U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-10-2011, 05:43 PM

221 posts, read 810,689 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone, my dog went to the vet yesterday for a physical and his creatine came back at 1.8. His BUN was in normal range and all other tests where fine. The vet said 1.8 is slightly high but not to worry. Does this level mean he is in kidney failure. I will say he was dehydrated yesterday due to it was 100 here. Thanks
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2011, 05:40 AM

3,593 posts, read 10,682,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mindy410 View Post
Hi everyone, my dog went to the vet yesterday for a physical and his creatine came back at 1.8. His BUN was in normal range and all other tests where fine. The vet said 1.8 is slightly high but not to worry. Does this level mean he is in kidney failure. I will say he was dehydrated yesterday due to it was 100 here. Thanks
Yes 1.8 is SLIGHTLY high. An abnormal creatine level CAN indicate kidney issues but is never used alone to make a diagnosis of kidney failure. If his BUN was in normal range and all of his other tests are OK then I'd listen to your vet and not worry. Sounds like your baby is fine

Old 06-11-2011, 05:55 AM

6,191 posts, read 15,360,793 times
I wouldn't worry either, although if he were an older/senior dog I might get another CBC done just to put my mind at rest. Mild dehydration or a high protein diet (or a single high protein meal) can cause a temporary spike in creatinine levels.

Old 06-11-2011, 09:22 AM

221 posts, read 810,689 times
Thanks everyone. he definately has a high in protein diet. He always gets chicken or hamburg over his food everday. He tends to get into the cats food which is fish. So hopefully thats why. But i will keep a eye on it

Old 06-11-2011, 09:33 AM

6,191 posts, read 15,360,793 times
Dr Jean Dodds has a different set of blood values for dogs and cats on a raw (high protein) diet...I can't find it right now but it might be somewhere here .
I would imagine that having meat added to daily meals could affect values. (Hopefully it's not TOO much meat without bones or organs...that can imbalance his overall diet.)

Old 06-15-2011, 09:13 AM

12,886 posts, read 15,429,995 times
If you use the popular flea controls...frontline, advantage etc, be aware that these insecticides can cause kidney failure in your pets....especially older dogs and cats.

Old 06-15-2011, 09:21 AM

8,797 posts, read 13,288,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mindy410 View Post
Dehydration can definitely throw off kidney values and cause reversible damage. I had a poodle in heart failure. She was on heavy lasix which dehydrated her and the kidneys shut down. The values were so bad the vet gave her 2 weeks. Then we rehydrated her and cut back on the lasix and the values were find a few weeks later.

Old 06-15-2011, 10:34 PM

3,593 posts, read 10,682,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by purehuman View Post
If you use the popular flea controls...frontline, advantage etc, be aware that these insecticides can cause kidney failure in your pets....especially older dogs and cats.
Could you please post the source of this information? I've looked at most of the reputable vet sites and can't find anything that supports this statement

Old 06-16-2011, 08:58 PM

12,886 posts, read 15,429,995 times
absolutely...I'll be back

Old 06-17-2011, 06:28 AM

6,188 posts, read 12,628,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiroptera View Post
I wouldn't worry either, although if he were an older/senior dog I might get another CBC done just to put my mind at rest. Mild dehydration or a high protein diet (or a single high protein meal) can cause a temporary spike in creatinine levels.
CBC (complete blood count) is for checking electrolytes, anemia and infection, things like that, it's not the blood test you want for checking organ function, you want a blood chemistry or senior profile.

To op: put the cats' dishes somewhere your dog can't get to them. Cat food is much higher in protein than dog food and is not good for dogs in general.

Depending on how much of it you give him, cut back on the human food, cooked chicken and hamburger may be okay for treats, but should not be part of his every day diet, because it will be taking the place of his dog food which is nutritionally balanced for him. Just a few small pieces sprinkled over the top.

Did your vet suggest a retest in a few months? How old is your dog?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or