U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2011, 07:33 PM

909 posts, read 1,950,782 times

Advertisements

I go to Banfield for our vet needs, and they currently sell First Shield Trio for flea, tick, mosquito and biting fly prevention on their plan. I bought a single dose to try, and so far Shep hasn't shown any allergic reactions. But it's a little pricey. Petsmart also sells Advantix, which has the same active ingredient Permethrin, just in a slightly higher concentration. I found out Amazon.com sells Advantix for a much lower price.

Just wondering if anyone here uses Advantix and how you like it. I'm primarily concerned about ticks, but it would be nice for mosquitos too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2011, 09:58 PM

6,114 posts, read 9,058,571 times
i use k9 advantix on all ours right now because frontline plus doesnt work well in our area. we get a couple of tick bites each year but there always Dead on removal advantix is a repellant AND a pesticide, so while it will repell fleas and ticks need to bite in order to die... and compared to how many fleas and ticks we found on them when using frontline plus...advantix works much better for us.

ive never heard of the first sheild trio.

i do want to add please be carefull using any Permethrin based protection f you have cats that like to sleep with/groom the dogs...Permethrin is highly poisenous to cats, and cats shouldnt be given acess to a Permethrin aplication untill 12-24 hours after application.

Old 06-01-2011, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxywench View Post

i do want to add please be carefull using any Permethrin based protection f you have cats that like to sleep with/groom the dogs...Permethrin is highly poisenous to cats, and cats shouldnt be given acess to a Permethrin aplication untill 12-24 hours after application.
No worries, we have no plans for cats. Actually the First Shield Trio carries the same warning, since it uses Permethrin also. Thanks!

Old 06-01-2011, 03:00 PM

7,686 posts, read 8,919,243 times
there is an australian web site ..... deadfleaz.com .... that i have used for several years to get flea and tick preventative and heartworm preventative.... it is the same product by the same manufacturer.... but costs about half (or less) of what we are charged in the states.... even with shipping, which is only about $6-$8 or so .... you have to plan ahead a bit, but i almost always have my order within 7-10 days of placing it......

Old 06-01-2011, 09:07 PM

3,721 posts, read 8,057,814 times
There's something called Pet Armor which is supp. to be very similar to Frontline Plus and is sold at Walmart - check it out - curious if anyone's bought it

PetArmor — How It Compares

Old 06-01-2011, 09:26 PM

2,187 posts, read 3,622,757 times
First of all - run away from Banfield. They are expensive and only interested in getting as much money out of their clients as possible. I am sure that there are some good vets at some of their locations - but they leave before you know it. When you truly care for the animals, meeting sales goals is not part of the job.

With that said, I don't like either product you mentioned mainly due to the warnings. We have a cat and although I am sure that we could wait until the topical dried on the dogs, but there is a risk that it may take a bit longer. We have stuck with Frontline Plus (something Banfield no longer carries) because it has been the most effective product. When we fostered, the Frontline spray was a necessity for the animals of all ages that came through our door infested with fleas. We live in an area that has a lot of ticks so having that extra benefit from the Frontline Plus has never let us down. If we find a tick on the dogs, it is dying and not attached to them.

Please avoid getting any flea control from Wal-Mart. Most have been recalled at some point and are not effective. We get all our stuff from either Dr. Foster & Smith or the vet office.

Old 06-01-2011, 10:01 PM

3,721 posts, read 8,057,814 times
Didn't mean to hijack the thread - Alley01, ordinarily I'd agree w/ you and would stay away from Biospot etc (and have) but I believe the patent has run out on Frontline and there are now generic versions out there, Sam's Club also sells it for approx. $25-28/3-vial package, the ingredients are the exact same as Frontline Plus, this has never been recalled, am assuming it's as effective as Frontline Plus (which does have mixed reviews).

Old 06-02-2011, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alley01 View Post
First of all - run away from Banfield. They are expensive and only interested in getting as much money out of their clients as possible. I am sure that there are some good vets at some of their locations - but they leave before you know it. When you truly care for the animals, meeting sales goals is not part of the job.

Please avoid getting any flea control from Wal-Mart. Most have been recalled at some point and are not effective. We get all our stuff from either Dr. Foster & Smith or the vet office.
Actually, we used Banfield in the past with our other dogs (and cats), and have been very happy with them. My bro is a vet tech, and he also doesn't like their business model, but he believes in the quality of the vets, which is my main concern. I believe this vet may be new to the practice, she is new to my town. My plan was to go with Banfield for a year, and reassess. There are a couple of wonderful practices more locally, but I am weighing the cost of going with them and having to buy insurance, vs. doing the wellness plan with Banfield, which is what I am doing this year. There have been a couple of instances in which the vet gave me wrong info. For example, when she first introduced First Shield, she said it was just like Frontline Plus. Which it is not. But I can't remember if she meant it serves the same function, or it had the same ingredients, although i think it was the latter. Also, when I took Shep in because of his diarrhea a couple of days ago she asked, "has Shep lost weight? You can really see his ribs!" Well yeah, he's been having diarrhea for the last two days! Little things like that.

As to the meds, we don't have cats and don't plan to have them, so I'm not concerned about that. I AM concerned about Frontline Plus not working as well as it used to. Last month I found an engorged tick on Shep's face, and it was certainly not dead. However, I had just given him a bath the night before, and he was due for his next dose, so I don't know if that had anything to do with it.

Old 06-02-2011, 01:14 PM

7,686 posts, read 8,919,243 times
there have been reports from around the country that frontline plus is losing its effectiveness.... still works well here for bailey and dave, knock wood.....

Old 06-02-2011, 03:02 PM

6,114 posts, read 9,058,571 times
the petarmor brand thats being sold at walmart IS frontline plus, or at least its the exact same active ingredients...

however if frontline plus doesnt work well in your area, the pet armor wont either because it is the same stuff...

frontline plus doesnt work in our area, so petarmor wouldnt either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs