U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2011, 07:23 PM

135 posts, read 314,895 times

Advertisements

Her poop doesn't have a smell at all...well, more than normal, and she does have a tendency to chew on the strangest things ( rocks, the brick corner of our house, my broom). I'm giving her plenty of fluids and she was begging a few minutes ago for bits of hubby's sandwich, so she does have a little appetite. When I talked to the vet tonight he said Parvo treatment would be $500-700 (small West Texas town), but I'm more than willing to pay it if it is needed. I've done some reading and have seen a couple of articles that mention vaccinations can give a false positive for Parvo if they've had them within 14 days of the test. Is this something I should be concerned about?

The good news is she hasn't vomited since I've been home, and only pooped a little and seems to be holding down the fluids.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2011, 08:02 PM

57 posts, read 275,248 times
I don't know if it's parvo, but aren't you going to vet tomorrow? Don't stress! Even if it is parvo, you caught it early and I bet she'll be fine after treatment. It's good she's getting her appetite back and it could just be an upset tummy from the vaccinations. Mine had one and acted pretty weird the night of.

Old 06-10-2011, 09:35 PM

2,806 posts, read 6,488,483 times
Though parvo does cause the same diarrhea/vomiting/lethargy symptoms you've described, as others have said, the smell is something that knocks you out...it is THAT horrible!
The fact that she's keeping down fluids and is interested in food is also making me think it's not parvo, because she would be getting worse, not better, and usually quickly at that. I would still take her to the vet just to be absolutely sure, but don't panic...just keep her hydrated...let us know how everything goes, and best of luck!

Old 06-10-2011, 09:59 PM

6,591 posts, read 20,651,541 times
agree with luvmycat, definatly take her to the vet for a check up, make sure to tell the vet the exact date of her last shots (even if its on record remind them) and bring up your concern about a false positive from the parvo shot.

but it definatly sounds like your taking a step in the right direction, if she seems to be doing better thats a wonderfull sign.
keep us updated!

Old 06-11-2011, 04:27 AM

16,628 posts, read 26,551,353 times
6.27 a.m. EST

What time are you taking Cooper to the vet?

I'm anxious to hear that all is OK.

Old 06-11-2011, 05:32 AM

6,191 posts, read 15,269,284 times
Waiting for an update when you get back from the vet, troyers, hope Cooper is doing OK this morning and it turns out to be a case of "puppy garbage gut" is all.

Old 06-11-2011, 05:56 AM

135 posts, read 314,895 times
I plan to take her when they open at 830, but I've pretty much decided its not Parvo. She isn't vomiting, ate like a little pig this morning, and is currently racing around the house for morning playtime with the other dogs. She definitely feels better. She still has runny poops so I want the vet to check her out for sure, but I think she's going to be ok!! I did find out one thing during this experience....she loves Pedialyte! I'll check in after the vet visit and let everyone know what I find out!

Old 06-11-2011, 06:01 AM

6,191 posts, read 15,269,284 times
Excellent news! I bet it's puppy garbage gut. Which can be scary, I know.
(Take a fresh poop sample in with you if you can. )

Old 06-11-2011, 06:38 AM

16,628 posts, read 26,551,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by troyers View Post
I plan to take her when they open at 830, but I've pretty much decided its not Parvo. She isn't vomiting, ate like a little pig this morning, and is currently racing around the house for morning playtime with the other dogs. She definitely feels better. She still has runny poops so I want the vet to check her out for sure, but I think she's going to be ok!! I did find out one thing during this experience....she loves Pedialyte! I'll check in after the vet visit and let everyone know what I find out!
YAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !! I'm thrilled with this news. I'm now curious (instead of anxious) to hear what the vet has to say, but it sounds like Cooper is doing FINE!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiroptera View Post
(Take a fresh poop sample in with you if you can. )
Excellent advice! I bring Artie's poop in whenever we go for "unexpected" vet visits. They always ask why in the world I brought it in. Um, for fun, I guess.

Old 06-11-2011, 06:46 AM

8,039 posts, read 3,951,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by troyers View Post
Good to read that your pup is doing better
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs