Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2011, 07:25 PM

1,257 posts, read 4,575,778 times

Advertisements

After much investigation, I choose a vet for my puppy, an English bulldog (picture attached). He went through series of shoots for vaccine. On March 11, after the vaccine shot (fourth DHPP, first rabies) at 5pm, he got allergic response and had to be rushed to emergency animal hospital. He came out fine. I didn't think too much.
Recently, I requested his medical record for insurance purpose. I find that the vet has changed date(use white out to cover the original date) for the emergency room visit. They claimed the emergency visit was on March 13th and may be caused by insect bites. I was shocked.
Should I just change vet yet again? Should I confront them about the change? Where to find a honest one?
Attached Thumbnails
Change vet again? Where to find a honest one?-sam.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2011, 11:28 PM

13,927 posts, read 39,297,259 times
Your check should be proof as to date! Anyone can make mistake on a date. I be more worried about Care he getting. IF it was his 4 DHPP then I dough that did it. He could have got Bee sting or something. Reactions for shots usually happen within 30 mins tho most are Instant!

Old 05-21-2011, 06:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
Your check should be proof as to date! Anyone can make mistake on a date. I be more worried about Care he getting. IF it was his 4 DHPP then I dough that did it. He could have got Bee sting or something. Reactions for shots usually happen within 30 mins tho most are Instant!
He did have a reaction on the 3rd shot and this time, it also included in the first rabies. The allergic response can be instant like you said and also can happens over the course of several days. After the shot, the dog was indoor with me the whole time.
While it is obvious to me that it was due to the vaccination, the insect bites can't be ruled out. But I just don't get it that they didn't change the date for the vaccination but only changed the date for the emergecy room visit.

Old 05-21-2011, 07:00 AM

14,784 posts, read 24,086,869 times
I think any time a vet or any so called proffesional changes the date on a record is cause for concern and yes I would change vets . I honestly never had this happen had I had this happen of course there would be no question of changing said proffesional . I would most definately change vets . Are you on good terms with any of your pet owning neighbors ?, if so ask for a reccomendation on who they use ? and if you dont like this one , keep going until you find one you like and feel you can trust .

Old 05-21-2011, 07:18 AM

4,585 posts, read 12,365,699 times
A BIG red flag about date changing, in the human medical field that would be grounds for a law suit. Try asking friends what vet they use, if you take your dog to training classes ask the instructors too, they are usually pretty savvey about good vets. I'd also get a copy of EVERYTHING for your dog.

Based on your posts it sounds like they gave 2 shots in one visit, that is generally NOT recommended. When I had my last pup, I made sure he was only getting 1 shot every 2-3 weeks, it takes longer but is way safer. I'd also question what all of the shots were, there is a tendancy to over vacinate right now and there are new protocols on the net....do a search.

Old 05-21-2011, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReturningWest View Post
A BIG red flag about date changing, in the human medical field that would be grounds for a law suit.
This is exactly what my husband said. I called the office and their front desk didn't have a good explanation. So far, I haven't found one good vet in my area. This one was recommended by neighbors. There is another one that several dog owners recommend. But the office doesn't open on Saturday and they only open 10am to 2pm on Wednesday and Friday and 10am to 5pm on the other working days. It is hard to get an appointment with them. Well, just have to do it. Thanks for response.

Old 05-21-2011, 07:43 AM

299 posts, read 1,009,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LingLing View Post
This is exactly what my husband said. I called the office and their front desk didn't have a good explanation.
I would be pretty livid about tampering with medical records. Take your receipts/records from the emergency visit into your vet's office and talk with them in person.

(Despite my saying "livid" it is, of course, important not to actually ACT lividly! Confrontation is not what you're looking for!)

But they can't ignore you or brush you off if you show up in person. Maybe it was a mistake and they do have a valid explanation, or maybe you look for a new vet knowing that your old vet got called out on a dishonest practice.

Old 05-21-2011, 10:21 AM

5,245 posts, read 16,429,742 times
Why did your puppy get 4 of the annual vaccs? I've never heard of a vet doing four. Ours have all done three, each three weeks apart and then rabies at 6 months, which I try to have done when they're spayed / neutered.

Either way, I'd call them first and ask why the date and info was changed. Based on the answer I'd look into changing vets. I'd suggest calling some local rescues too and see who they use. Vets that work with rescue and give them discounts I've always trusted more. They obviously care about animals and not only about the money they're going to make. If they're willing to drop their prices to help homeless pets get home that goes a long way with me. Rescues can also tell you which vets to avoid. I know I've got one here I'd not send anyone to. He's horrible! I can also tell you who the most expensive is, which one will push for more testing and add on stuff than the others, etc. And yes, talk to friends and neighbors. The more people you ask, the better idea you'll get of who's good and who's not.

Old 05-21-2011, 05:41 PM

1,424 posts, read 5,337,516 times
Quote:
Recently, I requested his medical record for insurance purpose. I find that the vet has changed date(use white out to cover the original date) for the emergency room visit.
Wite Out? They printed it out and then put Wite Out over the date? That means a different date is in the computer, right? Just ask them about it. Sounds like a misunderstanding....

Old 05-21-2011, 06:17 PM

5,094 posts, read 12,588,711 times
I would ask them about it and if you have proof of the ER visit take that with you. I would then change vets as that one unless they made an honest mistake would have lost my trust and it is important I have trust in my vet. Your Puppy is vet cute,nice looking bulldog what is its name???
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs