Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2007, 10:37 PM

1,913 posts, read 8,889,098 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by junkman18 View Post
I also I steer clear of all humongous dogs and pit bull breed dogs when I can. But can't always do that. If one is close to me when we are walking on the road or in my yard or a park and is acting like it may want to hurt or kill us I will shoot it on the spot when we are on public land.

What a very disturbing thought.

Perfect example of the attitudes that need to change. ^^^

And before anyone else hops on this jump-to-conclusion-bandwagon, has anything else been reported on how the guy died?
------------------------------------------------------------------

Are you saying it a disturbing thought to shoot a killer dog, Or disturbing to be killed and riped apart by a killer dog. Does the life of a dog mein more to you than my wife and I or a kid playing in the park?

About the guy the dogs killed

Maybe the dogs on top of him pulling his skin off and the pain brought on the hart problem. Don't know for sure yet but will let you know. But I think we do know the killer dogs kill him.

Nice play on words. It's a very common reaction I have noticed long ago with anyone who gets defensive on the subject.

You are very well aware of what I am speaking of. You already answered your own question. But here, I'll spell it out for you.
My opinion on what is "disturbing" is that you made the comment:

Quote:
If one is close to me when we are walking on the road or in my yard or a park and is acting like it may want to hurt or kill us I will shoot it on the spot when we are on public land.
It's disturbing, IMO, that someone with the above attitude is permitted to own a gun.

The disturbance continues....

"pulling his skin off"....a little dramatic, don't you think?
And then labeling the above mentioned dogs as "killers".

It's disturbing that people have that mind-set.

I am more than convinced that people have the negative attitudes thanks to the ill-informed, bias media and in turn the opportunistic politicians jump on that media hype.

It's a proven fact that the negative stereotypes of breeds and owners are perpetuated by media hype and exploited by opportunistic politicians seeking to glorify themselves. Looky here!, they say ....We're protecting you -and keeping children safe from bloodthirsty dogs that will eat your children - aren't we wonderful? Now please vote for me!

And sad thing is....stupid people do just that. Vote for the idiots.

They use breed bans as a means to cover up the fact their city governments fail to enforce civil or criminal codes to effectively deal with any dangerous dogs or dog owner problem - which poses a greater threat to the health, safety and welfare to the public than any dog.

And what does the average "joe blow" take away from that? That "it's the truth and the media or my politicians wouldn't lie to me"!

Gimme a break!

Could anyone imagine how life would be if the media reported the TRUTH?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2007, 11:21 PM

8,200 posts, read 35,333,293 times
Quote:

I also I steer clear of all humongous dogs and pit bull breed dogs when I can. But can't always do that. If one is close to me when we are walking on the road or in my yard or a park and is acting like it may want to hurt or kill us I will shoot it on the spot when we are on public land.
Junkman,

You're right in that you can't always avoid dogs. Dogs should not be roaming at large, unsupervised, but it happens.

You might want to consider 2 things:

1) Fencing in as much of your yard as you can - this will generally keep all dogs out and away from your family (can help to keep out some bad people too ).

2) Reporting any loose dogs you see - whether that is to the police, animal control, your Home Owner's Association (if you have one) - send the word out in your community that it is not okay for people to allow their dogs to run loose.

I approach loose dogs on a fairly regular basis - I'm an animal person, I can't help it. Just last week I was out front gardening and a large dog approached. He looked lost and out of breath so I convinced him to drink some water from my hose, grabbed him by the collar, read the tag, and took him home.

He was a big dog (80 or 90 pounds) and unneutered (why isn't he neutered? grrrrr! ), so I had some hesitation, but I knew he wasn't "out to get me". I just kept my cool and led him home (he had escaped from his fenced yard it turns out).

They are usually as nervous about you as you are about them. I've never been bitten by a dog and I've handled plenty.

They're not monsters.....they're just dogs .

Old 08-07-2007, 10:21 AM

7,599 posts, read 18,348,937 times
Ive never known a dog to pull skin off. Bite yes, pull skin off, no.
You havent answered what is acting like its going to kill you ?

Old 08-07-2007, 03:30 PM

1,211 posts, read 1,482,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianH View Post
I think most anyone knows the difference between a friendley happy wagging it's tail dog walking up to you to say high, than a mean snarling growling showing it's teeth wanting to bite you dog.
I think your question is stupid and you very will know the differece to,

Old 08-07-2007, 03:52 PM

There are plenty of people that see a big difference in a lab and a pit walking up to them. They go on the defensive when a Pit comes near them, ive seen it. You just give me the impression youre one of these people. Im sorry if it was too challenging for you to answer.

Old 08-07-2007, 04:02 PM

145 posts, read 518,195 times
Quote:
I think most anyone knows the difference between a friendley happy wagging it's tail dog walking up to you to say high, than a mean snarling growling showing it's teeth wanting to bite you dog.
I think your question is stupid and you very will know the differece to,
Why post to a topic if you possess an irresolute opinion? I've read other posts by you on animal topics and I am curious as to why you are so aggressive and prone to attacking? Were you a 'large dog' I'd imagine you would become a target too.

Old 08-07-2007, 04:12 PM

525 posts, read 2,345,583 times
OMG, ignoramous alert. Ignorant trolls are even worse, especially when they get fed

I read that the police NEVER said the dogs killed the caretaker. Th game of telepone media sytle connected the two. I bet a few bucks that the man died and the dogs were trying to revive, drag the guy, hence the few marks and scratches.

Honestly of Filas and mastiffs "attacked" the caretaker it would be quite obvious, there would be no question. Hell my Shep gets to excited (German working Sch. lines and she loves bite work) and I look like I went throught the wringer and we are playing and she is not trying to harm anyone. She is under 80lbs. Anyone who knows dogs, especially large breed, knows that the dogs did NOT attack. Any ignorant dog-hating fool, clears throat, looks for these bandwagons to hop on. Hop on and don't let the dog bite you on the azz on your way out!

Old 08-07-2007, 05:00 PM

Quote:
There are plenty of people that see a big difference in a lab and a pit walking up to them. They go on the defensive when a Pit comes near them, ive seen it. You just give me the impression youre one of these people. Im sorry if it was too challenging for you to answer.
That is not what you ask me, I gave you a answer to your question. Is that to challenging for you ?

Old 08-07-2007, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Ok maybe you are right they don't pull skin off but they do rip out chunks of there victims body. I would love to post pictures of dog attack victims but they are so horrible the mods will zap them.

Old 08-07-2007, 05:09 PM

Now, while you were doing that, would it only be pictures of big mean scary dogs ? And pitbulls ? And anything else your afraid / wary of ? Cause I have a good dogbite photo from a border collie when I was 12 years old, or 11, cant remember.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs