U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2011, 12:17 PM

4,128 posts, read 13,268,210 times

Advertisements

A dremel is like a grinder, you tap it against the nails lightly b/c if you do it too hard, it will get hot and burn your dog. There's electric ones and battery-operated ones, one is quieter than the other and your dog may be more accepting of it, but I cant rem. which one as it's been a while since we've used one. Many ppl love them and swear by them, they say their dogs are relaxed and almost fall asleep - but mine never did ;-0

A thought - when your puppy is relaxed and laying still, you might want to clip one or two nails, that's it. If that goes OK, then the next nite try another nail or 2. There's no rule that says you have to clip all at one time. It might be less stress for him (and you).

W/ a schnoodle, fur hair can grow long and if you're using a dremel and if the fur is really long, it can possibly wrap against the machine so what you might want to do it get a knee-high nylon stocking and put his foot thru it so only the nails show, that might be safer on the little guy.

I had a friend whose small dog hated her nails clipped. Not unusual for many dogs. Finally, after trying one strategy and another, she got a webbed lawn chair, put it on a table w/ the dog securely in so its feet dangled and she clipped while her daughter fed the dog vanilla ice cream. It worked, LOL. Was a little clever and inventive, not sure if she still does it that way. The webbed lawn chairs are a little hard to come by these days but if you go to a garage sale, you might be able to get one.

Another owner spread peanutbutter on a paper plate, taped the plate to the wall and while the dog licked it, somehow would clip its nails. It worked but prob. was a bit messy.

I guess 'necessity is the mother of invention' in those 2 cases, LOL.

Myself, personally, I take mine to the groomer's about once every 4-6 wks, more often in the winter when they're not walked so much and their nails grow longer faster - they're pretty good - it's hard to see the quick in our black dog (the main vein which can bleed if you clip the nail too short) - occ. it's happens though and occ. I get scratched myself. I liked our previous groomer who would dremel the nails on their front feet so they were fairly smooth and not scratch, if you're wearing shorts etc. It's not their favorite thing but once they're on the table and Im holding them and the girl clips, it's over in 3-4-5 min., literally, no exaggeration. She gives them small soft treats later which they love.

It is challenging in the beginning but it does get better. I still have to rem. to wear long sleeves, just in case I'd get scratched. Last time my hand did but I can't really wear gloves in June, LOL.

A suggestion - invest in a little jar of Kwik-Stop in case you clip too short and he bleeds, it stops the bleeding immediately, they're not thrilled w/ it b/c it does sting somewhat but it does help. I think it comes in a gel now too but it's prob. more $$ - would use the dry Kwik-Stop, it's prob. around $5-6. Somehow Im thinking it might be easier just to take him to a groomer. They do get used to it, I think it's harder on us than them. Hope some of this helps, good luck and keep us posted.

Last edited by Honeycrisp; 06-18-2011 at 12:27 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2011, 08:02 PM

398 posts, read 754,799 times
Thanks for the excellent suggestions, Honeycrisp.

Quote:
I had a friend whose small dog hated her nails clipped. Not unusual for many dogs. Finally, after trying one strategy and another, she got a webbed lawn chair, put it on a table w/ the dog securely in so its feet dangled and she clipped while her daughter fed the dog vanilla ice cream. It worked, LOL. Was a little clever and inventive, not sure if she still does it that way. The webbed lawn chairs are a little hard to come by these days but if you go to a garage sale, you might be able to get one.
I was thinking about attempting something very similar next month. Have a spot in the house where I can get him up with just his feed dangling down - will have my wife feed him some yummy treats while I clip his nails.

I'm guessing this will work! *fingers crossed*

BTW, your groomer sounds awesome. I have a separate threat on groomers in the Charlotte forum - I hope to find someone just as gentle with Rocky.

Old 06-18-2011, 08:25 PM

4,128 posts, read 13,268,210 times
When we first took our first pug, the groomer was very nice and let me sit in the middle of the lobby while she went around the clipped, that didnt work - another time I fed her little soft treats as she was clipping but it was like rewarding her for bad behavior so we nixed that - another time I held her like a football and stood while the groomer clipped, that was better but not great - eventually I went in the back w/ her and she stood on a table while the groomer clipped - it was better that way as she was better balanced but I kept getting new groomers who the main groomer hired and once there was a lot of blood on the arm of my jacket that I didnt even realize til I got home - not really anyone's fault but I just wasnt that comfortable going there - I prob. liked the expensive groomer who dremeled most of all but he was a bit further away - I like where I go now and they seem to love our dogs but I wish they'd clip their nails a bit shorter but I guess we can't have everything we want, can we?! Actually we'll be moving to another state and will have to switch groomers in the near future so hopefully we'll find someone good, am anticipating no problems. I'd prob. use the groomer at the vet but he's $$ and just moved his practice to another groomer in town so Im hesitant to use the vet's new groomer and at this point, prob. wouldnt change again, they like where the groomer (as much as they'd like any groomer, LOL) and she's very down-to-earth. Oh, I forgot, we used another groomer when the one who dremels was hospitalized for several weeks, they were nice and did a good job too, just a little out of the way compared to where I go now. THe one groomer (who dremeled) is pretty professional and said he told a client he'd no longer clip their pug's nails b/c it took several ppl to hold him down and just too darn time-consuming and interfered w/ his other clients and his schedule so unless they got their pug to relax when his feet were being handled, they prob. should find someone else (not sure what happened b/c they moved to another state). Anyway, Im sure Rocky and you will do fine, he sounds like a very lucky pup to have such caring parents ;-)

Old 06-18-2011, 08:44 PM

1,611 posts, read 2,473,095 times
Our dog is petrified of many sounds, and the hair dryer os one of them. (Surprisingly, she is not at all frightened by thunder - is actually fascinated by it - runs to window to look out) We use the Dremel and she is not thrilled to get her nails trimmed, but she is certainly not afraid of it. One of us holds her on our lap, stroking her head or her belly, while the other dremels (Is that a proper verb?). When we first started using the dremel, I showed her that I was using the dremel on my nails. Don't know if this made a difference, but maybe she thinks if its good enuf for daddy, it's good enough for me! :-)

Old 06-21-2011, 05:08 AM

909 posts, read 2,939,802 times
This topic was just discussed last week in our dog class.

The instructor suggested just handling the feet, while giving treats. Do that for a week. Then bring out the clippers, but don't clip, just handle the feet, give treats for another week. Finally, have the dog sit "in your lap. Spread some PB or cream cheese on the hand that is holding the paw, and while the pup is going to town on it, clip one nail. If you can do one nail each night, you're good.

Old 06-21-2011, 07:01 AM

398 posts, read 754,799 times
Update - he's finally OK with us handling his feet. Tons of treat and consistently working with him pretty much every day for at least a week.

Will give it some more time before I try clipping his nails.

Old 06-21-2011, 01:50 PM

383 posts, read 536,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PacificFlights View Post
I second the Dremel or one of those as seen on tv nail tools. It;s very difficult to hurt the dog using one and its a gentle way to maintain the nails. I eventually stopped using the pet nail attachment and sandpaper wheel to only the 1/2 inch cove stone. Since your not cutting the nail but sanding them down, the dogs do not associate the nail care with anything negative. Its the difference between cuting your nails with a nailclipper or using an emory board. As a matter of fact, an emory board is another option.

I agree. I only use the Dremel on my dogs, works great.

Old 06-27-2011, 05:43 PM

69 posts, read 88,129 times
I will have to try the dremel. Good idea.....

Old 06-27-2011, 05:51 PM

4,919 posts, read 19,792,227 times
Before spending money on a Dremel (unless you already have one) or the nail attachments, go out and buy one of those As Seen On TV pedipaws (?) for about ten buck or so and give it a whirl.

Old 06-28-2011, 05:30 AM

6,441 posts, read 4,418,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djshinodalp View Post
Is dremel like a drill type tool? Dog can't stand a blow drier sound, so don't think that will go well either.

Anyways, took him to a groomer today and paid him $8 to be the bad guy. Clipped 2 of his nails too much and he was licking them all through the ride home.

Being my first experience, I think I can attempt to do this next time around with my wife's help. I'll come back and update when he's ready next month or so?
It's a shame the groomer clipped too deep. You have some good suggestions here already. Since Rocky is a small dog, what I do for clipping the cats nails might work. I get clippers, a flexible lamp and my reading glasses ready at my desk. Then I sit with a cat in my lap on their backs but halfway upright with their upper body between my waist and boobs. I lean over and get them in a bundled up position with my body and then start clipping. They're sort of all snuggled up with my arms around them while holding paws and clippers and this keeps them from twisting away. I'm also getting a good look at the nails. It even works with my 20yr old who always started screaming with other methods even before the clippers touched her. I rarely get more than one foot done at a time with her but that's okay. At least she's not screaming. I do the good time thing with a treat for them after the clippings. You could start with Rocky by just getting him into the position for some snuggling, get up and do the "good boy" and treat and next time do just one nail as already suggested. Happy nail trimming for Rocky!

Last edited by Dallas Kitty; 06-28-2011 at 05:45 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs