Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-18-2011, 01:36 PM

3,184 posts, read 4,844,740 times

Advertisements

I'm moving to a large apartment and I will have enough room to expand my 40lb pooch's confinement from a crate to something bigger. What are some alternatives to a dog crate? I'm thinking along the lines of a small indoor exercise pen-type of confinement. Anybody have any creative ideas? My dog is mellow, quiet, and generally nondestructive. She actually seems to enjoy her crate, even for longer periods of time (she'll greet me when I let her out then go back in voluntarily when I'm just hanging out nearby).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2011, 01:39 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,917,108 times
Maybe consider putting a baby gate up at the kitchen or bathroom door? Be certain not to leave anything on the counter-tops!

Old 05-18-2011, 01:43 PM

4,585 posts, read 12,361,755 times
Ex-pens, I put several together for my growing puppy and you can find "tops" for them too.

Old 05-18-2011, 03:17 PM

26,142 posts, read 31,176,077 times
I use this for litters of foster puppies and you can also get additional panels to extend it or buy two and hook them together. Just double check the height to see if it is suitable for your dog and he/she won't climb out of it.

Old 05-18-2011, 04:03 PM

718 posts, read 2,078,594 times
How about his/her own room?

Old 05-18-2011, 04:35 PM

7,378 posts, read 12,659,218 times
You know what? It'll be such a strain on the dog to go through the move--keep the crate for at least a few months, it'll be her refuge. Maybe with the door open inside a larger fenced-off area. Then you can reassess the situation later. We did away with crate altogether--donated it--when our rescue had learned the do's and don'ts of our household and proven herself to be housebroken. She took refuge in the crate for a few months, and then moved her safe place over to the old couch we gave her. We don't want to keep our dogs confined to a crate when we're not home because of the fire danger (SoCal canyon country), but each dog/ home is different.

Old 05-18-2011, 04:43 PM

3,184 posts, read 4,844,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Fork Fantast View Post
You know what? It'll be such a strain on the dog to go through the move--keep the crate for at least a few months, it'll be her refuge. Maybe with the door open inside a larger fenced-off area. Then you can reassess the situation later. We did away with crate altogether--donated it--when our rescue had learned the do's and don'ts of our household and proven herself to be housebroken. She took refuge in the crate for a few months, and then moved her safe place over to the old couch we gave her. We don't want to keep our dogs confined to a crate when we're not home because of the fire danger (SoCal canyon country), but each dog/ home is different.
That's a great suggestion. Actually my plan is to keep the crate for a bit, and introduce her to the larger pen eventually exactly as you said. If I could rely on my pooch to not jump onto the couch or get into the fully enclosed garbage can I probably wouldn't crate her at all. Unfortunately no amount of training on my part has gotten her to that point yet. Not to mention she would get into my former roommate's stuff/food all the time (he couldn't be trusted to clean up after himself )

Old 05-18-2011, 05:41 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,543,435 times
If she's not destructive, I'd probably just confine her to a room when left alone. That's what I'd do with mine if he could be trusted not to tear up whatever room he's confined to. Sadly not the case, though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs