U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-06-2011, 08:36 AM

4,585 posts, read 10,803,158 times

Advertisements

OK so I've had Gator for 11 years now and he was a rescue and his guesstamated age is around 15-16 years old. He's in his dotage but still is a JRT. He's always been good about asking to go out by scratching on the door then barking. Because of his age, I always take him out last thing at night on leash with flashlite and last night at around 11pm was no different...got a pee but no poo but this isn't unusual.

Sooooooooo, at 5am I get the "wake up call"...ugh, from a dead sleep I get up and put on "farm clothes"(read that as ratty sweats) get leash and flashlight and out we go for a potty and poo. Fine, I try to go back to sleep but it's a no go and I get up and start my day by looking for work etc. Gator will either come into the "office" and lay down or if it's too cold for his tastes will get up on the couch and sleep. Well after several hours I get up and no Gator to be seen, I get a little panicky because if I forget to set the dead bolt he can get the door open and with his advanced age he could cross over the bridge any day. Soooo, after not seeing his high potentate of all he thinks he owns in the usual places, I go into my darkened bedroom and the brat has gone back to bed grrrrrr there he his burroughed under the blankets sound asleep...sigh...wakes me up at O'darkthirty and I can't get back to sleep but he sure can

Here is one of many shots I have of him "under his bankie"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2011, 08:48 AM

5,818 posts, read 13,260,863 times
I know exactly what you mean, except ours decides at 2:00 am that she wants to go out and sit on the hill looking at the moon!

Old 05-06-2011, 10:50 AM

7,330 posts, read 13,148,800 times
Cute picture! A dog I had, had that routine every day off I had, for the last few years of her life. Wake Mom, go potty, eat breakfast, go back to sleep with Dad for a couple hours. What a life!

Old 05-06-2011, 10:53 AM

9,350 posts, read 16,752,078 times
yep.... after a year and a half, Dave is FINALLY figuring out how to let me know if he needs to go out in the wee hours..... he stands next to the bed and wacks me in the head with his front feet.....

i am just happy he is letting me know he needs to go out.....

what a sweet picture of his highness, lord and master of all he sees.....

Old 05-06-2011, 11:00 AM

16,638 posts, read 26,584,205 times
LMAO @ O'darkthirty!!!

Old 05-06-2011, 11:06 AM

24,843 posts, read 32,272,805 times
Love it!!!!

After I open the curtains in the AM, Bear like to wear my sleep mask!!!

Old 05-06-2011, 11:39 AM

36,470 posts, read 43,510,162 times
I used to have a dog I swear was nocturnal. It was a big deal to get her to go potty during the day but as soon as I got to sleep she would tap tap tap next to my face to go outside. I would stand out there with her but half the time she just wanted to sniff around the yard, chase a bug and just enjoy the night air. I could be heard demanding that she PEE PEE NOW. Then I'd go back to sleep and about 2 hours later the whole thing started all over again.

I wasn't working, we had no children and I felt I was doing the best thing by responding to her waking me up but I think it just reinforced her thoughts that "Hey, I can go outside at night anytime I want and sleep all day".

This went on for about 2 years until I had a kid and no way was I gonna get up with both of them all night. She finally learned. What a fool I was. Live and learn.

Old 05-06-2011, 02:30 PM

9,350 posts, read 16,752,078 times
they sure do wrap us around their little paws, don't they??

Old 05-06-2011, 07:26 PM

166 posts, read 322,827 times

I see he has learned how to keep the annoying morning sun out of his eyes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or