Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2012, 08:39 AM

972 posts, read 2,442,919 times

Advertisements

A new neighbor starting into me and my dog on our morning walk. We've worked intensely with a trainer and our dog is very well behaved. She is known by most of the neighborhood and popular. She gets complemented on her behavior all the time.

So, we're going past the new neighbors house and the woman was out by the street. I said "hi". She started glaring at my dog and said I better keep her from charging her dogs. BTW, mine is a very small shepard. Her's are huskys who were sitting quietly behind their glass front door. The dogs were all ignoring each other. My dog was also ignoring the woman. I pointed out that my dog was well under control. She said my dog might incite her dogs to break through the glass. I resonded maybe she should learn to control her dogs better then. Again - all the dogs were ignoring each other!

She kept shouting at us as we walked down the street. I am so mad!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2012, 11:43 AM

7,329 posts, read 16,417,593 times
Sounds nutty as a fruitcake. I'd ignore her. Hope she doesn't make that impossible.

Old 07-19-2012, 11:45 AM

2,118 posts, read 6,372,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msm_teacher View Post
She kept shouting at us as we walked down the street. I am so mad!

It sounds like she's mentally ill.

Try not to let it ruin your day.

Old 07-19-2012, 11:47 AM

16,806 posts, read 39,928,986 times
Send her to Coventry from this point forward.

Old 07-19-2012, 12:10 PM

16,904 posts, read 16,116,328 times
I think there's a bunch of details missing from this story. If not, she's nuts.
I'd accuse her of having her dogs sending telepathic messages to your dogs to stir up all the trouble.

Old 07-19-2012, 12:14 PM

8,568 posts, read 18,100,599 times
Take along a tin foil hat and present it to her the next time you walk past her. Assure her that it will prevent your dog from inciting her dogs to break through her glass door and perhaps she should keep the other door closed...just in case.

Old 07-19-2012, 12:55 PM

1,188 posts, read 5,532,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Annie View Post
Take along a tin foil hat and present it to her the next time you walk past her. Assure her that it will prevent your dog from inciting her dogs to break through her glass door and perhaps she should keep the other door closed...just in case.
OMG, so funny!

Yes, if the details are as presented, the OP has nothing to worry about...sounds like the new neighbor will alienate herself and has some dogs issues. Don't let her ruffle your feathers...you can't logically deal with someone like that. Don't personalize it either!

Our new neighbors...we moved into a new area...are scared to death of our 85lb mix they think he's going to attack them. He's a pet therapy dog and works with individuals that have dementia. He's only barked at them after not seeing them all winter. He barked at them early in the spring. We told them it would stop after the novelty of seeing people on that side of our fence wore off...and the dogs no longer bark after that incident! Our dogs are only out on our property (10 acres) to run around when we are with them and our property is fully fenced. Our particular neighbors have some very serious dog fears. They asked us when we moved in to build our dogs a kennel to keep our dogs there, so that they didn't run around (on our property no less). We kindly reminded them that we bought and own the 10 acres we live on and that we planned to use our property as we wished with our dogs. Oh please, our dogs will never ever be kept in a kennel. These neighbors used to upset me with all their not nice passive remarks about our dogs, but now we simply laugh! People can be weird!

Old 07-19-2012, 12:59 PM

Thanks for the responses. Even though she said her dogs might come through the door, they were so placid I am taking that comment as hyperbole.

Maybe she confused my dog for another one? There are at least a hundred dogs in our neighborhood. But, if there was an aggressive dog, I think I'd have heard about it. For the most part, all the dogs are as well behaved as their owners ask them to be.

Old 07-19-2012, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainroosty View Post
I think there's a bunch of details missing from this story. If not, she's nuts.
I'd accuse her of having her dogs sending telepathic messages to your dogs to stir up all the trouble.

Can you think of any questions? Maybe there was something I overlooked.

- I showed her my dog was restrained and under complete control
- My dog never made any moves towards her except maybe a tail wag and head nod when we walked passed
- We never passed closer than 15 feet from her

Its an irritation, but in a small way its also a concern. We walk past that house several times a day. Most of the neighborhood does, in fact. I've warned my kids to go a different way unless one of us is with them.

Some people are just afraid of dogs. Some people are fine with dogs, but afraid of the shepard breds. But, I would think that someone who owns huskies wouldn't fit into either category. It would have been hilarious, though, if any of the little kids around here walked by at that moment. They can't keep their hands off my dog and she loves to do tricks for them.

Old 07-19-2012, 03:13 PM

19 posts, read 64,436 times
I definitely agree that I get more hesitation from people when they see my shephard and I walking than when I use to walk two golden retreivers. What is also amusing to me is that people will be like "Wow, that's a big dog" when seeing my shephard. But really he is a small shephard (only 78 lbs), and weights less than both the golden's I use to walk!

As long as your dog is restrained and not crossing into her yard, she is the crazy one. I would ask her to make sure that her dogs don't charge yours when on city streets! That could cause real problems if she can't control her dogs!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs