U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2011, 08:37 PM

5,244 posts, read 14,036,595 times

Advertisements

This past weekend I got up at 5:30 to take the dogs out to potty. I usually open the door to the back yard and the dogs I trust run on out on their own, me counting heads as they go. Then I get the leash for Randy (pittie / dane mix) and big Munchi (daughter's boxer / boston terrier, or 'Boxster' as I call her) and take those two out. While we're out there I do head count again. We're currently at 14 and I have them in my brain in groups. I'm a numbers person and I group everything. 3 OS chis, 3 of 'our' dogs, 4 big dogs, 2 cocker boys, 2 boarders.

As I'm doing head count, one of 'our' dogs is missing. Not my Munchi brat. She doesn't go out until 10 or 11 each day. Wish I had her bladder. Not Angus, he's following closely at my heels. It's Gizmo.

I always worry about him and BooBoo when they're missing because of their age and medical issues. So I finish walking Randy and big Munchi and re-kennel them and head off to look for Giz. Not in bed with daddy. Not on his bed in the laundry room. Not on his bed in the mud room. Not on his blankie in the living room. Not on the blankie in the hall way.

So now I'm getting really worried. He's usually in one of his places; he's a total creature of habit. So I start looking under tables and in corners. He likes small, confined, dark places. I must have looked and called for that brat for 10 minutes. John wound up getting up scared silly about his little 'arm ornament' and helped me looked. I'm in the bathroom looking in cabinets - I have no clue how he would have gotten there but by now I was desperate - and I hear John laughing like crazy, calling me.

I find him in the kitchen looking between a cabinet and the stove, where we keep the dog food. Huge 50 pound bag of food. Where's Giz? IN the bag. Yes, inside. Apparently he'd decided that it's not good enough to dig out every piece of food from his dish on to the floor to pick the pieces he wants, or to dig out every piece of food from the bag (his newest trick), but now he owns the food and has decided to sleep in the bag. He'd crawled in at some point that night, dug out of the bag what wasn't comfy (dog food of any kind is??) and curled up and went to sleep.

So now I'm having to empty the bags of food into huge garbage cans with lids to keep him out! 5 pound brat is going to make me nuts. I know he is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2011, 05:30 AM

1,136 posts, read 1,874,534 times
That's just too cute! I had a kitten that did that. Furry friends never cease to amaze us.

Old 06-24-2011, 05:50 AM

13,826 posts, read 18,819,895 times
i had a yorkie that used to do that and I thought my first husband was going to kill me after what he paid for that dog she was a mini yorkie ,3lbs to be exact . no wonder I could not find her she was in a 10 lb bag of dog food and why my first husband bought 10 lbs of dog food for a 3 lb dog was beyond me . Well anyway every dog has it's strange behaviors I suppose. Good luck with gizmo .

Old 06-24-2011, 07:25 AM

16,693 posts, read 26,792,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrs1885 View Post
As I'm doing head count, one of 'our' dogs is missing. Not my Munchi brat. She doesn't go out until 10 or 11 each day. Wish I had her bladder.
HAHA! Gizmo is a riot! LOVE!

My question, though, is about Miss Munchi. She doesn't go out until 10 or 11? Seriously? What time is her last outing of the night?

I really don't give Artie's bladder enough credit, especially because I work from home and can take him (or let him) out whenever his heart desires.

We're out the door at 6am. I don't know if he *really* has to pee (our last walk the night before ends at 9pm) or if I've just gotten him into the habit.

If I don't let him out in the yard (because it's raining and, hence, muddy), I take him out 5 times per day, ranging from 6am to 9pm. He really doesn't need all those outings, does he? What's "normal" for a dog?

(I'm asking this because I'd love to get a traditional job, working away from home, but I can't imagine how I'd retrain him after I spoiled him for more than 4 years. I'd have someone come walk him mid-day, but that'll still be nothing compared to what he's used to.)

Old 06-24-2011, 04:05 PM

5,244 posts, read 14,036,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DandJ View Post

My question, though, is about Miss Munchi. She doesn't go out until 10 or 11? Seriously? What time is her last outing of the night?

I really don't give Artie's bladder enough credit, especially because I work from home and can take him (or let him) out whenever his heart desires.

We're out the door at 6am. I don't know if he *really* has to pee (our last walk the night before ends at 9pm) or if I've just gotten him into the habit.

If I don't let him out in the yard (because it's raining and, hence, muddy), I take him out 5 times per day, ranging from 6am to 9pm. He really doesn't need all those outings, does he? What's "normal" for a dog?

(I'm asking this because I'd love to get a traditional job, working away from home, but I can't imagine how I'd retrain him after I spoiled him for more than 4 years. I'd have someone come walk him mid-day, but that'll still be nothing compared to what he's used to.)
The last time I take them out is between ten and eleven. She waits about 12 hours. And only goes out a few times during the day. She prefers to not be: A) too hot B) too cold C) in weather that's too humid D) in weather that's wet - rain is TOTALLY unacceptable. And snow? Um, that breaks two rules at once. Spoiled doesn't begin to cover it with her.

The boarder dog I've got though - a peke / pom mix, holds it about 15 hours at a time. She went out last night at 9 and I made her go out today at 3PM. 18 hours! I've had a dog hold it over 24 hours before. Some have incredible bladders. Then there's Randy. Big, bad, rough, tough pitbull / dane mix. Scare him, he pees. Don't take him out in 4 hours, he pees. New person walks in the house, he pees. He's a pee machine. Last night he went walking around the dining room table in the middle of dinner, peeing a river as he walked. Made a complete circle around the table as John and I are yelling 'outside, outside'. *sigh* Makes me crazy. He'd just been out about 3 hours before.

What's normal for a dog? Hmmm...... If I ever get my hands on a normal dog I'll let ya know! LOL

Old 06-24-2011, 04:09 PM

7,330 posts, read 13,257,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DandJ View Post

Dawn, why don't you start gradually spacing the walks out farther? If you do it gradually enough hopefully he won't nag too much and you'll get a sense of how often he really needs to go.

Old 06-24-2011, 04:15 PM

Quote:
The last time I take them out is between ten and eleven. She waits about 12 hours. And only goes out a few times during the day. She prefers to not be: A) too hot B) too cold C) in weather that's too humid D) in weather that's wet - rain is TOTALLY unacceptable. And snow? Um, that breaks two rules at once. Spoiled doesn't begin to cover it with her.

The boarder dog I've got though - a peke / pom mix, holds it about 15 hours at a time. She went out last night at 9 and I made her go out today at 3PM. 18 hours! I've had a dog hold it over 24 hours before. Some have incredible bladders. Then there's Randy. Big, bad, rough, tough pitbull / dane mix. Scare him, he pees. Don't take him out in 4 hours, he pees. New person walks in the house, he pees. He's a pee machine. Last night he went walking around the dining room table in the middle of dinner, peeing a river as he walked. Made a complete circle around the table as John and I are yelling 'outside, outside'. *sigh* Makes me crazy. He'd just been out about 3 hours before.

What's normal for a dog? Hmmm...... If I ever get my hands on a normal dog I'll let ya know! LOL
OMG!!! One can go 24 hours and then there's Randy, peeing willy-nilly.

Artie's a pee machine -- he can pee 12 times while we're out -- I don't know where it's all stored, really. But today was rainy and the yard was muddy, so we didn't go out as much as we usually do. I think I'm going to start practicing keeping him longer and longer to see how he does. (Let's see how long I can keep that up.)

Old 06-24-2011, 05:25 PM

6,191 posts, read 15,380,921 times
That is hysterical.
And yet, it makes a strange sort of sense....sleep where the food is!

Quote:
This past weekend I got up at 5:30 to take the dogs out to potty. I usually open the door to the back yard and the dogs I trust run on out on their own, me counting heads as they go. Then I get the leash for Randy (pittie / dane mix) and big Munchi (daughter's boxer / boston terrier, or 'Boxster' as I call her) and take those two out. While we're out there I do head count again. We're currently at 14 and I have them in my brain in groups. I'm a numbers person and I group everything. 3 OS chis, 3 of 'our' dogs, 4 big dogs, 2 cocker boys, 2 boarders.

As I'm doing head count, one of 'our' dogs is missing. Not my Munchi brat. She doesn't go out until 10 or 11 each day. Wish I had her bladder. Not Angus, he's following closely at my heels. It's Gizmo.

I always worry about him and BooBoo when they're missing because of their age and medical issues. So I finish walking Randy and big Munchi and re-kennel them and head off to look for Giz. Not in bed with daddy. Not on his bed in the laundry room. Not on his bed in the mud room. Not on his blankie in the living room. Not on the blankie in the hall way.

So now I'm getting really worried. He's usually in one of his places; he's a total creature of habit. So I start looking under tables and in corners. He likes small, confined, dark places. I must have looked and called for that brat for 10 minutes. John wound up getting up scared silly about his little 'arm ornament' and helped me looked. I'm in the bathroom looking in cabinets - I have no clue how he would have gotten there but by now I was desperate - and I hear John laughing like crazy, calling me.

I find him in the kitchen looking between a cabinet and the stove, where we keep the dog food. Huge 50 pound bag of food. Where's Giz? IN the bag. Yes, inside. Apparently he'd decided that it's not good enough to dig out every piece of food from his dish on to the floor to pick the pieces he wants, or to dig out every piece of food from the bag (his newest trick), but now he owns the food and has decided to sleep in the bag. He'd crawled in at some point that night, dug out of the bag what wasn't comfy (dog food of any kind is??) and curled up and went to sleep.

So now I'm having to empty the bags of food into huge garbage cans with lids to keep him out! 5 pound brat is going to make me nuts. I know he is.

Old 06-24-2011, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by subject2change View Post
Dawn, why don't you start gradually spacing the walks out farther? If you do it gradually enough hopefully he won't nag too much and you'll get a sense of how often he really needs to go.
I didn't see your post when I was responding before -- probably because I was posting and playing ball with the furry man named Artie.

That's exactly what I'm going to do. I think it will be good for both of us, actually.

Old 06-24-2011, 06:16 PM

135 posts, read 318,580 times
This is so funny! I can just see it now. Did you get a picture?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs