U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2011, 06:32 AM

36,485 posts, read 43,786,752 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Why won't you put grandma to sleep?

Honestly?
Actually I feel strongly that each of us should have that choice for our own end of life issues. I watched my own mother endure a very painful, prolonged and miserable death and it was horrible, not just for me but more so for her. If there had been a plug to pull I would have.

This relative lives three states away. I have not said one word to her about what she is doing except "I'm sorry" but I surely have been tempted.

And nobody is talking about killing drooling old people. Again. I'm talking about someone watching her beloved pet die right in front of her eyes. Watching her suffer, can't breath, wasting away, won't eat, on and on. I just want to scream "Enough already".

I realize people have different opinions and this is a controversial topic, Still I just don't get it.

Old 06-06-2011, 07:15 AM

4,036 posts, read 9,199,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
Actually I feel strongly that each of us should have that choice for our own end of life issues. I watched my own mother endure a very painful, prolonged and miserable death and it was horrible, not just for me but more so for her. If there had been a plug to pull I would have.

This relative lives three states away. I have not said one word to her about what she is doing except "I'm sorry" but I surely have been tempted.

And nobody is talking about killing drooling old people. Again. I'm talking about someone watching her beloved pet die right in front of her eyes. Watching her suffer, can't breath, wasting away, won't eat, on and on. I just want to scream "Enough already".

I realize people have different opinions and this is a controversial topic, Still I just don't get it.
I completely agree with you. This is a decision we had to make just last month, and it was one of the most painful ones I've ever had to make.

Our poor old girl was 12 years old. She was a loyal friend and constant companion to all in our family. She joined our family when our youngest was only in the second grade and he's now beginning his 3rd year in college. She had a lifetime of illness, including cancer, almost constant ear infections, 2 bouts of pancreatitis, fatty liver disease and 7 years of cushings disease, but we loved and cared for her, spending whatever it cost to keep her feeling well and happy. Most people would have put her down with the diagnosis of the cushings, when they found out the med's for that alone were about $100 a month. We agreed that we would do whatever was necessary to keep her doing well. She was as much of a family member as any of the rest of us. But we also agreed that we would not be selfish and allow her to suffer. We loved her too much for that. We agreed that when we could no longer keep her happy and comfortable we would let her go.

Finally, and very quickly at the end of April, her liver stopped working and her kidneys began to shut down, and we had to make that call. She was to the point that she was living at the vets office on a morphine drip. Our options were to take her home and let her suffer in pain for days, or just to go ahead and give her the injection and let her rest. We chose to let her rest. It was time. We held her in our arms until she was gone. She was finally at peace. I miss her every single day, but do I regret it the decision? Absolutely not.

Old 06-06-2011, 07:23 AM

2,707 posts, read 5,372,536 times
I really can't bring myself to be judgmental in this situation. I know what I would do, but I also understand the deep love one feels for one's pets, and I know that it can be hard to let go. I really think the pet owner deserves support right now and not criticism.

Old 06-06-2011, 08:41 AM

18,509 posts, read 28,177,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HOF4256 View Post
I may have interpreted it incorrectly, but perhaps it's a matter of seeing all these "updates" from the person which is disturbing?
Not to mention, it's always "in your face" whenever they sign on. It's gotta get old.

I'd bet that if the relative was talking to OP directly in struggling with it and/or went easy on the posting, OP wouldn't be venting right now.
Yeah I agree. A dying pet is certainly not something to make a spectacle of on facebook.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niftybergin View Post
I really can't bring myself to be judgmental in this situation. I know what I would do, but I also understand the deep love one feels for one's pets, and I know that it can be hard to let go. I really think the pet owner deserves support right now and not criticism.
Yeah, I can't either. Apart from it being a difficult choice to make, it is not the observer's choice to make.

