U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2011, 04:20 PM

4,919 posts, read 19,783,328 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
How do you know he didn't? In fact, we don't anything about what actually happened. This is upsetting to me bc a dog was hurt...but also because it's more proof how easily people are swayed by factless, sensationalist media.
Its to be expected. Remembr the lashing I got last August over the AA flight with the 7 dogs that died? People wanted to cruxify the airline, the airline employess and me for asking for calm before jumping to conclusions. I would have been lynched for asking for patienbce until the investigation was finsihed but no, the media sensationalizim and emotional tirades of many was the fuel on a fire.
Now, we don;t hear anyone even mentioning the airlines or their staff nobody calling for the heads of the employees, nobody saying the airlines are to blame... With the FACTS in and emotions in check, truth trumped irrational emotions and wacko flying off the handle. The truth was all about Puppy Mills, Lying about puppies ages, Administering prescription medication without veteraniarian approval, Imporoper and negligent transportation protocals from Mill to airport, Falsely concealing known medical conditions, and sedative overdoseing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2011, 04:24 PM

1,457 posts, read 3,447,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2justynsarah View Post
I beg your pardon! I have a Boston Terrier and a Shiba Inu who will both be 14 years old soon. They have lived a wonderful life thanks to how they have been loved and fussed over. They are indoor dogs who spend their senior days snoozing in a comfy bed with air conditioning, fresh water, food and tons of hugs and kisses.
Double that on the beg your pardon.

Old 06-24-2011, 04:29 PM

6,191 posts, read 15,298,480 times
I dunno...if this was a caring owner (or caretaker) who had gone off to get help or something, why did he not go to the vet hospital and take responsibility for the dog afterwards?

Of course for all anyone knows, this person may have been in the process of stealing the dog, there's not enough detail to really know what happened.

I can't imagine leaving a collapsed dog for any reason...I'd carry it to someplace where it could be cooled down with water, or where I could get to a phone, or help, something. If someone is fit enough to be biking, I imagine they're fit enough to carry an AB-sized dog at least a short distance.

All I can do is speculate though....I am glad Popeye is in good hands now.

Old 06-24-2011, 05:23 PM

4,033 posts, read 8,562,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
Typical of how people in Florida treat their pets...sad to say.
I was actually going to criticize statewide as well when I heard this story. However, that really isn't fair. There are a lot of people in FL. who treat their pets well (myself included), although there are also tons of jerks. But no state is immune from people who abuse or neglect animals.

Old 06-24-2011, 05:42 PM

6,191 posts, read 15,298,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarlaJane View Post
I was actually going to criticize statewide as well when I heard this story. However, that really isn't fair. There are a lot of people in FL. who treat their pets well (myself included), although there are also tons of jerks. But no state is immune from people who abuse or neglect animals.
There are jerks and uneducated dog owners in every state.

Yesterday while at work (home improvement, usually in very upscale neighborhoods) I drove past a man biking along slowly with a panting Pug on a leash. It was in the 80s and extremely humid here yesterday (Michigan.) Small, brachycephalic (squishy-faced) dogs are notoriously heat-intolerant, I can't imagine.

I slowed down to say something to him but he'd already turned the corner into a cul-de-sac so hopefully he was just about home. This was in a fairly exclusive golf-course subdivision....I do bike and sometimes drive with my dogs to run them but would not dream of doing so in that sort of weather!

Old 06-24-2011, 05:50 PM

18,856 posts, read 31,600,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2justynsarah View Post
I beg your pardon! I have a Boston Terrier and a Shiba Inu who will both be 14 years old soon. They have lived a wonderful life thanks to how they have been loved and fussed over. They are indoor dogs who spend their senior days snoozing in a comfy bed with air conditioning, fresh water, food and tons of hugs and kisses.
Sorry, I suppose what I meant, is that dogs are treated two ways in this area, either like royalty, or like throwaway toys. Some people treat their dogs great, others could care less. I read about dog abuse in Fort Lauderdale the other day, that was truly horrifying. I suppose that happens everywhere...it must be a class issue, culture issue, education issue? I don't know...Socio-Economic issue? All I know, is that I have never seen as much animal abuse as I have seen since I moved here to South Florida. Every day I see random dogs, wandering the streets here...abandoned.

But, yes, I have also seen wonderful pet owners, usually older people, who treat their pets like psuedo children, and buy them little outfits, and take them around in strollers...a wonderful dog life.

Old 06-24-2011, 06:34 PM

7,330 posts, read 13,167,971 times
I went on wtsp's website and did a search for bulldog bicycle. I got 1 result:

Strangers donate to save heat stroke stricken dog | wtsp.com

I was not asked to sign in.

Old 06-24-2011, 07:23 PM

1,100 posts, read 2,654,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
Sorry, I suppose what I meant, is that dogs are treated two ways in this area, either like royalty, or like throwaway toys. Some people treat their dogs great, others could care less. I read about dog abuse in Fort Lauderdale the other day, that was truly horrifying. I suppose that happens everywhere...it must be a class issue, culture issue, education issue? I don't know...Socio-Economic issue? All I know, is that I have never seen as much animal abuse as I have seen since I moved here to South Florida. Every day I see random dogs, wandering the streets here...abandoned.

But, yes, I have also seen wonderful pet owners, usually older people, who treat their pets like psuedo children, and buy them little outfits, and take them around in strollers...a wonderful dog life.
Apology accepted!

Old 06-24-2011, 08:09 PM

43,405 posts, read 52,393,689 times
I think breeding those squish-faced dogs who can't even breathe or breed on their own is animal abuse.

Old 06-24-2011, 09:17 PM

43,405 posts, read 52,393,689 times
If all journalism these days is YELLOW journalism, do we still call it yellow journalism...or is it just the new standard of journalism?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or