Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2011, 07:07 AM

87 posts, read 192,613 times

Advertisements

Hello my girlfriend and I recently bought a house (we move in on the 13th of may!!!!!!!) and we want to get a dog. We have 1 child (4 years old). Due to us going to work everyday, the puppy will have to be alone from 8 am to when I go home for lunch, then from 1-3ish when my g/f gets home. Is that ok for a new puppy?

Also we need to get a smaller dog that doesn't shed alot/not shed at all because our son is allergic. Is there any dogs you would reccommend us?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2011, 07:20 AM

5,064 posts, read 15,899,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hamlin6969 View Post
Also we need to get a smaller dog that doesn't shed alot/not shed at all because our son is allergic.
How allergic? How often has your son been around other dogs, and for how long? Unless you know just how allergic he is, you should be cautious about getting a dog, even one that doesn't shed a lot. Your son could still have an allergic reaction, and it could get worse over time.

Old 05-12-2011, 07:31 AM

10,326 posts, read 17,427,673 times
miniature poodle

Old 05-12-2011, 07:37 AM

4,231 posts, read 15,424,202 times
I agree w/ the above poster - expose him to different dogs - and if all goes well, would strongly consider a poodle, shih-tzu, bichon etc from breed rescue group (ex. poodle rescue group) - they know the temperments of their dogs and you'd prob. be able to spend time w/ the dog before adopting it so you'd have a good idea of any allergic reaction your son might have. Also, an adult would be better able to be somewhat by itself than a young puppy who will likely need feedings every few hours, going outside every few hrs too (not to say an adult dog doesn't but an adult dog is more predictable). There are other breeds who are good for ppl w/ allergies but are too small to be considered a good match for a young toddler, toddlers tend to want to pick them up and can drop them and inadvertently injure a young puppy (or even an adult, a lot of supervision w/b needed at all times, esp. in the beginning).

You might want to google dog shows in your area to get an idea of what's out there and then go thru a breed rescue group.

BTW, congrats on your new house!

Old 05-12-2011, 07:47 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,078,069 times
Depending on where you are, you may have trouble finding a bichon of the appropriate age and temperament. I have been looking for a rescue bichon near N.C. without much success. Any mill rescue will not be good with kids and most rescues have a "kid not under 10" rule.

I would caution that you are not in the best position to have a puppy. Your child is too young to understand and a puppy is too young to be left alone for so long.

Please research long and hard before you bring a dog of any age in your home. Don't go by looks alone as each breed has physical activity requirements, certain temperament issues, etc.

Old 05-12-2011, 07:48 AM

6,952 posts, read 22,686,569 times
Suggest you get a rescue dog who is an adult; age 3+. Puppies cannot hold their water more than a few hours at a time so someone has to come home to let them out to pee. They also have razor sharp nails to scratch butter soft kid skin; and puppies have awful manners and need patience and training. With a new house, working jobs and a young child, you have your hands full and you are setting yourself and a puppy up for tough times. Find the breed you like and find a rescue group; or find an all breed rescue group that has some cute mixes. They will have house trained dogs and the foster parents can help you find the perfect match -- a dog who is ok with being home alone and good with kids. Don't fall into the silly mental trap that causes tons of young dogs sitting in cages at shelters. Another good thing about adopting from a rescue --- the worthy ones take the dog back if it doesn't work out -- so you don't have to be plagued with knowing you put your dog at euthansia risk if it does not work out.

Some things to think about: Often after getting a new dog, it is discovered one of the family members is allergic. (another reason dogs wind up at the pound). Fluffies like maltese, poodle, bischon are less likely to cause allergies but they require monthly grooming -- budget $50 per month. All dogs need exercise -- that means at lease 45 minute walk daily -- especially larger dogs. Are you prepared to do this? Some dogs are ok with less exercise (Boston Terriers, if they have doggie doors, do a lot of self exercising -- great dogs, but some are stinky -- fart alot more than most dogs). The same dogs that are great with kids (example Boxers) are often very, very lonely if left alone and again need much exercise.

My next recommendation: Why don't you TRY OUT dog ownership by volunteering to be a foster home for a rescue group. They will give you the supplies and knowledge and you can test it out. If you go this route, be picky about the dog you foster -- you might be fostering it for a while, and you want one that is highly adoptable. I went this route and the first dog I took, I said I would take the "one that was most in need" and I got a sweet, leash aggressive dog who red-zoned whenever we took a walk. It was a long process to retrain and get her adopted.

Old 05-12-2011, 07:56 AM

12,980 posts, read 14,562,129 times
I am curious as to why you would get a dog if your son is allergic? How allergic is he? We got our dog when my son was 10 months old, and only discovered he was severely allergic to cats and dogs a few years later. We contemplated finding the dog another home, but by then she was a part of the family. We keep the dog out of my son's room, and a few other measures, but I could not in good conscience bring another pet into the home as it really does impact my son's health.

My point - think about this very carefully.

Last edited by Zimbochick; 05-12-2011 at 08:06 AM..

Old 05-12-2011, 07:56 AM

462 posts, read 1,210,642 times
Havanese. Great small indoor dog that doesn't shed or have that "dog" smell. Good for allergies. We have two. Did the same as you will do while a puppy....ran home on lunch break to give potty break. Was alone from 7:30 to 5:30 with exception of mid-day break. Was just fine. Not saying there wasn't any accidents but they outgrow that is they get a little bit older. Eventually, they can go all day as they do now without break. They don't need feedings throughout the day. Once in the morning...once in the evening. Did feel guilty for leaving older one home alone during day...hence the reason for the second one as a playmate. Same training schedule...was just fine.

Old 05-12-2011, 08:04 AM

87 posts, read 192,613 times
Thanks for your replys;

Both our parents have dogs, he is only allergeric to the dog that doesnt have human like hair. He is good with my moms shih tzu and her moms poodle. He gets red eyes with the black lab.

Unfortunitly we cannot adopt a dog from a shelter here. I live in Thunder Bay, Ontario and the rescue dogs here are either german shepherds or labs..which he is allergic to.

We live a block away from a lake which has a walking/biking path that goes fulling around it so excerise will not be an issue for the dog.

I am also confused about the "he is too young" thing. My parents got a dog when I was about his age and I was fine with him. (was a small dog)

Old 05-12-2011, 08:11 AM

12,980 posts, read 14,562,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hamlin6969 View Post
I am also confused about the "he is too young" thing. My parents got a dog when I was about his age and I was fine with him. (was a small dog)
I don't think it's too young at all, as long as you take the dog to classes. We sought out a program geared towards families with kids, and I would highly recommend that. Small dogs can be a bit snippy, so perhaps that is what others were referring to. I will say getting a puppy, and leaving them locked up alone for long stretches can be problematic. I think that is when they get bored and into all sorts of mischief. If you really want a puppy think about getting it when you can spend more time with it. Just my opinion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs