups were about 20lbs

Old 05-05-2011, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMidwestMom View Post
Yep! You are 'spot on' . That is the size of my dog and it was interesting afterwards but he really didn't seem very bothered.
I think it depends on the dog. Mine doesn't get affected but his dad does.

this makes a lot of sense:
http://ezinearticles.com/?Dogs-and-Chocolate---Will-Your-Dog-Really-Get-Sick-If-It-Eats-Chocolate?&id=650420 (broken link)
Quote:
Generally speaking, it takes approximately 100mg to 150mg of theobromine per kg of dog weight to impact your dog negatively.

Using a dose of 100 mg/kg as the toxic dose it comes out roughly as:

Milk Chocolate can be toxic if your dog eats 1 ounce per 1 pound of body weight.

Semisweet chocolate can be toxic if your dog 1 ounce per 3 pounds of body weight.

Bakers chocolate can be toxic if your dog eats 1 ounce per 9 pounds of body weight.

Based on that, 3 oz. of Bakers chocolate can be harmful to a 25 lb. dog, while 3 oz of of milk chocolate could just give him diarrhea.

Article Source: http://EzineArticles.com/650420 (broken link)
my dog ate half a pound of semisweet chocolate, which would affect a 24lbs dog but mine was about 45 lbs at the time, and had no reaction

Old 05-05-2011, 05:00 PM

7,378 posts, read 12,659,218 times
No walnuts???????? They're one of Present Dog's favorite snacks! Then again, she only gets a few at a time. But I guess we'll just stick with the pistachios, then.
As for peeled grapes...yes, First Dog used to get peeled grapes, too. She loved them--and she wouldn't eat one with the peel on it, either. She also enjoyed apples, oranges, mandarines, and pretty much everything she saw disappearing into my mouth except tomatoes and bananas. Present Dog hates fruit...

Old 05-05-2011, 09:30 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,543,435 times
Basically everything I've ever seen on a "poisonous to dogs" list is something I've had dogs, both past and current, eat with no ill effects.

Our dog growing up on the farm loved onions so much that she'd dig them up from the garden and eat them.

Old 05-07-2011, 05:44 AM

5,064 posts, read 15,893,696 times
I didn't know about a lot of this, either. I knew that onions were poisonous to cats, or so I was told, but didn't know it was for dogs, too. I think all our dogs over the years have had everything mentioned so far in small amounts mostly by accident (except for the green stuff, as far as I know, never know with college kids in the house, though ) but thankfully I've seen no ill effects.

Old 05-07-2011, 06:09 AM

3,631 posts, read 14,549,285 times
Snopes has a review of the topic [confirms though I already knew] and a link to some other sites about animal poisons.

snopes.com: Raisins and Grapes Harmful to Dogs

Old 09-17-2016, 09:28 AM

1 posts, read 852 times
I feed my 1 year old dog frozen grapes and carrots all the time he loves them and there is no affect, no vomit, no diarrhea, or any thing. He is perfectally healthy the vet says so I think the whole grapes thig is only certain dogs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs