U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2011, 04:42 PM

2,391 posts, read 4,030,527 times

Advertisements

He's at it once again, and I don't know what to do. He wouldn't eat his breakfast and he's not eating his dinner. He hardly ate much yesterday and I even mixed in some wet food. Could he be tired of the wet that I have mixed in his food for the past week~? He usually eats after playing ball or getting his vitamin treat, but not this time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2011, 05:35 PM

57 posts, read 276,120 times
It could be the wet food he doesn't like. I had a basset hound who despised wet food (and pretty much every dog food).

He could also not be feeling well, so if it continues I'd take him to the vet?

Old 05-26-2011, 06:32 PM

I've been thru so many different types of dry dog foods that I lost count. He seem to like "Rudy's" wet food (locally made and found in the freezer at certain grocer locations). When I boarded him while away, they fed him a small piece of grilled boneless and skinless chicken that they made for him on a George Foreman Grill. Presently, he has an E-Collar on and hopefully it will come off this Friday. Anyways, he has no trouble to eat treats and bones I've given him, but not the food. I even put a bit of warm water on it to make it attractable. I am out of ideas and need some. I also am out of dog food or nearing the end of the bag and debating what to do.

Old 05-26-2011, 06:42 PM

57 posts, read 276,120 times
If he's being stubborn about dog food, but not treats I would just keep pushing it. He'll eat eventually; he won't starve himself!

Old 05-26-2011, 06:56 PM

He's been picky since a pup. I've been told by other owners of Yorkshire Terriers that theirs is picky too. I'm tired of switching really and tried every trick in the book...I think.

Old 05-26-2011, 07:06 PM

6,191 posts, read 15,303,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veggienut View Post
He's been picky since a pup. I've been told by other owners of Yorkshire Terriers that theirs is picky too. I'm tired of switching really and tried every trick in the book...I think.
That is your problem - you keep trying to entice him to eat by trying different things. He won't starve himself...sounds like he's got your number and is playing you. Dogs can go days without eating, as long as they are adult and healthy.

Pick a high quality, palatable food. Stop with the bones and treats just for now. Put the food down. If he doesn't eat it in 20 or 30 minutes, pick it up. He gets nothing until the next meal time. Rinse and repeat. Don't give in.

I had a small foster dog who refused to eat anything but canned food fed with a spoon (really, it's how she'd been fed her whole life.) She refused to eat what I put down for three or four days. She didn't die, she didn't waste away, she didn't even appear unhappy about not eating. She was a bit chunky anyway. Then she started eating, once she got hungry enough and realised that I wasn't going to cater to her. After that, she got varied whatever in the diet and hoovered up whatever I put down for her.

Old 05-26-2011, 07:09 PM

36,489 posts, read 41,670,258 times
Honestly, if you've ruled out medical issues, don't worry about it. I've yet to learn of a healthy dog who starved to death when food was accessible. The dog will eat, eventually.

Old 05-26-2011, 07:29 PM

Quote:
That is your problem - you keep trying to entice him to eat by trying different things. He won't starve himself...sounds like he's got your number and is playing you. Dogs can go days without eating, as long as they are adult and healthy.
I don't think it is my problem, but his problem. I didn't change food everyday or week, nothing like that. It got to a point where he would sniff and walk away, and that happened like when the bag was 1/2+ gone or in the 2nd bag or so. I've picked good foods and he wouldn't eat at all and go 3 days and maybe a nibble. When he was boarded last year he wouldn't eat for them, so they did the chicken stuff and he ate like no tomorrow they told me. I know folks who literally cook for their dog and I am not about to go to that extreme. I will ask the Vet about it tomorrow when we go for his re-check on his eye issue (he's wearing an e-collar). They usually crunch a vitamin tab in front of me and tell me "see he's eating". Anyways, he split his food bowl outside and never ate it and that is it for the night.

Old 05-26-2011, 07:42 PM

7,330 posts, read 13,173,178 times
Just a thought but if he skips a meal, maybe you could give him the next one a couple hours later than usual. He might get worried enough about you "forgetting" to get hungry.

Old 05-26-2011, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by subject2change View Post
Just a thought but if he skips a meal, maybe you could give him the next one a couple hours later than usual. He might get worried enough about you "forgetting" to get hungry.
That is an idea, thanks. After he split the bowl that was sitting outside for too long he was looking or licking the bowl to see what he could find...or so it looked like it. Sometimes I do feed him like around 8p or later. I'll give it a shot. Or maybe his food is old, tho the date isn't but it isn't much left in the bag. He's eating Purina Pro Plan.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs