U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 06-08-2011, 11:30 AM
 
Location: S. New Hampshire
909 posts, read 2,946,464 times
Reputation: 530

Advertisements

When we're outside playing in the driveway or I'm doing yard work, we keep Shep on a 20 ft tie in. It's next to a very large Rhododendron bush. dh was going nuts because Shep kept chewing on the branches and leaves. Later in the evening he threw up his dinner. But he ate it back up and seems to be fine. The next time I did yardwork I gave him a plastic soda bottle and that seemed to keep him from going for the bush so much, but I did see him chewing on some greenery. He didn't throw up though.

Someone just told me Rhody's are highly poisonous to dogs. How poisonous? Enough to just make them vomit? Enough to kill them or do serious damage? We have Rhody's everywhere, and it's not just our house. They're EVERYWHERE.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-08-2011, 11:37 AM
 
Location: Virginia
447 posts, read 1,003,209 times
Reputation: 349
Better safe than sorry. I would keep dogs away from them...


According to a list distributed by the American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals' Poison Control Center, rhododendrons are toxic to many domestic animals, including dogs. While beautiful in a garden, it is best not to allow your dog to remain unsupervised around these plants for long, as serious health problems can ensue.

Amount
It only takes the ingestion of a small amount of rhododendron matter to cause problems for dogs. The amount ingested may have a different effect depending upon the dog's weight. All parts of the rhododendron plant are considered toxic.

Chemical Properties
Rhododendrons contain a toxin called grayantoxin, which is a neurotoxin. Neurotoxins work to poison the nerve cells of the body.

Symptoms
Symptoms normally occur one to three hours after ingestion. They include, but are not limited to upset stomach, lack of appetite, excessive salivation, depression, weakness, ataxia, leg paralysis, weak heart rate and fatigue.

Serious Effects
After the initial symptoms of toxicity present themselves, intense vomiting and diarrhea, coma, low blood pressure, cardiovascular and central nervous system shutdown and death are all possible unless treatment is sought.

Treatment
If you suspect your dog has ingested rhododendron, seek emergency veterinary medical attention. Medications, as well as life support measures, may be administered to your pet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top