Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2011, 01:51 PM

2,288 posts, read 3,236,907 times

Advertisements

Thank you Dashdog for saying that. I just feel if I'd left her in her own state, it'd never have happened. But she paid me back with all the vet bills! She is a trip. No matter what she goes through, she is always a happy, happy dog. I've never seen anyone, man or beast, that could keep up such a great attitude. Nothing brings her down. She even lets my grand daughters dress her up & lug her around. lol And your right about anything can happen, no matter the transport...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2011, 02:01 PM

6,952 posts, read 22,679,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dashdog View Post
The problem with the dog park is she is too young so is not done with her shots so taking her and letting her run at a dogpark is more of a risk then I will take with a puppy. I see people bring pups that are too young to the dog park all the time butI feel better safe then sorry especially since Parvo seems to not be that rare these days.
we've had several cases of parvo in my boxer rescue this year, so if she is not fully vaccinated absolutely keep her away from the dog park!

Old 05-18-2011, 09:15 AM

5,094 posts, read 12,583,607 times
Off to Texas to get the pup! I will post photos after we get back home. It has been cool and stormy so looks like heat will not be an issue on my end!

Old 05-18-2011, 09:32 AM

417 posts, read 1,068,048 times
Quote:
Off to Texas to get the pup! I will post photos after we get back home. It has been cool and stormy so looks like heat will not be an issue on my end!
Yayyy!!! Lots of luck and looking forward to puppy pictures and stories when you return..safe travels!

Old 05-18-2011, 09:52 AM

1,204 posts, read 2,526,202 times
We just flew our Chocolate Lab from Oregon to Arizona a few weeks ago via, Alaska/Horizon Air Cargo, it is actually an animal transport service run by them, but I can't remember the name right now. Our dog is 7 years old and he did really well on the trip. He had one stop over in Portland, Or and if you give them permission and provide a leash they will take your dog out of his/her kennel and walk him/her. You also need to provide food, just in case and water. I took one of the clip on food/water containers and froze the water. It wasn't cheap, but it was a better way than driving him that many miles.

Good luck

Old 05-20-2011, 10:26 AM

Well I survived Texas. It was hot and humid but not sunny and the wind was blowing .By the time we got to the airport it had cooled enough as my fight was at 8:00 PM. I enjoyed meeting Luann who I met on one of the nasal cancer forums when We both had dogs with that cancer. She is a fantastic person and I could not have done this without her help. I also want to thank Carrollton West Pet Hospital for boarding her and the great care they gave her I could tell how much love they gave her this past week when they all said good bye to her.

Chaos is what I was hoping she would be,she has this wisdom about her and confidence. She just took everything in stride and was not at all nervous. She did poop in her crate on the way to the airport and I had already put a towel in there so good thing I had time to kill as I stopped at a PetSmart and borrowed scissors from them and cut the towel in half and tossed the soiled part and did a paw wash...thanks PetSmart! People there in Texas were very nice and helpful but so few sounded Texan and where the heck were the cowboys?? I wanted to save a horse... but saw no cowboys. if that does not make sense listen to some country music!!! lol!

At the airport she was great, very interested in everything and everyone got very excited to meet small childern. She had her feet up on the rollers that send the luggae back to the belt at check in and when they moved she was not at all afraid so she should have great confidence for agility! Took right to her crate too. The pilot let me know that Chaos was on board and he used her name but I was the only one that knew what he meant when he said we have Chaos on Board.The flight attendent saw her as they deboarded as Burbank is a small airport and when she walked in she was right there by the door waiting to be brought to me so she said hello to her then saw me and told me that she had seen her and how excited Chaos was and how cute. Except for the fact we were delayed it was a good flight.

she was quiet in the car ride home as it was 1.5 hrs and late at night. she acts like she has been here for years not hours! She seems to know this is home and is comfortable with that. Got right into Jazz's toy box and scattered toys in a very Jazz like fashion.

She is dieing to be Dazzles new best friend but he is a bit afraid of her and poor Phoenix is terrified but she is that way with puppies. Chaos is determined they WILL LOVE her. She follows Dazzle and carries his tail in her mouth which then freaks him out. I think Dazzle and Phoenix think this is some bad nightmare they are having while I am gone and can't wait for me to get back so life will be normal again as we did get home just before 1AM so they had been sound asleep before that..well pups it is not a dream.

Chaos settled right into her crate and slept until I woke her at 6:45 and took her out where she did her business.good pup!

I can see where she may have Cattle dog ( red heeler) in her as the markings on her coat are more cattle dog then not.Not sure what else is in her..lots of sweetness would be my guess.

Now that I have her I feel even stronger that for what ever reason she was meant to be my dog and the universe fell into place and got us together despite the miles from Santa Barbara to Irving.I could feel a strong presence of my mom during this.My Mom and I use to look at dogs on line or in the newspaper as her shelter posted about 16 dogs up for adoption every week so maybe my mom had something to do with this as I just feel she has been around and is happy about this pup. On the long drive home I felt very sad that Chaos and my mom will never meet in this life anyway as my mom would like her alot she is rather like a dog we had named Patches who was my moms buddy. We have to go to the vets soon so I will post some photos later...make you all wait as I know how you all love to wait for photos!!!!

