Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2011, 08:56 AM

6,952 posts, read 22,679,222 times

Advertisements

Unless we are on a long, long walk my latest foster dog will not poo outside. She will sneak off to corners of the house to poo. She does pee for me when I take her out and demand potty, but she also goes in the house unless I monitor her. She refuses to use the doggie door tho I have spent at least (cumulative) 2 hours during the past 10 days trying to coax her thru the doggie door with all kinds of treats. She absolutely will hold it for days if I put her in the crate. I take her outside 8x a day but if the grass is wet (raining) she won't go. She is a 4 year old boston terrier and I do carry rewards for pottying outside. She has been in a crate all morning since after bkfst and of course wouldn't poo after bkfst or just now (10 am) here. So I am leaving her outside for about an hour. Feel sooo guilty even though I have a water bowl and a pet bed on the covered porch. I just am not willing to crate her all day, but she can't run free in the house when she has not poo'd since yesterday morning! Suggestions? (Going to the vet this evening)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2011, 09:23 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,329,809 times
My dogs poo where they smell poo...

So, I would try taking the poo from the house to a spot out side.

Just a thought....

Old 05-20-2011, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
My dogs poo where they smell poo...

So, I would try taking the poo from the house to a spot out side.

Just a thought....

Thanks, have left her poo and that of my other 2 dogs out in the yard. Have tried both having the other 2 dogs out with her to model this behavior and keeping the other 2 dogs inside so she can have her own quiet time....... nada

Old 05-20-2011, 10:28 AM

7,378 posts, read 12,659,218 times
I've encountered somewhat similar situations before, although not as drastic, and what it amounted to was the dog being used to having a certain surface under its feet before it felt it was okay to poop--grass, gravel, whatever. Can you find out what the dog's history is, and where she was used to go? Our First Dog was used to a backyard with gravel, and when we moved, it took her quite a while to get used to dirt/grass being okay. I've heard of a dog who was used to grass, and when they moved she was frantic--no grass, just gravel--until she spotted a green shag rug, and that's where she went! Could be an anecdote, or a coincidence, but I know First Dog had her problems switching from gravel to grass...

Old 05-20-2011, 11:10 AM

Just took her for a 30 min. walk between rain storms. No luck. Her prior owner said she won't poo on wet grass but gave no alternative. She has done it for me a couple of times but it still a struggle. Interior carpet is her choice. You have just given me an idea. Maybe it will put a bath mat outside and see if she'll use that........ bad idea?

Old 05-20-2011, 11:11 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,329,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squirl View Post
Just took her for a 30 min. walk between rain storms. No luck. Her prior owner said she won't poo on wet grass but gave no alternative. She has done it for me a couple of times but it still a struggle. Interior carpet is her choice. You have just given me an idea. Maybe it will put a bath mat outside and see if she'll use that........ bad idea?
Hey...worth a try!!!!

Old 05-20-2011, 12:35 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,013,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squirl View Post
Some people would say that you're an enabler.
I, however, would say that you're brilliant!

Old 05-20-2011, 12:45 PM

9,352 posts, read 20,021,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Fork Fantast View Post
I've encountered somewhat similar situations before, although not as drastic, and what it amounted to was the dog being used to having a certain surface under its feet before it felt it was okay to poop--grass, gravel, whatever. Can you find out what the dog's history is, and where she was used to go? Our First Dog was used to a backyard with gravel, and when we moved, it took her quite a while to get used to dirt/grass being okay. I've heard of a dog who was used to grass, and when they moved she was frantic--no grass, just gravel--until she spotted a green shag rug, and that's where she went! Could be an anecdote, or a coincidence, but I know First Dog had her problems switching from gravel to grass...

yep... i see this with Dave .... after living the 1st 10 months of his life in a shelter, he nearly ALWAYS pees and poops on concrete.... the street, the sidewalk, the (brick) patio......

Old 05-20-2011, 03:28 PM

3,605 posts, read 9,055,148 times
If the bath mat is a means to an end, I say go for it.

Is she nervous on her potty walks? Maybe she was scolded by her prior owner and has anxiety about potty time. Some dogs are very sensitive, I hope she comes around soon for everyone's sanity.

Old 05-20-2011, 11:52 PM

13,926 posts, read 39,275,326 times
Katie Wont poo outside! She trained to come inside & use paper on tray!! Perhaps this dog is trained this way or Litter box?? Most people I know litter box train small dogs now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs