Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2011, 08:18 PM

5,812 posts, read 18,823,233 times

Advertisements

We have two small female dogs, three inside cats and three outside cats. About two months ago we gave them their Comfortis pills. It's what they were on last year. We used Frontline a few years ago, but it stopped working so we went to the Comfortis pills.

Anyway, Comfortis doesn't seem to work this year. Last month we tried Frontline. Same result. We've also sprayed them and the furniture down with cedar oil, hoping it would have some kind of at least minimal effect.

It's hard to have pets inside when fleas jump on you constantly. I actually found two fleas biting me at the same time a little while ago.

We're really not sure what else to do. My Grandpa tried Advantix on his dog and it didn't work. My sister does not live with us, but she has an apartment dog. Last year he didn't really need flea medicine, but this year it is bad. Fleas just seem to be really bad this year. I feel awful because I'm scratching all the time. I love my pets, but not their little friends. We do change our bedding and vacuum fairly often, but if we need to more we can.

Any other advice as to what to try? We've tried Comfortis and Frontline with seemingly no relief. My Grandpa also tried Advantix on his dog and noticed no relief. Is anybody else having this problem? Can fleas be controlled?

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2011, 08:30 PM

27,074 posts, read 11,841,613 times
Talk to the vet! Do anything they suggest...try flea baths and powders...increase vacuum/bed changing...then buy a FLEA BOMB for your home and set the thing off!!!

Just be sure to leave home prior to using it, WITH your dogs as per instructions!

Quote:
Originally Posted by STLCardsBlues1989 View Post
We have two small female dogs, three inside cats and three outside cats. About two months ago we gave them their Comfortis pills. It's what they were on last year. We used Frontline a few years ago, but it stopped working so we went to the Comfortis pills.

Anyway, Comfortis doesn't seem to work this year. Last month we tried Frontline. Same result. We've also sprayed them and the furniture down with cedar oil, hoping it would have some kind of at least minimal effect.

It's hard to have pets inside when fleas jump on you constantly. I actually found two fleas biting me at the same time a little while ago.

We're really not sure what else to do. My Grandpa tried Advantix on his dog and it didn't work. My sister does not live with us, but she has an apartment dog. Last year he didn't really need flea medicine, but this year it is bad. Fleas just seem to be really bad this year. I feel awful because I'm scratching all the time. I love my pets, but not their little friends. We do change our bedding and vacuum fairly often, but if we need to more we can.

Any other advice as to what to try? We've tried Comfortis and Frontline with seemingly no relief. My Grandpa also tried Advantix on his dog and noticed no relief. Is anybody else having this problem? Can fleas be controlled?

Thanks.

Old 06-08-2011, 04:23 AM

4,231 posts, read 15,418,446 times
Change the vacuum cleaner bags often, the little critters can live there. Also you can cut up a flea collar and put some in the bag - we've put it in some of the windowsills in the house (not sure where I read it or if it really helps). THey are a darn nuisance, that's for sure. Would also treat your yard w/ some flea-preventative stuff and use a flea comb on your pets, you might get more off that way too.

Old 06-08-2011, 07:01 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,329,809 times
Revolution

Old 06-08-2011, 12:01 PM

4 posts, read 11,635 times
Those are all great options IF you don't mind putting poisons on your pets.
Try Diatomaceous Earth, Nationally known pest control companies are adding it to their arsenal! You can put it on pets, sprinkle in the house, fedd it to them and put in yard!
Try Natural Chemistry products, they kills fleas and ticks on contact AND are not pesticides!
Feed an all natural diet, as what we eat is the basis of ALL health.

Old 06-08-2011, 12:13 PM

265 posts, read 952,378 times
We use Diatomaceous Earth for all crawling insects. It works great. Just make sure its not the pool version.

Old 06-08-2011, 02:18 PM

4,918 posts, read 22,673,640 times
Many of the commerical and natural flea control remedy are designed to deal with only one or two of the life stages of a flea. Some may work against the eggs or larva, but not the pupa or adult fleas. Others amy do three but not the fouth. because flea life cycle is short, you can have reinfestation occuring because some of the life cyle stages are missed and the treatment misses all the cycles.

When buying a treatment or looking at a treatment make sure it encompasses all four stages, eggs, larve, pupa & adult, and make sure you continue the treatment for at least 90 days after you see a decrease to ensure the cycle has been broken completely and all four stages treated.

Old 06-08-2011, 02:25 PM

14,785 posts, read 24,071,257 times
you have to switch back and forth and also have a proffesional come spray your yard ever since all my relatives spray their yard they dont have flea problems and also they use the front line spray they find it more effective than the drops . I also use the frontline spray too never had a flea problem either .

Old 06-08-2011, 08:57 PM

5,812 posts, read 18,823,233 times
We ordered some of that earth stuff off of Amazon. We'll give it a try, anyway.

Old 06-08-2011, 10:09 PM

5,026 posts, read 15,284,533 times
We use Revolution and have never had an issue. And, I don't use the dosage they recommend for the weight, since I have a 50 lb. dog and the dosage is from 40-85 lbs, and I refuse to poison him. So, he gets the 20-40 lb. dosage every 2 months and not a single flea issue. And we live in an area with year-round fleas. You should give Revolution a try, it also protects against heartworm and sarcoptic mange. Revolution kills adult fleas and eggs, so you get the best of both worlds.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs