U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 06-19-2011, 06:26 AM
 
Location: Simmering in DFW
6,948 posts, read 19,392,029 times
Reputation: 7202

Advertisements

I have my granddog, Moe, for a week --- 3 more days. He is a 17 year old boston terrier. Yep, 17!!!

He is a bit deaf and he's very near sighted and has a touch of osteoporosis but in general is a dog who is still pretty social and curious. However, I have had to keep him corralled either in the laundry room or in a crate now for 4 days because he marks EVERYTHING. I have tried following him around with a fly swatter giving him a mini-swat every time he lifts his leg indoors, but as soon as I turn my head he's at it again. I hate to keep him so isolated. The only time he gets to be around the other dogs (his brother, my 2 dogs and my 2 fosters) is outside --its over 100 here in Dallas so not much time out there for canines or humans -- and he really wants to be with us when we watch TV at night or just hanging around the house.

I am quite fond of him; my son adopted him when he was in college and Moe was just 12 months old. Hate to have the poor ole guy all alone....... ideas??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-19-2011, 07:21 AM
 
Location: West Virginia
12,387 posts, read 31,350,745 times
Reputation: 8077
Let them spend as much time as possible together outside! Or you could get Belly Bands for him! Change them often!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-19-2011, 07:28 AM
 
4,127 posts, read 13,266,252 times
Reputation: 3756
He may have a urinary tract infection. Is he neutered, neutering helps but at 17, it's prob. too risky. I would stop w/ the fly swatter as it's not doing any good anyway and prob. just making him confused, nervous and fearful. Would look into belly bands (you can google them) as Katie said or weenie wraps while in the house - put a woman's panty liner inside it to absorb it - but remember to take it off when he's outside. GIven his age, he could just be incontinent - not sure if there's meds that can help the poor old guy. Hope some of this helps, good luck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-19-2011, 07:17 PM
 
Location: SE Michigan
6,191 posts, read 15,303,083 times
Reputation: 10248
Oh my...well he is a little old man and 17, so please stop whacking him with a fly swatter! It's not working anyhow, so why bother with something that isn't working?

You have two more days left....don't know why this is such a drama but if he wants to hang out with the herd while you are watching TV or whatever, put him on-leash and keep him contained. That way you can respond appropriately if he hikes a leg or needs to go out....sort of a no-brainer, really.

If he is like this at your daughter's house, she should take him and a pee sample in for a UTI check.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-19-2011, 07:25 PM
 
Location: Simmering in DFW
6,948 posts, read 19,392,029 times
Reputation: 7202
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiroptera View Post
Oh my...well he is a little old man and 17, so please stop whacking him with a fly swatter! It's not working anyhow, so why bother with something that isn't working?

You have two more days left....don't know why this is such a drama but if he wants to hang out with the herd while you are watching TV or whatever, put him on-leash and keep him contained. That way you can respond appropriately if he hikes a leg or needs to go out....sort of a no-brainer, really.

If he is like this at your daughter's house, she should take him and a pee sample in for a UTI check.
Thanks.....I said I TRIED swatting him (on one occasion, it didn't work so I didn't do it again). Not SUCH drama, but I was sad for him when I wrote this post because he was so lonely being isolated and doesn't do this at his house. But thanks to everyone's suggestions -- I'd forgotten about belly bands -- I went to the pet store and bought him some cloth doggie diapers that are denim and it looks like he's wearing cutoff's . It did the trick and he's been roaming free since lunch time today. He is so much happier now and has been playing with the 2 puppies I am fostering also. My son & DIL get him right before midnight Tuesday, so he has two full days here to play and roam freely. Yay!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-19-2011, 07:33 PM
 
4,127 posts, read 13,266,252 times
Reputation: 3756
Glad it's all working out - forgot to mention but for a small dog, you could try onesies (like a baby wears), it would go over his body and they may be less expensive than the belly bands or weenie wraps - sounds like you have a plan though and glad there was a good solution for everyone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-19-2011, 07:35 PM
 
Location: SE Michigan
6,191 posts, read 15,303,083 times
Reputation: 10248
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squirl View Post
Thanks.....I said I TRIED swatting him (on one occasion, it didn't work so I didn't do it again). Not SUCH drama, but I was sad for him when I wrote this post because he was so lonely being isolated and doesn't do this at his house. But thanks to everyone's suggestions -- I'd forgotten about belly bands -- I went to the pet store and bought him some cloth doggie diapers that are denim and it looks like he's wearing cutoff's . It did the trick and he's been roaming free since lunch time today. He is so much happier now and has been playing with the 2 puppies I am fostering also. My son & DIL get him right before midnight Tuesday, so he has two full days here to play and roam freely. Yay!!
Sorry your initial post gave me visions of him being whacked repeatedly for peeing!

Quote:
I have tried following him around with a fly swatter giving him a mini-swat every time he lifts his leg indoors, but as soon as I turn my head he's at it again.
I dunno...I am sort of a hard-ass with the dogs in my house generally but a softie with seniors....I figure if they've been good dogs for most of their lives, they get to eat cheese danishes, sleep on the furniture and generally get a break. I am glad the belly band is working.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:21 AM.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top