Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2011, 10:39 AM

8,039 posts, read 4,514,412 times

Advertisements

No not mine my big guys. Everything was fine until a week ago then my big guy now seems to be somewhat constipated. He strains to go and just cannot. Does anyone have some ideas that I can use to ease his problem? For a little while he was in the runs stage so I figured I should maybe change his diet to a higher quality dog food. I cut out using the canned stuff and went to a strictly dry diet. I feel so bad for him he checks out ok my vet suggested a tablespoon of mineral oil on his food has anyone tried this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2011, 10:52 AM

2,039 posts, read 3,279,886 times
I always add pumpkin to my dogs food for fiber.

I recon you could give him a VERY SMALL amount of laxative or stool softener, but be very careful as the results could be horribly messy if you give too much. EDIT: the link I posted advises against this, though my vet has said otherwise, to be on the safe side, I wouldn't attempt.

Here's a rather informative link: Dog Constipation - Guide On Constipation In Dogs - Treatment For A Constipated Dog

Old 06-04-2011, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecvMatt View Post
I always add pumpkin to my dogs food for fiber.

I recon you could give him a VERY SMALL amount of laxative or stool softener, but be very careful as the results could be horribly messy if you give too much. EDIT: the link I posted advises against this, though my vet has said otherwise, to be on the safe side, I wouldn't attempt.

Here's a rather informative link: Dog Constipation - Guide On Constipation In Dogs - Treatment For A Constipated Dog
Oh thanks so much I remember now that pumpkin has been mentioned here before I guess I should have searched for it. I am headed out the door so will stop at the store and get some punkin' I think I will forego the laxitive my vet said no to the laxitive as as it can do more harm than good. Good informative link by the way

eta: The reason my vet mentioned the mineral oil was because it was the lesser of two evils laxitive for humans and mineral oil but only a small amount. I am going the pumkin route and will see what happens.

Old 06-04-2011, 12:38 PM

5,013 posts, read 10,694,159 times
Or yams. And/or plain yogurt. Yogurt us usually used to prevent the runs but it is good for constipation as well b/c it actually restores digestive balance.

My fav are yams: loaded with nutrients, I give them to my GSD all of the time to keep her balanced; they work wonders.

I would stay away form mineral oil, especially b/c there are so many safer and more natural things to use.

Old 06-04-2011, 01:08 PM
ZSP

1,765 posts, read 5,120,525 times
All great suggestions...especially the pumpkin, yams and/or yogurt.

Just keep in mind to observe that's he's still eating, not becoming dehydrated and acting normal otherwise. If not on any of the above, he may have an obstruction. Did your vet bring this up at all or is your dog a chewer?

Old 06-04-2011, 02:12 PM

Hi I am back now got some pumpkin and will try that about how much should I give a 50lb dog?
Should i just put some on top of his dinner dish or feed it separately.
To answer the question about the vet. He did bring it up but there does not seem to be an obstruction upon initial exam just feeling around and such. The vet recommended we try to relieve the constipation before we go into expensive xrays and such. We are giving it a week If things get worse or don't get much better then we will go to the xrays. I just love my vet and have been with the same clinic since 1984 so I do trust his judgement. The pupper is drinking well, and seems to feel fine at least on outward appearances. No high temp. nothing like that. He is 11 yrs old now and way past the chewing stage. Thanks for all of the suggestions by the way. I just knew where to go to get some more help. You are all the greatest.

Old 06-04-2011, 02:59 PM

553 posts, read 1,633,040 times
Good, you are buying pumpkin. Start out with a small amount of pumpkin, as it's easier to increase the pumpkin gradually rather than overdo it on the pumpkin and have the poor dog end up with the runs. (True story ) I like to buy a big can of pure organic pumpkin and freeze it in an ice cube tray, then put it in a container or baggie in the freezer. When I need some, just pop one in the microwave for a few seconds and voila, yummy doggie laxative!

Old 06-04-2011, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogmomof2 View Post
Good, you are buying pumpkin. Start out with a small amount of pumpkin, as it's easier to increase the pumpkin gradually rather than overdo it on the pumpkin and have the poor dog end up with the runs. (True story ) I like to buy a big can of pure organic pumpkin and freeze it in an ice cube tray, then put it in a container or baggie in the freezer. When I need some, just pop one in the microwave for a few seconds and voila, yummy doggie laxative!
Great idea about freezing the pumpkin and the ice cube tray will get on that after I give him his first dose of punkin'. I am getting ready to feed him now and will add just a small amount like you suggested. I will keep you all updated on the results.

Old 06-04-2011, 03:44 PM

6,476 posts, read 7,323,649 times
I use sweet potato. Lots of fiber and vitamin A.

Old 06-04-2011, 04:24 PM

Well fed him the food with the pumpkin and that plate <yes I feed them on plates..Martha Stewart plates no less..was clean as a whistle in 10 sec flat he really seemed to like the pumpkin I mixed it up with just a tiny bit of chicken that I had cooked for the other dog of mine that has the runs<when it rains around here it pours> so keep your fingers crossed. I so want them all to feel good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs