U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2011, 06:01 PM

29,125 posts, read 21,975,499 times

Advertisements

"It will take a health department issues (people getting sick, a child dying, food contamination, a person being bitten) for these dog owners to be controlled."

Oh my!

What is with the anti-dog vitriol. Most dogs are a lot cleaner and well behaved then some people. Why do you think dogs are trained as service animals? Do you think they would be used in such a capacity if it was likely they could make a person sick, bite a child, or contaminate food? The service dogs are trained to do their job - beyond that they have nothing special about them that would make them any less less likely to do the above things as another dog. The fact is that a trained domestic dog is usually clean, healthy, and well behaved. The fact is that you have been conditioned by the ADA law to distinguish between a "special" dog and all other domestic dogs. The only dogs one should be concerned about in a public place are feral animals. But I forget - I am in California - Liberal La-La land where everyone thinks it is their business to regulate the business of everyone else - including judging there dog as a hazard to human health without any evidence. As I said on another thread dealing with personal liberty threats - PATHETIC!

Old 10-30-2011, 06:35 PM

378 posts, read 641,425 times
The OP wasn't anti-dog, just expressing frustration with the people who use fake "Service Dog" vests on untrained dogs to have an excuse to carry their pet with them wherever they go. Often those dogs are spoiled and poorly socialized and their presence causes distraction and other problems in the businesses they frequent. They make things harder for those with legitimately trained service dogs.

A dog that is not an official service dog or undergoing training shouldn't be in areas where dogs are not normally permitted. Plain and simple.

So I would say it was anti-annoying-people vitriol. And well-deserved.

Old 10-30-2011, 09:35 PM

1,626 posts, read 3,263,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lola88 View Post
These "comfort dogs" masquerading as "service dogs" are a huge problem. It will take a health department issues (people getting sick, a child dying, food contamination, a person being bitten) for these dog owners to be controlled.
I started noticing a lot of them in airports a few years back and it occurred to me that the owners must be faking it. It was just too coincidental that all of these service dogs suddenly started appearing there. If they are faking it it's pretty repulsive self-entitled behavior if you ask me.

Old 10-31-2011, 02:22 AM

30,528 posts, read 33,353,977 times
"Emotional support" dogs? Dogs you train yourself? For 2 years starting when you are 17? I don't think so.

Apparently EVERYONE has a disability now. I'm not buying this. I'm not anti dog, I'm anti people who think they can do whatever the hell they want with them.

Old 10-31-2011, 02:39 PM

6,021 posts, read 13,518,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunbar42 View Post
I started noticing a lot of them in airports a few years back and it occurred to me that the owners must be faking it. It was just too coincidental that all of these service dogs suddenly started appearing there. If they are faking it it's pretty repulsive self-entitled behavior if you ask me.
Airports are no joke and definitely NOT a place for fake service dogs! I used to work at O'Hare and saw my share of ill trained and not fully socialized pet dogs. I have no doubts that the FAA has stricter rules regarding service dogs. We're not just talking about letting someone rent a "no pets" apartment with their "emotional support" pet. We're talking about flying in (what many people will constantly remind you of) a post 9/11 world. If a pet dog masquerading as a service dog freaks out and manages to run away from its owner, that could shot down a terminal. If the same thing happened on board a flight, it could possibly cause the plane to be rerouted. you don't know how a pet may react to a plane taking off. I've been on flights where I had no clue there was a service dog on board until the flight landed and passengers got off. On the other hand, I've heard pet dogs yip, yowl, growl, and whine throughout a couple of flights and even in the airport.

Love dogs to bits, but I have zero tolerance for people who abuse rules meant for people who really need it

Old 10-31-2011, 02:56 PM

12,825 posts, read 20,071,484 times
Doncha know? It's cruel to leash a dog ... dogs just want to be FREE!! /sarc

Old 11-07-2011, 08:53 AM

12 posts, read 59,128 times
Default Allowing Emotional Support and fake service animals onto planes HAS to stop!

People with psychiatric disabilities whose psychiatrists provide letters identifying them as having a disabling DSM diagnosis and supporting their benefitting from the emotional support of a companion animal can use them to get their emotional support animals into housing where pets aren't allowed or extra rent and/or a deposit they can't afford are charged. That's fine by me, as long as the creature isn't a nuisance. But the fact that such a letter can also get that animal into a plane is one reason I'll never fly anywhere (I'll take Amtrak or Greyhound, both of which allow only service dogs). If a person with a psychiatric disability can leave their dog at home to go to the grocery store, the mall, or the movies, they can damn well save up the money to check it as freight like the pet it actually is, IMHO. But then there are the smartass pet owners and conformation, obedience, and agility competitors who either think their precious pooches should be above the law, are too cheap to pay freight charges, or happen to be flying during extreme weather conditions during which it's unsafe for animals to be checked as freight and airlines won't accept them. One golden retriever club lost its AKC membership status after its president was brazen enough to post instructions for how to masquerade as a service dog team on their Web site!! And yet a person with a service dog trained to assist them with a psychiatric disability must obey the same rules - which include making reservations no less than 48 hours in advance - as someone with an emotional support animal. In that situation, I don't blame them for dressing their dogs in generic service dog paraphernalia and identifying it merely as a service dog; why should the nature of their disability justify invading their privacy and imposing time constraints? If they're going to do that to allow emotional support and mental health service animals, they should require medical documentation of disability from everyone who wants to bring a dog into an aircraft. That would eliminate 95% of the fakes right there.

Old 11-07-2011, 09:26 AM

12 posts, read 59,128 times
misscutiebum went to great lengths to make it clear that her dog is a service dog, NOT an emotional support animal (which needs NO training, as it's just a pet, legally, once it's out of its owner's home). People with psychiatric disabilities usually have no choice but to train their own service dogs, as not only are there very, very few service dog providers that do it, but those that do impose conditions that many people with psychiatric disabilities are unable to meet (please see my first post on this thread). As for her age and the length of time she spent training her dog, since when is there an age limit for dog trainers? Any professional trainer will tell you that they'd rather work with a child and their pet than an adult and theirs because the child has fewer preconceived notions and bad habits, and the longest a service dog training facility takes to task-train an older adolescent or young adult dog that has had basic obedience and public access training is six months; a purpose-bred dog raised and trained by and under the authority of a service dog organization is about two when it's teamed with a disabled handler. Considering that the president of a prominent national organization that promotes the use of service dogs by people with psychiatric disabilities claimed that she considered her first such service dog, which she got as a puppy, to be fully trained at five months old (and it was a breed that isn't fully physically mature until age two!), I'm impressed that she held herself to that standard. So, what's your problem, exactly? Do you just assume that all people with psychiatric disabilities try to pass off emotional support animals as service dogs, or are you opposed to our having service dogs, period (despite the fact that the federally recognized definition of "service animal" was recently changed and now specifically mentions their use by people with psychiatric disabilities)? I hope I've cleared up a few misconceptions for you.

Old 11-12-2011, 05:35 PM

1,803 posts, read 6,268,774 times
Just had to chime in on this one. Some of the posts were rather funny. I agree, no fake service dogs. But listen to this one. My husband was in the airport the other day and called me in shock saying he had just seen, drum roll please... a miniature horse (what the heck?) as a service animal. Neither he nor I had ever heard of such a thing.

Old 11-12-2011, 08:10 PM

29,125 posts, read 21,975,499 times
Some people are allergic to dogs. Miniature horses are the correct size, are intelligent, and have the right temperament to be trained as a service animal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or