Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2011, 11:41 AM

221 posts, read 484,400 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.Jessup View Post
If this young woman had a psychiatric disability (“crazy” was both imprecise and insulting), she made the same mistakes many people with this disability do: She neither access-trained nor task-trained her dog before identifying it as a service animal. This is illegal under both state and federal law. Under state law, I think she could be fined up to $1,500, spend six months in jail, or both; I'm sure federal penalties are worse. Instead of whining about how horrible her dog was and exhibiting your prejudice against women who benefit from having properly trained service dogs, who are probably better companions than women who rely on human assistants - often boyfriends or husbands - to help them cope with their disabilities - why don't you do something useful, like report her to the police? Just a thought.
Wait a friggin minute? Who the hell brought gender into this discussion? The OP was talking about people who are bringing fake service dogs in public places (which is FRAUD, plain and simple). Makes no friggin difference if they are men or women. They are breaking the law, and they should be punished for it (or atleast thrown out of those public places if they refuse to lose the dog). NO woman is entitled to break the law because she is a woman. Women are not entitled to any sort of preferential treatment at all. Also, service dogs are NOT meant to be companions, and I don't want to hear that crap about "needing a companion to help them cope with their 'disabilities,'" and you can stop with the male bashing. Service dogs are for the blind and the physically disabled, and those with cardiac illness (as a poster pointed out). A service dog is NOT there to help someone feel better about themself (they are free to use any pet for that kind of stuff [even though I think it's an utter misuse of a living being], but they are not permitted to bring that pet in a store or restaurant or any public establishment that does not allow pets). NO PETS IN PUBLIC PLACES...UNLESS THEY ARE REAL SERVICE DOGS WHO ARE ASSISTING THE OWNER WITH REAL/LEGAL DISABILITIES!

Old 11-13-2011, 08:42 PM

9,197 posts, read 16,836,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
Miniature horses are the correct size, are intelligent, and have the right temperament to be trained as a service animal.
Marmaduke says "Yes".

No support here for companion cats? Parrots? Hamsters? Amoeba?

Old 11-14-2011, 02:00 AM

12 posts, read 64,632 times
While miniature horses have been trained to guide people who are blind, effective March 15, 2011, only dogs trained to assist people with disabilities meet the legal definition of "service animal" under federal law. Regulatory law goes on to state that people with miniature horses (which can weigh as little as 30 lb. and be housetrained) may be granted public access at the discretion of the business our service involved. This basically puts the notion of avian, rodent and reptile "service animals" to rest...except in states where there aren't any species restrictions on service animals, I suppose (though meeting the common legal definition of "service animal" would logically exclude reptiles and rodents because they can't be trained to do work or perform tasks that directly relate to a disability).

Old 11-14-2011, 02:05 AM

12 posts, read 64,632 times
As "companion" is merely a fancy word for "pet", of course cats, hamsters, and parties may be companions; if you were an avid microbiologist, I suppose you could have a companion amoeba, too. But under federal law that went into effect this year, only dogs may meet the legal definition of "service animal".

Old 11-14-2011, 11:19 AM

7,541 posts, read 6,268,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T.Jessup View Post
But under federal law that went into effect this year, only dogs may meet the legal definition of "service animal".

It will probably be challenged. I know several people who are blind, but use trained monkeys to help them out (around the house, to shop etc). One of them is allergic to dogs as well as cats.

Old 11-14-2011, 01:21 PM

56 posts, read 126,588 times
Everywhere I went in Portland, people's dogs were Service Dogs. Apparently it's really easy to get the paperwork.
But I didn't have a problem with it, since every dog was SO WELL BEHAVED. Seriously, I don't know what they do up there.

Old 11-15-2011, 01:03 PM

29,094 posts, read 25,996,493 times
In Portland? I suppose they blow marijuana smoke the dogs way.

Old 11-15-2011, 01:06 PM

56 posts, read 126,588 times
Perhaps so!

Old 11-15-2011, 09:45 PM

418 posts, read 1,734,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lola88 View Post

In the U.S., according to the Department of Justice's Business Brief concerning Service Animals, business owners/managers can ask 2 specific questions. 1) Is this a service dog required because of a disability? and 2) What task(s) is the dog trained to perform? If these questions are not appropriately answered, the business may exclude the animal, but not the person.
Yes, because being a jerk to the 999 customers who have legitimate service animals is totally worth the opportunity to catch the 1 person who's faking it. That's a great way to create good will among customers!

I love it when people have a disproportionate obsession with non-issues.

Old 11-16-2011, 01:09 PM

9,197 posts, read 16,836,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
In Portland? I suppose they blow marijuana smoke the dogs way.
Well, he said it's easy to get the paperwork...same for 'medical' (Service?) weed.

Dogs are pretty funny when you're stoned. Dispensaries should offer discounts for dog owners. Short little horsies, too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs