U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2011, 12:18 PM

909 posts, read 2,939,414 times

Advertisements

Ah, I see! Petsmart has been doing this for a long time already. Don't know about Petco, but I think so. They have adoption/rescue fairs every month.

The thing is, the puppies in the pet stores are purebreds. So are you hoping customers who want a purebred will seek out a breeder instead? At shelters and rescues I see mostly mixes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2011, 12:47 PM

3,593 posts, read 10,645,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maestramommy View Post
Ah, I see! Petsmart has been doing this for a long time already. Don't know about Petco, but I think so. They have adoption/rescue fairs every month.

The thing is, the puppies in the pet stores are purebreds. So are you hoping customers who want a purebred will seek out a breeder instead? At shelters and rescues I see mostly mixes.
Very true - most shelter dogs are mixes. If someone does decide that they want a pure-bred dog, its always better to go with a reputable breeder. Thats a breeder that usually will only hand one, maybe 2 breeds of dog in their kennel. They do testing PRIOR TO BREEDING to certify hips and other problems that are passed along genetically. BYB and puppy mills do not care about such things. To them all the dogs are is cash in their pockets.

Shelter, rescue or reputable breeders are always the best way to go. Oh and btw - many breed specific rescue groups do get puppies in occationally! A lot of times what is rescued is a pregnant momma dog ready to drop
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or