Old 06-06-2011, 10:04 AM

3,593 posts, read 10,687,591 times
I've been trying to figure out how to word this so that I don't come off as pushy or judgemental. For everything said here, I agree that it has to be an individual decision on whether its in the dog's best interest to end its suffering. I'm not speaking of putting down a dog with an incontinence problem or one that needs assistance or even constant care. What matters is that they are still actively engaged and seeking love and attention. I make adjustments to our lifestyle to accommodate our dogs when they get to that point and always will. My dogs aren't anymore an inconvenience than my children are.

I'm speaking of a loved pet that is in constant or acute suffering and pain. As difficult as it always has been and always will be for me, I will never let my animals continue to suffer and just wait for the end when there is no hope for recovery. Someone on here said something about no animal chosing death. I disagree with that. When a dog disengages from interaction, stops eating and drinking and becomes apathetic, I do see that as their acceptance that its time for them to leave us. Mostly though I support medical euthanasia because our animals don't understand why they hurt, or can't walk, or can't breath. All they know is that they they are in pain and usually also panicing. I can't and never will prolong a loved pets life just because I selfishly don't want to let them go. I firmly believe that its the final kindness we can do for them. However, if I had my way they would never get old and die.

Old 06-06-2011, 10:13 AM

16,679 posts, read 26,763,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Va-Cat View Post
I've been trying to figure out how to word this so that I don't come off as pushy or judgemental. For everything said here, I agree that it has to be an individual decision on whether its in the dog's best interest to end its suffering. I'm not speaking of putting down a dog with an incontinence problem or one that needs assistance or even constant care. What matters is that they are still actively engaged and seeking love and attention. I make adjustments to our lifestyle to accommodate our dogs when they get to that point and always will. My dogs aren't anymore an inconvenience than my children are.

I'm speaking of a loved pet that is in constant or acute suffering and pain. As difficult as it always has been and always will be for me, I will never let my animals continue to suffer and just wait for the end when there is no hope for recovery. Someone on here said something about no animal chosing death. I disagree with that. When a dog disengages from interaction, stops eating and drinking and becomes apathetic, I do see that as their acceptance that its time for them to leave us. Mostly though I support medical euthanasia because our animals don't understand why they hurt, or can't walk, or can't breath. All they know is that they they are in pain and usually also panicing. I can't and never will prolong a loved pets life just because I selfishly don't want to let them go. I firmly believe that its the final kindness we can do for them. However, if I had my way they would never get old and die.
I tried to rep you but I need to spread it around first, so I'll say it here: "Have I ever told you how much I love you? Very, very much."

Old 06-06-2011, 12:07 PM

36,485 posts, read 43,786,752 times
Thank you VaCat and HtownLove. I knew there were others who agree with my position. Of course I would not tell my relative to put the dog down...... unless she asked for my opinion. I would guess she has thought about it and decided not to take that courageous step.

Old 06-06-2011, 12:20 PM

37,134 posts, read 45,653,323 times
Would you rather die in your bed among familiar surroundings and people who love you, or in a vet's office on a cold stainless steel table with a needle stuck into you?
We just watched our 18 year old cat fade and die. She did not seem to be in pain and she left the world in a quiet bedroom of the house, where we fed her and gave her water until she stopped eating and just went to sleep. It was very peaceful.

Old 06-06-2011, 12:39 PM

18,509 posts, read 28,177,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
Thank you VaCat and HtownLove. I knew there were others who agree with my position. Of course I would not tell my relative to put the dog down...... unless she asked for my opinion. I would guess she has thought about it and decided not to take that courageous step.
my biggest problem would be if she was making it out to be a show on facebook. seeking sympathy is one thing but too much public exhibition is another.

Old 06-06-2011, 02:16 PM

3,593 posts, read 10,687,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
Would you rather die in your bed among familiar surroundings and people who love you, or in a vet's office on a cold stainless steel table with a needle stuck into you?
Missed my point completely. To reword it in a manner that you may understand.

Would you rather die screaming in agony and panic that goes on for hours or days or wrapped in a blanket in the arms of the person that loves you the most, hearing their gentle words, while you painlessly slip away?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or