U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-23-2011, 09:32 AM

6,475 posts, read 9,926,451 times

Advertisements

What is it that makes pugs sensitive to heat?

i have a family that wants to adopt a pug mix I'm fostering, but their dogs are outside when the family is not home. They are willing to install a doggie door, but what can I tell them about heat sensitivity for this breed? they're a wonderful family, except for the issue about being outside for 8 hours a day. This dog is sensitive to heat, so I'll most likely say no to the adoption, but I need to be armed with information before I call them tonight to discuss the adoption.

thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2011, 09:49 AM

7,330 posts, read 13,232,101 times
Any dogs with shortened muzzles like bulldogs, pugs, or boxers are more susceptible to respiratory problems from heat, smoke, etc. They're called brachycephalic (sp?) breeds. The only problem I see with a doggie door to be able to get into a cool house, is that dogs don't always use good sense about heat. Many times I've had to make my dogs come in against their will when they were obviously starting to get overheated.

Old 06-23-2011, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by subject2change View Post
Any dogs with shortened muzzles like bulldogs, pugs, or boxers are more susceptible to respiratory problems from heat, smoke, etc. They're called brachycephalic (sp?) breeds. The only problem I see with a doggie door to be able to get into a cool house, is that dogs don't always use good sense about heat. Many times I've had to make my dogs come in against their will when they were obviously starting to get overheated.
Oh, I see. This dog doesn't have the short pug muzzle, so i can't use that. He's got the chi face, but the pug body. I just suspect he's not a fan of the heat, so he just comes inside on his own.

I'll have to ask them to install the dog door and do a home inspection, I guess. Ugh... very nice family, and it'll be difficult to say no.

Old 06-23-2011, 01:44 PM

4,919 posts, read 19,853,905 times
Tell the people to stay outside for the same period of time and see how they feel.

Old 06-24-2011, 06:19 AM

6,186 posts, read 12,624,605 times
Just say no. "This dog needs to be inside during the day, so you are not an appropriate family" . end of.

Old 06-24-2011, 07:18 AM

4,130 posts, read 13,307,278 times
Have to agree w/ the others. What if the dog (or any dog) is outside sleeping on a hot day, gets disoriented and can't find its way back into the house - ? It's a real problem and happened to someone I know, luckily the owner came home in time to realize what happened and the pug survived. Personally, as convenient as doggie doors can be, I wouldn't chance it. Another thing, if they have access to outside, anyone can come in the yard and dognap one of the dogs, I know it's farfetched but it has happened, they can also get teased by neighborhood kids etc, just too chancy leaving them home alone unattended outside, mine are in and out a lot - prob. more than necessary - while it can be a pain, they are safe (unless someone comes in and dognaps them which I have heard of happening, in one case someone removed the door and stole other items and in another case, someone went thru a back window simply to get the dog (turned out to be a neighborhood kid who had been a former friend of the family)).

Old 06-24-2011, 09:25 PM
ZSP

1,568 posts, read 4,174,581 times
Nice family or not, Pugs are heat sensitive and are not outside dogs. Frankly, I pretty much believe that about all dogs but that's another thread.

I personally own and foster Boston Terriers and French Bulldogs. Under no circumstances will I approve a potential adoptive home that wants to make them yard dogs...no way, no how, doggy door or not.

Old 06-25-2011, 09:24 AM

With a dog door, he wouldn't be a yard dog. He has that now.

Old 06-26-2011, 07:22 AM

6,186 posts, read 12,624,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steelstress View Post
With a dog door, he wouldn't be a yard dog. He has that now.
But you already said you don't want them to adopt him. It's your choice to say no, right? Go with your gut on this, and animals welfare and happiness is at stake.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs