Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2011, 06:23 PM

5,008 posts, read 10,684,206 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
I have seen people bring in a dog to be put to sleep because the dog always stole things from the counter and the woman lived in an apartment so she could not keep it outside.

I also saw another who brought in a dog to be put to sleep because the dog kept peeing inside the house.

I have no problems with people deciding to end the suffering of their animals, but a lot of times people just don't want to deal with the inconvenience a pet may pose.

finally, not all old pets suffer a long death. I know a few people who had 20 year old cats just go to bed and never wake up. Or Dogs whose only old age malady was being blind. But my great grandma was blind for years, and I was not tempted to end her suffering at all. She was blind but still a hoot
Yes, euthanasia is definitely abused, especially by people who just don't want to deal with older pets. I shudder to think what would happen if the elderly were treated the same way as older and/or "problem" pets.

Old 06-05-2011, 06:49 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,051,718 times
People ---I'm talking about pets- not humans, not relatives,not grandma. And I'm talking about REALLY SICK dog, with labored breathing, who has not eaten in weeks, has to have it's bladder expressed.
I have had to put several beloved pets to sleep. One was a 16.5 year old Bichon who went to work with me every day for 6 years, who was my comfort during many difficult times.

I held him in my arms while the IV was given. Was it fun- of course it wasn't. It was the hardest thing I've done-well almost. But he was suffering and his quality of life was almost non existent. Believe me, I did not do it for me. I did it for him. I owed him that much and allowed him to have dignity in death just as I allowed him to have dignity in life.
Yes I asked for reasons but I'm surprised to see people talking about grandma and such. How is that any different than Do Not Resuscitate orders? I've been on life support before. But there was medical and practical hope. I'm talking about an old dog who is obviously suffering. Obviously at the very end. I still don't understand except that this relative is getting a lot of sympathy and attention. Personally, in this case, I think it is cruel and sick.

Old 06-05-2011, 07:17 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,929,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
People ---I'm talking about pets- not humans, not relatives,not grandma.
Our pets ARE our relatives. They are not something we can just do away with when we become inconvenienced. They are members of the family, and some are more welcomed than Grandma

Oh and Do Not resuscitate is a personal choice made by the sick. Not Grandma is drooling over herself again, time to ship her off to the glue factory. BIG DIFFERENCE.
I don't have a problem ending the suffering of a pet, I just think people abuse the option sometimes

Old 06-05-2011, 07:34 PM

380 posts, read 832,778 times
Quote:
I still don't understand except that this relative is getting a lot of sympathy and attention. Personally, in this case, I think it is cruel and sick.
Agree.
Plus people like this are letting FB turn them into vegetables.
THAT plug needs to be pulled so that this person can start functioning like normal humans used to, back when they had to be proactive in regard to the living beings right next to them.

Old 06-05-2011, 07:56 PM

92 posts, read 112,491 times
Default Who really knows...

It could be that she is posting it in the hopes that more people will see dogs as closer to humans when they see them suffering in death as humans do. Maybe she is thinking it might be educational. I do not think she is doing it to purposely be cruel and I'm quite sure that it is a very painful experience for her, as well.

I don't necessarily condone it, but I don't think it is a choice that anyone else should be allowed to dictate if someone has been a reasonably responsible pet owner, either. It IS your choice to watch it or not, though.....

Old 06-05-2011, 08:30 PM

5,008 posts, read 10,684,206 times
Quote:
People ---I'm talking about pets- not humans, not relatives,not grandma. And I'm talking about REALLY SICK dog, with labored breathing, who has not eaten in weeks, has to have it's bladder expressed.
I have had to put several beloved pets to sleep. One was a 16.5 year old Bichon who went to work with me every day for 6 years, who was my comfort during many difficult times.

I held him in my arms while the IV was given. Was it fun- of course it wasn't. It was the hardest thing I've done-well almost. But he was suffering and his quality of life was almost non existent. Believe me, I did not do it for me. I did it for him. I owed him that much and allowed him to have dignity in death just as I allowed him to have dignity in life.
Yes I asked for reasons but I'm surprised to see people talking about grandma and such. How is that any different than Do Not Resuscitate orders? I've been on life support before. But there was medical and practical hope. I'm talking about an old dog who is obviously suffering. Obviously at the very end. I still don't understand except that this relative is getting a lot of sympathy and attention. Personally, in this case, I think it is cruel and sick.
I am fully aware that you are not talking about humans; that is precisely my point.

As far as I'm concerned, animals should be treated with the same respect and devotion as humans are. Frankly, I can't stand the double standard (i.e. it's alright to "humanely" euth an animal but !heaven forbid we "humanly" euth a person! even as they slowly waste away, very painfully, from incurable cancer, etc.), and I don't think that it's "different" when it is an animal, especially a beloved pet who doesn't even have a choice.

No, the choice is made for that animal based upon what the human decides/wants, not the animal; I don't know any animal that would choose death, even in the face of a deadly sickness. I also know people who would choose a quick death but, ironically, it isn't even allowed by law.

You made your choice, and that's fine. But why do you have such a problem with people having a different opinion or making different choices than the one that you made? If you don't like seeing it, then say your peace and don't watch How would you feel if someone jumped down your throat when you decided to put your dog down? You were already grieving then *wham* someone comes up and just makes you feel even worse. Nice.

Old 06-05-2011, 08:32 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,332,595 times
Quote:
A relative is sitting and watching her 12 year old dog die. She is posting "last pictures" and latest signs on Facebook. Things like labored breathing, leaking heart, wait and see, on her way out, etc.

It's not like they don't have the money to put the dog to sleep. They have taken her to the vet several times, tried lots of meds, etc. But she seems hell bent on this dog dieing in her arms. For the life of me I don't understand. And I know it is Sunday but this has been going on for weeks. And she says "she's on her way out" and other indications she knows the dog is near death.

Why wouldn't any devoted pet lover take advantage of the possibility to end their pet's suffering.
Why won't you put grandma to sleep?

Honestly?

Old 06-06-2011, 04:58 AM

4,585 posts, read 12,361,755 times
I will be facing this issue very soon, my dog was just diagnosed with Lymphoma (cancer) and for right now he is responding to the prednesone and his tumors are shrinking...but the day will come when the medication will no longer work and the tumors will grow again causing him a lot of a pain and suffering. It is my duty as a pet owner not to let this happen. My beloved Gator is now 15ish (rescue) has given me 11 years of faithful companionship and I owe him big time not to let him have a painful drawn out death, it's the very least I can do for him.

When he can no longer eat and drink, or is in pain, it will be time. Death by starvation and dehydration is painful and agonizing and I will not let him suffer like that. I must be brave for him.

This will not be the first time I've had to make this decision, it is the hardest thing we do as pet owners to give our pets a painless dignified death and I will not shirk my responsibility.

Gator will tell me when it's time and I'll be listening.

Old 06-06-2011, 05:38 AM

9,229 posts, read 8,543,305 times
Your relative has had this friend for 12 years. She has been responsible for its complete care, and in return it has given her a love and companionship that she's not gotten from one other. Now she cannot care for its needs to help it out of this time, other than by losing it.

And that would be easy for you? I think not.

Perhaps your relative needs some love and companionship from someone that needs to learn how to give those things. Perhaps you might spend some time visiting and you both may grow to your next levels.

God bless you and keep you.

Old 06-06-2011, 06:25 AM

380 posts, read 832,778 times
I may have interpreted it incorrectly, but perhaps it's a matter of seeing all these "updates" from the person which is disturbing?
Not to mention, it's always "in your face" whenever they sign on. It's gotta get old.

I'd bet that if the relative was talking to OP directly in struggling with it and/or went easy on the posting, OP wouldn't be venting right now.

Quote:
A relative is sitting and watching her 12 year old dog die. She is posting "last pictures" and latest signs on Facebook. Things like labored breathing, leaking heart, wait and see, on her way out, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs