U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 06-21-2011, 05:56 PM

8,167 posts, read 16,910,144 times

Advertisements

Lady my new Papillion puppy PEES in the Litterbox But Refuses to POO in it! Got any Tips how I can get her to do Both!! She wines & goes Poo on her Bed UGH!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2011, 12:19 AM

43,015 posts, read 49,321,608 times
I've never heard of litter box training a dog. But your post inspired me to research it.

Is the box near her food dish or bedding? Is it even remotely close? This article says that the litter box needs to be AS FAR AS POSSIBLE AWAY from food and bedding. Move one or the other to the compete other side of your house. It would probably be best to move the food and bedding instead of the box.

Another thought. Does she actually sleep in her bed? Or just poops in it and sleeps elsewhere? If she isn't sleeping in her bed and using it to poop, I recommend getting a second litter box and placing it where her bed is located. Throw the bed away. She might just need two different places to poop and pee---one litter box for each activity.

Old 06-22-2011, 02:19 AM

She sleeps on the bed or did I have removed it & gave her a small hand towel to curl up on. She Pees in the litterbox & sleeps in her pee!! I am sure shes just confused LOL Her breeder use to hold her all the time grrr When we were at the breeders she was following her other paps around & mopping up after them!!! Was Mom & Dad litter bro & Older sister! And of course my puppy in a small kitchen. When I asked if she was Paper trained or trained to go outside. The Breeder put paper down NOT 1 dog went to the paper! When I put the pup down to see what she do ... Hoping she get to potty before we left. The Breeder Snached her up!!! I Dont think this puppy knows what paper is or what its for!

Old 06-22-2011, 09:03 AM

6,117 posts, read 9,068,846 times
we 'litter box" trained our chihuahuas but we dont use litter, we use pee pads in a box (as the male is a leg lifter)

it certainly sounds like this is a problem thats come from the breeder, puppies often house break much easier (no matter what method you use) if they can see their mother not going in the house or using certain areas ect...
it sounds like you bought from a byb who realy didnt want you to know that the dogs had no clue what the paper (or outside) was for, the fact you saw her mopping up after your pups parents too speaks volumes.

because of this id start from step 1.

you train to use a litter box the same way you train to potty outside, frequent repitition and praise.

firsly id suggest using wee wee pads in a wee wee pad holder or some other kind of box...a big plastic tote box with the front of the longest side cut out so she can go in and out. this gives the pad a much more visable physical boundry making things alot easier (its common for dogs to have front paws on and assume the back ones are on too...)
the nice thign with wee wee pads is they are treated with an attractant.
if you want to use papers i would still suggest using a box to form a boundry around the paper.

now, once an hour, imediatly after she wakes up, imediatly after a good play session and ANY time you see her displaying potty behaviours (excessive sniffing, circling ect) take her to that box, (do it more frequently if you have to...) tell her "go potty" and if she does, praise like crazy! if after a few minutes nothing, let her go about her buisness for baout 15 mins and try again...do this untill she does something and praise like crazy.

youll repeate this eventually stretching out the amount of time between taking her to her potty box...
untill shes going to it on her own.

dont move the box, make sure its in the same spot all the time so shes never confused.

part 2: make sure her bed is small enough, i do 100% endorse crate training, even more so if your trying to litter box train...the crate should be big enough for her to stand up, turn around and lay down comfortably, if shes pooping in her bed it means her bed is too big...(Or shes sooo used to sleeping in her own mess from the breeders that it doesnt bother her...if its the latter youll have a little more work ahead of you)

part3: when you cant supervise her 110% she needs to be in her crate or tethered to you...an unsupervised puppy is a problem puppy lol.
and i mean even if you jus tneed to go pee, make sure shes secured in a small area.

if you dont crate train you want to set her up a "safe room" a laundry room or bathroom works well for this...the smaller the room the better. she should have enough room for her bed and food/water dishes on one side of the room, and then on the other (but not more than 5 ft from the crate) shoudl be her potty box. when you cant supervise her 110% she shoudl be in this safe zone.

as i said, the rest is simply repitition, just keep taking her to her box and priasing...
dont give her chance to make a mistake.

if shes pooping somewhere she shouldnt be, its because you wernt being proactive enough or watching her closely enough...so just be much more active in taking her to that box.

now unfortunatly for you...while most puppies will naturally not sleep where they poop/ect...your puppy has gotten so accustomed to being surrounded by her own mess that its over rided that natural instinct.
so in your case your going to have to be even more proactive about it...make sure to never let her sleep in her pee box, make sure if she does have an accident you clean it up immediatly using an enzamatic cleaner, and never scold her for it...your job is now going to be 're-programming" her so those natural instincts of "dont potty where you sleep" can kick back in...so keep her eating and sleeping areas clean as possible and take her to her box frequently.

if shes having issues with pooping in the box you can put a little bit of poop on the pad, just a little schmear so she can smell thats what its for.
and again when she goes, be it with you putting her there or her going to the box on her own, make a big deal out of it

i would also suggest though, once shes getting the hang of pottying in the box you also train her to use outside as well...

same method...
because shell also be litter box trained shell never reliably tell you if she needs to go out, but by getting her used to pottying outside wil also mean if you go out anywhere your not tied down to taking pee pads everywhere with you ect.

Old 06-22-2011, 05:07 PM

I carry paper whenever I take Katie out [just in case] Easier then me picking up poo! As here its a fine IF you dont pickup after your dog!! Plus before we enter stores I want her to try so no accidents inside!! Katies breeder Had her trained to use paper when I got her at 4 months! But Lady breeder ... Well I dont think she had the pups ON paper! And I cant just let her out the crate & take her 2 steps outside I have to carry her Cause as soon as her feet hit the floor she Potties!!!!! I tried taking her direct to Katies Tray she just sit there looking at me like I crazy LOL I cant wait her out My limits on standing is 5 mins!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs