U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2011, 09:05 AM

43,012 posts, read 92,000,781 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mt-7 View Post
Hopes, remember to post on the rainbow bridge, I just went through this and I have and still find some solace there.
You know in your heart when it is time, you love them so you want them to be free.
My son was still at college but I discovered that maybe I was using that as a way to postpone the decision. Maybe you can have a friend go along. It helps just to have another along.
Best regards, mt-7
I've always avoided Rainbow Bridge but I have a feeling I'll be posting there soon. No worries, I have hubby here.

It's definitely time, but he must be waiting for our son since he sort of rebounded this morning. I do fear that he will regress in the evening like yesterday. We'll see. I'm just going to take this one moment at a time this weekend.

One thing I know for sure, if he does rebound, I'm not going to stop the plans because I know it will be temporary and we'll be back to where we are now again soon. It's....just....time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2011, 09:10 AM

12,054 posts, read 20,198,817 times
Hopes, I am so sorry. I know that your heart aches and that it is like a punch in the stomach. All of us have experienced this pain. When our Simon lost his dignity, it was like he was pleading for us to take care of the situation. So know that we are all with you in this difficult time and that he let you know that it was his time to go. It never gets easier. My thoughts are with you during this very difficult time.

Old 05-21-2011, 09:22 AM

5,453 posts, read 7,340,067 times
My heart goes out to you. We had to make this decision in February with our 15 year old lab/golden mix. She was alert but did not have quality of life, if anything we should have made the decision months earlier. I still picture her running with her siblings in her pain free world.

Old 05-21-2011, 09:29 AM

16,648 posts, read 26,620,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
No good news. But no bad news. The medicine didn't cause the seizures since he only started it yesterday. The vet added a seizure medication. He's doing much better today---did about 20 laps trotting around the yard this morning. But this is just because of bandaid treatments keeping him glued together. It's reached the point where I realize that he has been through enough. I scheduled an appointment for him to be pts on Monday afternoon.
I don't know what to say.

All I know is that I want to give you a big, warm hug.

I'm so sorry that you and your son are going through this.

Old 05-21-2011, 11:46 AM

1,439 posts, read 2,481,337 times
Hopes, I am so sorry for you and your lovely old dog.
I am sending hope that you find comfort in knowing your dog will be waiting to greet you again with a wagging tail over the bridge.
((( Big Hugs))) to you both.

Old 05-21-2011, 12:39 PM

7,330 posts, read 13,170,630 times
Hopes, I'm so very sorry. I know you're dreading Monday, but he'll go quickly and peacefully. Not that it makes it so much easier for us. You gave him a good long life, and I know he gave your family a lot too. Try to keep those thoughts in mind.

Old 05-21-2011, 12:42 PM

4,705 posts, read 10,126,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Awe. That's sweet. I did pts my childhood peakapoo when I was 27. She was over 20 years old. I had her literally my entire life. I haven't had to do this since. This lab is the second dog I've owned as an adult. I'll go in. It will be harder this time around. Back then, I didn't have experience. But I've lost my parents and sister since then. You'd think it would get easier as we get older. I find it the opposite. It's like all of the losses stack up on top of each other. And the old losses because raw again when there's a new loss.
Hopes, loss is never easier and when you have past losses the new one stirs up those memories as well. I think we never " get over grief" instead it just becomes another piece of who we are and we learn to accept it and deal with it. Starting in 2006 I lost my mom Then my parents large dog Henry who I loved very much, followed by my 20 yr old neice, then my dog Dash, next my dad and last my much beloved once in a life time dog Jazz. all of them hurt a lot but I do accept death as just a part of life and feel that they have only left me in the physical sense as as they will always live on in my heart and in my memories. Talking about them helps bring them back if only for a few moments. At times I do feel one of them near me as when I went toTexas this past week to pick up Chaos my new puppy from a high kill shelter. I felt as if my mom was right there with me giving me her approval on this sweet little pup.

It will be rough but you and your son will get through it and hopefully know in your heart that you did the right thing as just like humans dogs do deserve to die with some diginity when possible. Shower that pup with love until then and maybe some special treats...Dash got his McDonalds meal even part of a forbidden chocolate shake as I knew he had a caste iron gut and would be ok and that memory of him eating it on the cliffs overlooking the ocean and thinking he was in heaven getting people food is such a fond memory and brings smiles to my face. Maybe Dash was like Enzo (in the mentioned book) and he thinks he too will come back as a human and perhaps he saw getting that human food as a sure sign.As I said he was in heaven eating it.

You have done your dog well to get him to 16 so try to see that instead of the loss as that is what counts the most! You will be in my thoughts and prayers.

Old 05-21-2011, 12:53 PM

909 posts, read 2,939,114 times
Hopes, I'm so sorry. 16 years is a long time! Will be thinking of you Monday.

Old 05-21-2011, 01:20 PM

43,012 posts, read 92,000,781 times
Hubby and I talked about the funeral arrangements. We've decided that we will handle the burial ourselves.

We own 100 acre camp. It's about 2 hours away. We'll bury him there.

He loved camp---running through the woods and splashing in the creek.

I saw a garden stone at the grocery store last week. It's very big---about 2' by 1'---and says something sweet about beloved friend.

I'm going to buy that to take up with us to mark his grave.

Now I just need to figure out logistics of getting him buried in a timely manner considering the distance of camp and the size of the grave needed.

Old 05-21-2011, 01:59 PM

29,988 posts, read 37,099,452 times
I'm so very sorry. Enjoy your weekend with your faithful friend. They rebound for a reason. Both of mine did so that I would not have to regret my decision. They give us that one last chance to say goodbye and share in the good times we remembered when they were younger and healthy. Hugs, thoughts and prayers to you and yours.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs