Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2011, 12:07 PM

9,352 posts, read 20,027,284 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno124 View Post
And because every thread is better with pictures, this was our boy =)

what a stunningly gorgeous fella.... so sorry for your loss.....

you sound like a knowledgeable dog person, and i wish you the best of luck with whatever you decide to do....

fwiw .... when i adopted my cats as young kittens, several people also told me they would bond to each other and not to me.... never happened... sure they bonded to one another (they are about 6 weeks apart in age) .... but each is very bonded to me, as well .... i know it's cats and not dogs, but i think that as long as you have the time to spend on each puppy, you will be just fine.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2011, 06:58 PM

4 posts, read 31,342 times
Thanks for all your replies!

I think it would be beneficial to wait and raise one dog until it is well trained before adding another. I would rather have just one dog who loved us, rather than two who loved each other. Hopefully, by raising it from puppyhood, we can avoid the serious dog aggression we encountered with our first American Bulldog rescue by seriously working on social interaction at a young age, knowing that we want to add another dog in the future.

I was reading that getting a male first, then adding a female is the best possible scenario, mainly because males are more lenient with females entering their territory, rather than a new male coming into a female's territory. Anyone ever heard of this?

Old 05-25-2011, 07:06 PM

6,591 posts, read 24,856,918 times
i have heard of that...males generally tend to be easier going with other dogs in general where as females can sometimes realy live up to their technical name lol.

Old 05-25-2011, 09:15 PM

14,492 posts, read 26,591,034 times
What a beautiful dog. We have 2 pei pups-male and female bought them together...they were 8 weeks - they get along great. The older female, though, does have issues with the younger female. She is fine with the boy puppy.

Females can be more territorial.

Old 05-26-2011, 05:19 AM

6,191 posts, read 18,157,968 times
I agree with foxy's first post....I've had Rottweilers (along with other dogs, but always a Rottweiler or two) in my life for 26 years now...they are also a breed prone to dominance and dog aggression. I think quite possibly raising a male-female pair would be doable in terms of them getting along with the other....but these strong breeds require SO much training and time! That alone would be the number one reason I wouldn't take on such a task, even with two committed owners in the house.

I think you're smart to wait between pups...at least a year, preferably two years.

Inferno....beautiful dog!

ETA - I have four dogs in the house now (one is a foster.) An 11-month old Rottweiler, an adult black Lab, and the foster pit bull x Lab, all males. My female is small - a JRT cross - and she absolutely rules, where the boys are concerned. And, they know it. Well - *I* rule overall, but the big dogs defer to the little female; that's usually the way it goes. Since the foster and the Rottweiler are both under a year old and both males, they are crated when I go to work. A neighbor lets them out for potty and yard breaks if I'm going to be gone all day.

Old 05-26-2011, 06:58 PM

2,558 posts, read 2,902,918 times
As a long time reputable AKC breeder, the advise I always give people asking about two puppies at the same time is...........
A person has only so much available time to devote to a companion. With one puppy this time can be 100% directed toward it during a time when one on one is so important in the babies development. With two puppies take your available time, divide it by 4. 1/4 of your time to each puppy individually (if it is lucky) and 1/2 the time spent with both puppies together because it's easier. Most reputable breeders will not sell two puppies together for this very reason.

Old 05-26-2011, 08:27 PM

2,039 posts, read 3,279,273 times
My friends have two dogs that were raised together from pups, while they get along fine, and know there roles when it comes to dominance, they have issues when other dogs come into the mix. The submissive will go off to play with the new dog while the dominant will circle the two, barking and nipping at them. Alone, both dogs are fine playng with others, together, however, there is a strange dynamic when it comes to other dogs. I have been encouraging them to join me at neutral locations with their dogs and mine, hoping they can get their pups better socialized, we'll see!!

Good luck with whatever you decide to do.!

Old 05-27-2011, 06:05 AM

1,180 posts, read 3,126,850 times
Not a good idea in general and most responsible breeders will not, or only very rarely to experienced owners, sell 2 puppies from the same litter to the same person/family.

If you do go with two puppies it's important to keep them separated most of the time for at least the first 6 months (a year is often recommended). This is so they bond to you more than to each other. Also, with dog aggressive breeds such as American bulldogs and many terrier breeds, the aggressiveness does not show itself until after the dog matures between 2 and 4 years of age so you must be vigilant all the time and never let your guard down. For their safety it's important to separate them when unsupervised.

Often, of course, there are no problems with two pups raised together but it's important to not take chances and to make sure to follow through on strict obedience and to be a firm, responsible leader.

Old 08-11-2013, 10:02 PM

12 posts, read 19,519 times
I would choose a dogo, not only are they beautiful dogs, they are super protective of yourself and your household, they are people friendly, but need to be introduced. They are awesome hunting dogs, one of the smartest breeds. People complain about the price, but this is the ultimate dog! Good luck on whatever you may choose!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs