Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2011, 12:41 PM

3,748 posts, read 12,403,639 times

Advertisements

As I've been shouting from the highest hills of Houston....our new boy Kohla is coming in tomorrow from Best Friends. One of his biggest challenges are his allergies. Right now, he is on Hills prescription ZD ultra. He doesn't do badly on it but is still somewhat reactive.

Unfortunately, his allergies are really REALLY severe. The wrong food equals immediate and severe flair up of skin and ear issues. At Best Friends, they aren't really able to do an exclusion diet to figure out exact food triggers for allergies.

I want to start right away to narrow down what food he is allergic to. I've always started but using organic chicken and brown rice as the starter in an exclusion diet. Unfortunately, that is the one thing that BF did try and Kohla is highly reactive to chicken prducts. I don't want to use beef or lamb either since he has probably had both of those in his life ( He is now over 6 years old). I need something that he probably has never had but want to make sure that it won't make DH faint at the cost either.

I'm drawing a blank! What protein can I feed this guy for an exclusion study? Any ideas would be appreciated but I will really appreciate ones that don't fall under the catagory of gourmet food!

Should also note that he is going to a local canine allergist for an environmental allergy panel next week. If he is reactive to anything on that, we will be starting him on allergy injections immediately. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2011, 12:51 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,025,722 times
What about turkey? Maybe it's Taste of the Wild (grasslands flavor) that has turkey as the main ingredient? I don't recall. Oh, hang on, I think it also has chicken. Nix that.

What about fish??? Taste of the Wild has a Pacific Stream one.

Old 06-23-2011, 12:54 PM

1,457 posts, read 4,054,527 times
I'd say fish, and I've heard kangaroo?

Old 06-23-2011, 01:29 PM

1,257 posts, read 4,575,239 times
Natural Balance® Vegetarian Formula. It is recommended by University of Florida for dogs with immunosystem problem. I think it may help since it contains no animal protein.

Old 06-23-2011, 01:43 PM

9,352 posts, read 20,027,284 times
venison or duck or lamb??

eta....

nature's recipe brand dog food (yellow bags at petsmart) DOES have a venison flavor and a lamb flavor and from what i recall, neither wascrazy expensive.... couldn't have been, because i fed them to my dogs off and on....

eta again ... scratch the lamb suggestion....

Old 06-23-2011, 01:44 PM

92 posts, read 208,328 times
You could try a fish, duck, or venison proteins. Natural Balance has Limited Ingredient formulas in each of those proteins separately. I think they have a Sweet Potato & fish formula, a Potato & Duck formula, and a Sweet Potato & Venison formula. They are all grain free and can help with an elimination diet. I wouldn't ever use a vegetarian dog food, dogs are meant to eat meat and a vegetarian diet just goes completely against nature for a canine diet.

Wellness also has a "Simple Solutions" line of limited ingredient formulas. I believe they have a Rice & Duck and a Rice & Salmon formula.

Old 06-23-2011, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by latetotheparty View Post
venison or duck??
Why didn't I think of that? Artie loves both of those. I thought of fish, which Artie hates.

Old 06-23-2011, 02:06 PM

7,329 posts, read 16,422,758 times
TOTW has bison and venison, I think that's the High Prairie formula. It's pretty rich and fart-inducing, but apparently very tasty. I know there's another bison formula out there too.

Old 06-23-2011, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by subject2change View Post
TOTW has bison and venison, I think that's the High Prairie formula. It's pretty rich and fart-inducing, but apparently very tasty. I know there's another bison formula out there too.
That's what Artie eats. Even though I call him Artie Fartie, he doesn't fart, really. The occasional toot-toot, but it's not often.

Old 06-23-2011, 02:56 PM

4,231 posts, read 15,421,974 times
Have also heard of kangaroo and also rabbit. Would think if he's allergic to chicken, odds are he's allergic to turkey and prob. duck. It may be trial and error but that's hard too, best of luck w/ your new kiddo.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs