U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2011, 03:23 PM

3,592 posts, read 10,656,868 times

Advertisements

Wow thanks for all of the suggestions!!!!! Now its time for me to start doing my research. It took a few years to find out exactly how to make Gator as comfortable and non-reactive as possible. I'm gonna try to better that record with Kohla. I'm going to check with the allergist on the suggestions y'all gave to see which he feels might be the best to try first (if we go with commercial food). With Gator, it wasn't until I had him on a home made/ home mixed diet for over 5 months that we were finally able to exclude food as the source of his allergies. Its gonna be harder to do that with Kohla if I have to go out and hunt up a 6 month supply of venision, duck or (lord help me) kangaroo!

Get ready for pictures! I'll post them tomorrow after I pick him up. Thanks again for the suggestions!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2011, 09:19 PM

6,591 posts, read 20,740,335 times
rabbit is an exclent protein source if you can find it but tends to be very espesive...
barring rabbit id start with duck, fish or venison

Old 06-23-2011, 10:43 PM

5,027 posts, read 13,386,542 times
Most dogs are not allergic to protein, but rather the grain/fillers/artificial ingredients in the food. They react to a food labeled chicken, but in reality that is not what causes it but is the easiest to blame.

Wellness has a line of food that has 1 protein/1 grain/carb ingredient only so that you can easily figure out the allergen. It's called Simple Solutions and is specifically formulated for dogs with allergies. In fact, many holistic vets will recommend it in place of the prescription diets, which are filled with tons of fillers which tend to cause allergies.

This is a link to the duck/rice formula, but you can find others on the site as well.

Wellness® Simple Food Solutions® Rice & Duck Formula

I make a ton of PC's food and use pork, venison, fish, elk, wild boar, kangaroo, alligator, ostrich, buffalo, etc. We're lucky to have local butchers that carry these products and he has never reacted to any of them. When I can't cook for him, I buy from this company in Newport Beach. I've visited them several times and love their philosophy and PC just adores the food, so we buy quite frequently. They ship nationwide, using dry ice and since it's fresh, real food the chance of allergies is quite low.

TrueFoodForDogs: TrueFoodForDogs: The Best Food for Your Dog, Honest.

Old 06-24-2011, 01:51 AM

1,181 posts, read 2,575,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Va-Cat View Post
As I've been shouting from the highest hills of Houston....our new boy Kohla is coming in tomorrow from Best Friends. One of his biggest challenges are his allergies. Right now, he is on Hills prescription ZD ultra. He doesn't do badly on it but is still somewhat reactive.

Unfortunately, his allergies are really REALLY severe. The wrong food equals immediate and severe flair up of skin and ear issues. At Best Friends, they aren't really able to do an exclusion diet to figure out exact food triggers for allergies.

I want to start right away to narrow down what food he is allergic to. I've always started but using organic chicken and brown rice as the starter in an exclusion diet. Unfortunately, that is the one thing that BF did try and Kohla is highly reactive to chicken prducts. I don't want to use beef or lamb either since he has probably had both of those in his life ( He is now over 6 years old). I need something that he probably has never had but want to make sure that it won't make DH faint at the cost either.

I'm drawing a blank! What protein can I feed this guy for an exclusion study? Any ideas would be appreciated but I will really appreciate ones that don't fall under the catagory of gourmet food!

Should also note that he is going to a local canine allergist for an environmental allergy panel next week. If he is reactive to anything on that, we will be starting him on allergy injections immediately. Thanks!
You'll probably need to find a meat he's never been on, perhaps venison, bison (buffalo), or even something really exotic such as ostrich. But, hopefully something less exotic such as one of the first two meats or even rabbit, cornish game hen, or turkey would work.

Old 06-24-2011, 10:14 AM

6,591 posts, read 20,740,335 times
i do agree wiht mak 100% its not nessicarily the "chicken" but all the corn, soy, and antibiotics the chicken was fed before it was processed and sold as meat
(corn and soy are of course the 2 biggest culprits for food allergies in dogs and cats)

if you can find local farms that free range their chicken...chickens wernt meant to eat corn (or soy) they eat bugs, roots, shoots, leaves, grass ect. infact before humans came along and started growing corn on mass no animal would eat corn as its primary diet, and yet thats what most of our meat is fed these days. so you may find better acceptance of free range "organic" chicken than of the normal store bought chicken...
(though free range in store simply means the chickens had acess to outdoors it doesnt mean that outdoors they wernt also overcrowded, and pumped full of antibiotics and corn/soy based feed)

you might want to try craigslist for a source of venison. put an add out for hunters to donate any freezer burned meat or any off cuts they dont personally want/need.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or