U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2011, 05:03 AM

909 posts, read 2,938,805 times

Advertisements

Last night Shep apparently had repeated episodes of diarrhea. His crate was a mess this morning. If it hadn't been for his crate you'd never know because he otherwise looks very chipper. But when we took him outside for a bath, you could tell he wasn't done because he kept pooping, even though there wasn't much left. He might've vomited too because there was some mucous in the crate and I could smell dog food.

Could this have been caused by eating mulch? I was laying out bark mulch yesterday, and Shep kept chewing up bits of it.

A neighbor passed by with their dog, and they advised us to feed him chicken and white rice. I'm cooking up now.

Is there a dog version of pepto bismol that's OTC? Our vet is closed today, but Petsmart should be open.

Arrrgh, we are supposed to go on a road trip today. And we were bringing him along. What to do......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2011, 05:14 AM

6,191 posts, read 15,298,480 times
Hopefully it wasn't cocoa mulch:

ASPCA | Cocoa Bean Shell Mulch

SOP for adult dog with dire rear and no other signs of sickness (lethargy, etc) is to fast for 12-24 hours, then do a few small meals of low fat ground meat and white rice. The fasting is important...diarrhea is the gut's attempt to rid itself of something, so no point giving the dog food that is likely to come out liquid anyway at this point.

Pepto is OK for dogs but I think giving nothing at this point is better.

I'm sorry you had to wake up to that!

Old 05-29-2011, 05:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiroptera View Post
Hopefully it wasn't cocoa mulch:

ASPCA | Cocoa Bean Shell Mulch

thankfully no. It was pine mulch, un-dyed. I did manage to call the 24 hour vet line, and they gave me the same advice, except no pepto because of the asprin. They didn't say anything about fasting. I assume I should still give water though, right?

Old 05-29-2011, 05:50 AM

6,191 posts, read 15,298,480 times
Yes, let Shep have access to water. I would personally fast him, especially if you're going on a road trip - at least until tonight. Diarrhea and vomiting can be quite dehydrating (I am assuming he is adult, BTW, I'd be much less casual about this if he was a puppy) so make sure he's not dehydrated. Pinch up skin on his back or flanks; it should snap back immediately. Gums should be slick and wet, not sticky or dry-feeling.

I feel your pain...I have a Lab who has a "touchy" stomach and about once a month he'll have a major diarrhea attack. Luckily he's not crated and goes to the back door in the mud room, but still, ewww. He tests healthy in every way and I never know what's going to set him off.

Dunno how old Shep is, but if this becomes a semi-regular thing I'd get a fecal test to rule out bacterial overgrowth or parasites. If you give something like HeartGard Plus, parasites probably aren't a concern because it contains wormer for the common worms.

Old 05-29-2011, 07:51 AM

24,843 posts, read 32,294,958 times
Just wishing Shep has a better day!!!!

Old 05-30-2011, 04:14 PM

Thanks all. We kept Shep in his crate in the garage for our visit, and he was fine, but we just got back a few minutes ago, and when I took him out, he immediately ran for the corner and let out a hoser. I mean totally liquid. yellowy green, ick. So he's able to hold it better, but evidently his tummy is still no better. I'm going to call the vet first thing tomorrow.

Driller, he's on Wormshield, which contains pyrantel. I think that is a deworming med. And he was just dewormed, so even if he still has worms, I don't think they would make him take a sudden dramatic turn for the worse.

Old 05-30-2011, 04:30 PM

6,591 posts, read 20,703,190 times
dong give pepto, the new formula contains additioanl meds that arnt good for dogs, you can however give Kaopectate (same active ingredients but diesnt have the additional chemicals that pepto has) (its also what my vet perscribes for upset tummies in dogs and cats lol)

dosage is 1/2-1 teaspoon per 5lbs (id go with 1/2 a teaspoon per 5lbs to start) and its eveyr 2-6 hours but my vet suggests every 4.

giving is a pain in the tuckus as it tastes horrible and is messy and even the most experienced at dosing with liquid meds can get it everywhere lol. use a relitivly small plunge syrnge get it into the cheek (theres a gap in the teeth way back there and its too far back for the dog to spit it out easily and aiming at a 45 degree angle into that gap shoots it nto the throat wihtout risking aspiration.

warning with kaopectate, it can and does turn the poop BLACK, this is normal.

i would go no food for 12-24 hours but all the liquids he will drink, id also try low sodium chicken broth or pedialyte to prevent dehydration, then once hes fasted and he seems to not be "squirting" slowly introduce a bland diet back in BOILED chicken is generally the best choice with plain white rice, mix well and start out with only a couple of tablespoons full to start, give him a few hours and if no bad reaction he can have a little more...continue untill his stomach seems to have completly settled. and wean him off the kao in the meantime...once his stomach seems to be "normal" without the kaopectate, continue with the bland diet for at least 24 hours (peferably 48-72 hours) then SLOWLY introduce his normal food back in.

it doesnt sound like worms, but it also doesnt sound like its a result of some mulch chewing so my best guess would be hes probably picked up a stomach virus that pretty much needs to run its course.

general rule of thumb is 24hrs of diahrrea = time for a vet check though, so keep that in mind.

Old 06-02-2011, 09:20 AM

8,309 posts, read 34,290,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foxywench View Post
dong give pepto, the new formula contains additioanl meds that arnt good for dogs, you can however give Kaopectate (same active ingredients but diesnt have the additional chemicals that pepto has) (its also what my vet perscribes for upset tummies in dogs and cats lol)
This must have been typed on an iPhone.

The way I look at it, a day of diarrhea is not a big deal for a dog that is eating, drinking and behaving normally otherwise (a dog that is acting sick probably warrants a vet check). Upgrading from "water" to "soft-serve" within 24 hours generally indicates that the dog will recover fully without intervention in the next 24-48.

I've had success by administering yogurt and cheese.

Old 06-02-2011, 12:03 PM

Well, Shep was still hosing by Tues. morning so I took him to the vet. She prescribed an anti-diarrheal that is also an antbx. He finally pooped first thing this morning, and it was pretty close to normal. He is also recovering his pep and getting into mischief, so i think it's time to return to the full length morning runs

Old 06-02-2011, 02:19 PM

4,948 posts, read 16,479,264 times
hamburg boil it with rice, pumpkin not the pie filler stuff, imodium mixed with yogurt also baby
food with the rice all are bland and I use them. I also was told to fast the dog the first day.
Always leave out clean water, then give for 2 or 3 days hamburg, chicken etc. for food.
Give small portions also then around day 3 or 4 start the regular dog food.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs