U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2011, 02:20 AM

25,953 posts, read 26,673,713 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rural lady View Post
She is so cute, I'm glad you have her, I used to have a Heeler/BC cross, smartest dog I ever had and protective.

I'm wondering if she will lay her paw on your foot when you sit down.
She puts it on my thigh or on my lap, but I'm really promoting her bonding with the other dog more than myself. I also have this rolling art/lap top computer table I use in the bedroom when I want and she'll rest her chin on my left arm while I'm typing or on the table itself and just watch.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2011, 02:50 AM

423 posts, read 1,324,017 times
I don't have time to read all of the replies, but I'll give my experience. My parents have a red heeler. They got her from the humane society, she had lived on a farm previously and was about 5 years old. Sidney is a great dog, but she's quirky. ACD's are really, really smart, but not in a Border Collie, "what can I do to please you?" way. They were bred to work independently, so they tend to question you a lot. We like to joke that when you ask Sidney to do something, she first takes it to committee. They can also be hardheaded, as they are bred to work cattle, which are more stubborn than sheep. (Not to mention bigger.)

I love them, but I wouldn't call them easy dogs. Sid is also very prey-driven, and chases cats, squirrels, anything small and furry that runs. Skunks...twice, actually. Did I mention they're hardheaded? LOL.

She's a very sweet dog, though, loves my parents to death is great with kids. She's also very territorial about the house and the property and prone to alert/guarding type barking. She tolerates Sienna (my BC-type mix) but snaps to correct her if she gets too hyper, or otherwise offends Sidney. ACD's can be mouthy, they herd cattle by nipping at their heels (the 'heeler' part of their name), so it's an instinctive reaction to nip at things. Great bite inhibition, though.

They get very attached to their people, but don't necessarily like a lot of physical affection. Sometimes called "shadow dogs" because they like to be near you, but not on top of you all of the time.

My aunt has a blue heeler / border collie mix as well. Her dog is also really smart, independent, stubborn, territorial, and has personality plus but the BC part softens her up a bit. She gets along with cats and is smaller and has a 'softer' personality than Sidney.

Anyway, that's my experience. They are neat dogs, but not for everyone. Good luck with her, she's adorable!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or