Old 05-20-2011, 12:51 PM

9,352 posts, read 20,021,771 times
Quote:
Well I survived Texas. It was hot and humid but not sunny and the wind was blowing .By the time we got to the airport it had cooled enough as my fight was at 8:00 PM. I enjoyed meeting Luann who I met on one of the nasal cancer forums when We both had dogs with that cancer. She is a fantastic person and I could not have done this without her help. I also want to thank Carrollton West Pet Hospital for boarding her and the great care they gave her I could tell how much love they gave her this past week when they all said good bye to her.

Chaos is what I was hoping she would be,she has this wisdom about her and confidence. She just took everything in stride and was not at all nervous. She did poop in her crate on the way to the airport and I had already put a towel in there so good thing I had time to kill as I stopped at a PetSmart and borrowed scissors from them and cut the towel in half and tossed the soiled part and did a paw wash...thanks PetSmart! People there in Texas were very nice and helpful but so few sounded Texan and where the heck were the cowboys?? I wanted to save a horse... but saw no cowboys. if that does not make sense listen to some country music!!! lol!

At the airport she was great, very interested in everything and everyone got very excited to meet small childern. She had her feet up on the rollers that send the luggae back to the belt at check in and when they moved she was not at all afraid so she should have great confidence for agility! Took right to her crate too. The pilot let me know that Chaos was on board and he used her name but I was the only one that knew what he meant when he said we have Chaos on Board.The flight attendent saw her as they deboarded as Burbank is a small airport and when she walked in she was right there by the door waiting to be brought to me so she said hello to her then saw me and told me that she had seen her and how excited Chaos was and how cute. Except for the fact we were delayed it was a good flight.

she was quiet in the car ride home as it was 1.5 hrs and late at night. she acts like she has been here for years not hours! She seems to know this is home and is comfortable with that. Got right into Jazz's toy box and scattered toys in a very Jazz like fashion.

She is dieing to be Dazzles new best friend but he is a bit afraid of her and poor Phoenix is terrified but she is that way with puppies. Chaos is determined they WILL LOVE her. She follows Dazzle and carries his tail in her mouth which then freaks him out. I think Dazzle and Phoenix think this is some bad nightmare they are having while I am gone and can't wait for me to get back so life will be normal again as we did get home just before 1AM so they had been sound asleep before that..well pups it is not a dream.

Chaos settled right into her crate and slept until I woke her at 6:45 and took her out where she did her business.good pup!

I can see where she may have Cattle dog ( red heeler) in her as the markings on her coat are more cattle dog then not.Not sure what else is in her..lots of sweetness would be my guess.

Now that I have her I feel even stronger that for what ever reason she was meant to be my dog and the universe fell into place and got us together despite the miles from Santa Barbara to Irving.I could feel a strong presence of my mom during this.My Mom and I use to look at dogs on line or in the newspaper as her shelter posted about 16 dogs up for adoption every week so maybe my mom had something to do with this as I just feel she has been around and is happy about this pup. On the long drive home I felt very sad that Chaos and my mom will never meet in this life anyway as my mom would like her alot she is rather like a dog we had named Patches who was my moms buddy. We have to go to the vets soon so I will post some photos later...make you all wait as I know how you all love to wait for photos!!!!

i am sensing the queen's paw in all this.... i think she set the whole thing up.... knowing how you and she had such a bond.... she wanted you to have another herder to turn into an agility champion.....

and now.... waiting waiting waiting for pictures and the report from the vet visit......

Old 05-20-2011, 01:11 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,013,815 times
Jan, I could not be happier for you right now! Absolutely thrilled is more like it. You've had your share -- and then some! -- of not-so-great luck this past year, and you were so due for some goodness. I'm happy that it came in the form of Chaos!

Best of everything to all of you.

Old 05-20-2011, 03:55 PM

4,918 posts, read 22,673,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lauramc27 View Post
We just flew our Chocolate Lab from Oregon to Arizona a few weeks ago via, Alaska/Horizon Air Cargo, it is actually an animal transport service run by them, but I can't remember the name right now. Our dog is 7 years old and he did really well on the trip. He had one stop over in Portland, Or and if you give them permission and provide a leash they will take your dog out of his/her kennel and walk him/her. You also need to provide food, just in case and water. I took one of the clip on food/water containers and froze the water. It wasn't cheap, but it was a better way than driving him that many miles.

Good luck
You do know that there is very little diffrence between transoporting a pet like normal and their special service? Once the animal gets to the plane, there is NO diffrence in how it's handled they all go in the same area and are loaded in the same manner.

When you have a stop-over, all the animals will be moved to a climate controled holding area (luggage or cargo) and they are held in the same place to be distributed to other flights. It's exactly how Continental's safepet program works and most other do but don;t have a special name for it.

I seriously doubt that they will walk the dogs because their terms and conditions specifically state they will not remove any dog from a kennel except in an emergency once the trip starts. Just look at the feedinga nd water conduitions, they say they can only do it THROUGH the kennel not out of the kennel. Why, because they are prohibited from opeiong the kennel while in transit. its possible they may walk it before they take it to the cargo building its possible they may walk it after it arrives from cargo sorting but considering that your pet flying petstreak is still being moved to or just sitting in a crate in some cargo area while all the pets transported as luggage is already in an a/c building, walking them (or telling people they walk them) isn;t a bad PR stunt.

Old 05-20-2011, 04:13 PM

Here is a photo I am having trouble getting photos on as I put on one and when I move the next the first is gone as is my reply so will have to do several replies. Meet Chaos 13 weeks old
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs