Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2011, 11:05 AM

2,185 posts, read 4,996,790 times

Advertisements

My husband adopted a chow/rhodesian/golden retriever mix about 12 years ago. She has always been obese and we had her thyroid checked many times. She also had a 2400 surgery for a back leg because it blew out, then the other leg went on her so she is crippled. Now she is 12 years old, she welps and cries when people just walk past her, she is starting to pee on the floor, she smells really bad. She also has been hiding out in our new puppies crate and refuses to come out. She will stay there all day.

Is she senile or just getting old and losing control and not feeling great and possibly in pain?

My husband is tired of her smell, he bathes her 2x a week and he is tired of her peeing on the floor. So my husband wants to take her in to be put down, he thinks it's time.

The vets we take her to don't seem real interested because of her obesity and bad legs so I am afraid they will agree with my husband regarding putting her down. She is not my dog but I really hate to put an animal down unless I think they are suffering. How does one know it's time to put an animal down?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2011, 11:10 AM

3,573 posts, read 6,462,244 times
It's sad when you have to make the decision to put a loved pet down but I think at this time, your dog does need to be put to sleep. If she is crying out and is hiding and then peeing on the floor and then coupled with the smell, it's time. Sorry.

Old 05-29-2011, 11:18 AM

1,603 posts, read 3,602,224 times
Yes old dogs get senile. My Starm did right before he passed. He has never heard a sharp word in his life, but would cower in fear when it was time to go outside. He would mess himself and need to be cleaned up.

It's hard to let them go, but sometimes it is the kindest thing to do.
12 years is a good life. Too bad they can't always be with us.

Old 05-29-2011, 11:31 AM

It doesn't help I adopted a female german shepherd puppy a couple months ago. The puppy never leaves the oldest dog alone so I crate her because she gets so wild. She tackles the older dog and always prances in circles around her as if she is taunting her, the puppy I think bullies her as well. The shepherd sits at the top of the stairs and won't let her pass, then runs past her trying to knock her down the stairs.

This is my 4th shepherd and they all tended to be butt heads, but the first 3 were male. Thisi smy first female shepherd puppy. apparently the females aren't any different.

Old 05-29-2011, 11:34 AM

7,099 posts, read 27,128,604 times
She is probably wondering why you don't do something to make everything right again. You can't. It's time.

Old 05-29-2011, 12:55 PM

This is her, her name is Elke

She looks a little rough, but she doesn't look like she is suffering to me.
Attached Thumbnails
Old dog getting senile?-img_3365.jpg  

Old 05-29-2011, 01:04 PM

3,737 posts, read 12,367,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cupcake77 View Post
My husband adopted a chow/rhodesian/golden retriever mix about 12 years ago. She has always been obese and we had her thyroid checked many times. She also had a 2400 surgery for a back leg because it blew out, then the other leg went on her so she is crippled. Now she is 12 years old, she welps and cries when people just walk past her, she is starting to pee on the floor, she smells really bad. She also has been hiding out in our new puppies crate and refuses to come out. She will stay there all day.

Is she senile or just getting old and losing control and not feeling great and possibly in pain?

My husband is tired of her smell, he bathes her 2x a week and he is tired of her peeing on the floor. So my husband wants to take her in to be put down, he thinks it's time.

The vets we take her to don't seem real interested because of her obesity and bad legs so I am afraid they will agree with my husband regarding putting her down. She is not my dog but I really hate to put an animal down unless I think they are suffering. How does one know it's time to put an animal down?
I'll never tell someone yes - its time. Here is a list of questions to ask yourself to help you and your husband to decide. I copied this from a post of mine from about a year ago. It was answering a post that was from another person asking the very same thing.
You are in the most difficult time of pet ownership and my heart goes out to you. Everyone has a different set of standards on quality of life so it can be a very difficult question to answer. As for me, I use the questions below to make the decision:
  • Is she still eating well and showing enthusiasm at meal time?
  • Does she still respond to affection and give it in return?
  • Does she still wag her tail and seem to be happy to be with you?
  • Is her personality still the same as you have always known, or has she become withdrawn?
  • Does she seem to be in constant or extreme pain?
Now a couple of questions for you:
  • Are you willing to keep cleaning up after her without yelling and scolding?
  • Are you willing to help her when needed to get around? Are you physically able to do so?
  • Are you willing to deal with the limitations a geriatric pet can impose? Less free time for yourself and more time helping them?
I know these are tough questions and this isn't a standard list, just one I've always used. You are the one that knows your dog and have to make the determination on whether its time.

I hope that this will help you to decide. Hugz to you, your family and your very dear dog.

Old 05-29-2011, 01:28 PM

737 posts, read 2,581,604 times
When their 3 favorite things are gone, it is time. I got this fantastic advice on CD when I posted about my senior that has a collapsed trachea and cloudy lungs. She still loves food/treats, belly rubs and "walks" (meaning we carry her out to the grassy, "poop" area). We keep her calm - another great idea from CD!

You probably already know what to do. We have our plan. Sleep shot first, then the final shot; all done at home by the vet, then off to cremation. We're ready, just watching everyday and making do until it is time. It isn't time yet, but soon.

Best to you and your babe.

Old 06-23-2011, 01:49 PM

1 posts, read 6,180 times
I have a 16 year old Pomeranian that shows all signs of being senile. However, he still eats, loves to be petted, goes on short walks, isn't in pain and seems to be content enough. However, he is really pacing and wandering more, stares off into space, has many messes in the house & even sometimes "sits" back into his poop when his legs fail. He takes so much care and attention. It isn't time to lose him and I will do my best. Today we are going to the vet again to discuss "aromatherapy" for dogs to help him with well being and comfort. His cataracts are worse, too. God bless him and all of us that have this unique experience of caring for these old dogs. I will miss Zinger when he is gone.

Old 06-23-2011, 01:56 PM

8,307 posts, read 38,701,875 times
All that dogs have is relish for life, the love of their "human caretakers" and their natural dignity and noble spirit.

I don't think that a good steward allows his or her dogs to live without dignity, but it's a tough call and one I'm not in a position to make any decisions on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs