U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2011, 03:37 PM

57 posts, read 276,120 times

Advertisements

It depends on the situation. If the dog is suffering beyond belief, I agree it should be put down. If it's dying of something, such as old age, then let it have its natural course.

It's the owner's choice- they raised the dog and cared for it. Sometimes we might not agree, but it's their companion and best friend they're losing. It's a hard decision to make and sometimes people want to cling to the very last second.

Old 06-06-2011, 03:44 PM

36,474 posts, read 43,574,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Va-Cat View Post
Missed my point completely. To reword it in a manner that you may understand.

Would you rather die screaming in agony and panic that goes on for hours or days or wrapped in a blanket in the arms of the person that loves you the most, hearing their gentle words, while you painlessly slip away?
so very well put. I know of somebody who took their dog to the vet, went out in the back on the grass with blanket and let the dog pass in the fresh air with sunshine all around. I've done it twice and honestly it was a very peaceful passing.

Old 06-06-2011, 03:52 PM

19,899 posts, read 15,850,582 times
Because all too often our pets, are the same as a family member. If the animal is not in suffering, some cannot bare to put their baby down. Believe me i know this first hand. Our pets, are just as our kids, we love them, spoil them, enjoy them, get mad at them, love them to death.

I think way too often putting a dog to sleep for some, is a means to not being able to handle the animal, how sad this is. We have a believe me a huge 16 year old Pom whom is still going strong, and the vet says is in pretty good shape for his age. This is my daughter's kid, i know for a fact unless this dog is dying and in suffering, she will not bare to put him down., Our love for our pets, is just as if they were our children. I love my pets, and the last opition to putting them down would be no hope for the animal living, suffereing terribly, that i could not bare.

Old 06-06-2011, 04:26 PM

3,593 posts, read 10,645,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandviewGloria View Post
My kids never had pets. They got Trust Funds, instead.
I'm sorry your kids never experienced what it is to give love to another living being. Its not very comforting to curl up with a trust fund after a hard day at work.

Old 06-06-2011, 04:58 PM

13,138 posts, read 20,706,093 times
My friend brought her dog home from the emergency vet a few months ago, to let her die at home. Several friends came over that night, and we sat around the Golden, stroking her, and wishing her a peaceful passing. I watched her take her last breath. There was no struggle, just the end. Then we called a cremation service that picked up the dog and returned the ashes a couple of days later.

It wasn't traumatic for us, or the dog. I would love to see my two dogs go the same way. But, if there was pain involved, I would want to be strong enough to make the decision for them.

Old 06-07-2011, 06:18 AM

The dog finally died last night. Glad it is over for everybody involved. Now her FB page is full of Peace in Death photos as she is an accomplished photographer. Hope she heals soon but I know it will be tough.

Old 06-07-2011, 07:12 AM

2,065 posts, read 4,165,706 times
It is beyond my understanding why someone would expose extremely personal situations of any kind to complete strangers on a website.
I wouldn't have a page like these if I were paid to. Other than for some kind of charity work, I think its purpose is utterly pointless, first bc my life is private, and second bc I am not a nobel prize winner/rocket scientist of any kind who is so interesting that people who I have never met would want to "visit my page" and "friend me".

And as many others said, if this is unacceptable to humans, I cannot, for the life of me, understand why in the world it is acceptable to pets.
I just feel most people for some reason tend to offer sympathy to the ones who decide to put dogs down as opposed to those who decide to stay with them until they pass. And that, is something I don't understand at all.

Old 06-07-2011, 08:01 AM

8,753 posts, read 13,217,604 times
It is a difficult decision and it can be tough to tell how much an animal is suffering at times.

I had a poodle with mitral valve insufficiency last year. We did everything we could do to keep her alive for about 8 months including giving tons of pills twice daily and monitoring her heart rate with a stethoscope. She still had a decent quality of life at that point. She could not go for walks but she had fun eating chicken legs out of my hand while sitting on my lap. We finally knew it was time when she was in the hospital one week for kidney failure caused by dehydration from the lasix and the next for the lungs filling up with fluid because we cut the lasix and rehydrated her. The final straw was when she stopped eating and the vet was proposing sticking a tube down her nose to feed her while hospitalizing her.

It can be a tough call.

Old 06-07-2011, 08:29 AM

16,649 posts, read 26,625,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
The dog finally died last night. Glad it is over for everybody involved. Now her FB page is full of Peace in Death photos as she is an accomplished photographer. Hope she heals soon but I know it will be tough.
At least the dog is no longer in any discomfort. RIP.

Old 06-07-2011, 09:41 AM

Thank you Dawn. Can't rep you but can say Thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or