U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-17-2011, 11:01 PM

2 posts, read 6,851 times

Advertisements

I am moving to Hawaii from LAX around September 2011 dates are flexible. Looking for anyone chartering a flight I can get in on I have two dogs. Anyone ever use the Dog Travel Company? There website is kinda weird didn't know if they were legit. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2011, 07:46 AM

6,591 posts, read 20,707,191 times
dogs cannot enter hawaii in the cabin, they HAVE to be in cargo, and unless your dogs have their pet passports (a very specific method of medical recorrding) they will HAVE to be put into quarentein...

no dog enters england or hawaii wihtout a pet passport or quarrentein.

all dogs flying into ether of these countries, pet passport or not are requred by law to travel in the cargo hold, and most airlines that travel to hawaii will also transport pets as long as any and all paperwork is correct (pet passport, or other required pet travel documents like a vets health certification)

the pet passport system takes aproximatly 6-8 months to complete, upon complation (if done correctly) the dog doesnt have to go into the quarrentein.

however with a normal helath certificate the dogs can fly but they would be placed into a quarrentein kennel for the duration of the quarrentein period (and you pay for this)

Pet Importation-Hawaii

Old 05-18-2011, 09:22 AM

4,919 posts, read 19,786,043 times
Nobody has been sucessful in getting a trip to hawaii from that company. Many have paid their membership but not one trip has ever occured. I have also known only 2 people that have successfully arranged a private charter to HI from the mainland and in both cases they told me they would never do it again.

One thing to clarify, Hawaii has no regulations on where a pet flys in the aircraft. You can bring them in the cabin if the airline allowes it. No airline allowes it. Hawaii pet quarantine is exact and strict. They do not play around and they do not bend rules. If they catch someone trying to get through without DoA procedures, its a big deal and the airline can get fined a whole lot of money. Because people have triued to by pass the system when the plane lands, airlines said enough is enough and *********, no more pets in the cabin. Blame the pet owners for this!

here is a link to Hawaii's official website
http://hawaii.gov/hdoa/ai/aqs/info
Read the information and follow it. Know the rules because there is no exceptions. I have watched people coming out of the DoA airport facility in tears because they messed one thing up and their pet is not being released. If you have any questions or don't understand something. call them. They are some of the nicest people to work with and they do want your pets trip to be as easy as possible.

You can enter Hawaii with your pet and no paperwork, but it will be sent to quarantine. You can eneter hawaii with only some of the requirments done and your pet will stay in quarantine until all the requirments are finished. If you are planning to go to the Big Island or maui for a release oin those islands, you need a neighboring island permit. Airlines will not allow any animal from mainland to any island but Oahu without a neighborig island permit. If you do not have that permit, Honolulu is the only airport you can arrive in without any paperwork.

Now, since no airline allowes pets in the cabin, and a private charter flight usually cost $6,000 and up per person, you may have to look at alternatives. One overlooked alternative is there is a scheduled cargo only flight tht makes the overnight run from LAX to HON. Your dog along with cats, horses, sheep, cattle and whatever other animal they are carrying, flys in the cabin (the whole plane is the cabin) . Upon arrival the animals are taken to DoA airport facility just like if on a passsenger plane.

Now, I have say, hundred of animals arrive in Hawaii in the cargo areas of planes all the time and according to DOT, Hawaii seems to be the safest travel destination for pets in the US. The main reason in my mind is your dog has to go through a lot in preperation for the trip so odds are they are much more healthy than the average pet people travel with that could have illnesses.

There are also many post on traveling with pets to Hawaii on the Hawaii forum. You also wil be able to read the many post from others who ended up traveling with their dogs in cargo and nothing happened. Peoiple will explain the process and tip to avaoid problems (like making sure the inspectors can read the paperwork from the vet and determin it was a real signature and not a computer generated one so try and get the vet to sign in anotyher color ink to avaoid the delays as they try and contact the vet for verification) and how there are no luggae carts at DoA facility so bring one from the terminal. And alothough the airpiort prohibist pets to pee or poop on airport property, the post office (next door) has a nice grassy spot.

I would sugets chekcing out the Hawaii forum or if you have a specific question, feel free to send me a direct message and I;ll get you an answer. Aloha-
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or