U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2011, 01:08 PM

4,286 posts, read 13,365,799 times

Advertisements

PAhippo - thx. I'm assuming these are no kill shelters, you didn't say. Like I said, not sure they would give up the dog, then what? Should I try that and then call animal control if they don't surrender the dog? That might be a plan.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2011, 01:12 PM

I just called one of the numbers, thank you. I got voice mail but left a message.

Old 05-17-2011, 01:23 PM

4,322 posts, read 2,536,074 times
Talk to your local vererinary clinics they may be able to direct you to someone who can help with this poor dog. He deserves to be treated better!!! Thank you

Old 05-17-2011, 02:54 PM

1,286 posts, read 2,960,466 times
While I understand the suggestions to just "take the dog," my concern would be that they would simply get another dog and subject him/her to the same conditions. The key would be to somehow educate these people on responsible pet ownership.

I think there is a group out there that provides fencing for people who can't afford to do it themselves.
Help Chained Dogs | A Common Form of Animal Cruelty

Thanks for caring.

Old 05-17-2011, 03:07 PM

1,906 posts, read 1,342,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atina33 View Post
While I understand the suggestions to just "take the dog," my concern would be that they would simply get another dog and subject him/her to the same conditions. The key would be to somehow educate these people on responsible pet ownership.

I think there is a group out there that provides fencing for people who can't afford to do it themselves.
Help Chained Dogs | A Common Form of Animal Cruelty

Thanks for caring.

I've seen this (in bold) happen far too frequently. Usually they can't be educated. Wait...won't be educated.

Old 05-17-2011, 10:07 PM

43,012 posts, read 91,977,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatsCats View Post
I've seen this (in bold) happen far too frequently. Usually they can't be educated. Wait...won't be educated.
My girlfriend was like this, except her dog was kept in the basement. When she took it to the humane society, I begged her to not get another dog.

Fortunately, a switch to a small dog made all the difference. It was a size and temperment she could manage.

Old 05-17-2011, 10:11 PM

25,953 posts, read 26,670,768 times
I'll be honest here with you. My backyard neighbors, who yelll at each other and the kids constantly, to the point I amsost called children's services. Then they went and got a dog and then tied it up to the basketball pole between the garage and house and for HOURS this poor dog would bark and it echoed and right into my bedroom.

One day the dog was just barking out of control. I got a ladder to look over the fence and saw the mother in the driivewa just talking away with someone and the kids were playing with each other just at the end of the dogs tether and ignoring it and I yelled, "ARE YOU PEOPLE CRAZY - CAN'T YOU HEAR THAT?!!!"

I called the police on them a couple times, but always used a local public phone.

I finally, at midnight one night, they still weren't home and they'd left the dog outside barking for hours (I had 4 of my own and also fostered so it's not that I'm not patient) went over and took the pup and a friend of mine held it overnight and the next day - a Saturday, I drove to a different state (I sit on the boarder of three) and surrendered it as a sray at a resue adoption event.

Illegal, probably for sure, morally and the best interest of the dog's well being - ABSOLUTELY and I will never apologize for what I did.

Old 05-18-2011, 05:46 AM

4,127 posts, read 13,260,570 times
Kudo's for going out on a limb and helping the poor dog - in an ideal world, the owners w/h done right by the dog (maybe realizing later they werent really dog ppl and giving the dog up b/c it's in his best interests) - bottom line, it's no life for any dog (cringing at the thought of mine living like that for 5 minutes). Glad he was able to make a fresh start elsewhere.

Old 05-18-2011, 02:53 PM

Just passed there and the porr thing is looking so sad. The woman from dogs deserve better hasn't called me back. I'll try again.

Old 05-18-2011, 03:10 PM

25,953 posts, read 26,670,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapture View Post
Just passed there and the porr thing is looking so sad. The woman from dogs deserve better hasn't called me back. I'll try again.
When trying to find a rescue for a pet the best route to go is breed specific if you know it's primary breed. Than you can do one of two things. Type in the dog breed and the word rescue behind it in your browser and see what comes up. The other thing you can do is go onto Petfinder and put in the breed name and your zip code and it will show you all the dogs up for adoption and the name of the rescue behind it - look at those for a breed specific rescue.

I had to rehome a dog and went to a breed specific and they were right on it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs