Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2011, 10:09 PM

3,605 posts, read 9,054,460 times

Advertisements

My dogs are on Wellness Senior, they both like it and do well on it. I read the labels on what I eat and do the same for the pups. I make treats for them, oats, molasses, flaxseed etc.. They also love fruit and veggies, cucumbers are their very special treat and lately grilled peaches with honey are drool-worthy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2011, 06:09 PM

30,246 posts, read 23,716,365 times
My dogs, (and cats), get fed raw, prey model raw. Their coats are incredibly shiny, their teeth are pearly white, they have zero health issues, zero bm issues, full of energy, are at a healthy weight, not fat like many dogs, and they look really good.

Old 07-05-2011, 04:05 PM

5,118 posts, read 16,592,135 times
Blue Buffalo Small Breed Adult Chicken and Brown Rice Dry Dog Food.

I have a 10 year old, 12 pound Dachshund/Toy Pooddle mix.

I've also bought Taste of the Wild, Natural Balance or Natures Balance, and one other one I can't remember. She seems to like Blue Buffalo best.

Old 07-05-2011, 10:22 PM

2,398 posts, read 3,832,812 times
Halo Spot Stew chicken kibble, and Spot Stew canned food (variety) with a little pumpkin or hubbard squash mixed in with each meal. Innova is another good food that we've used but one of my dogs gets a bit itchy when she eats too much of it.

Old 07-06-2011, 08:36 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,914,531 times
I have an active 1 yr. old field bred English Springer Spaniel. He's all energy. I feed him what the breeder and his trainer have recommended:

Native® Performance Dog Food | Products

Old 08-16-2011, 03:10 AM

9,408 posts, read 11,926,044 times
We feed our boy Orijen Adult, I think it's the regional poultry/fish variety. We tried all their varieties but he likes this one the best. In fact he loves it. Been feeding him Orijen since he was 6 mos. He has good breath, makes great poops that are easy to clean up, has a nice shiny coat and good health, and since fillers aren't an issue he doesn't have to eat much. It's kinds pricey..we use to have to mail order it but now there's a local reseller, but one large bag will last him 4 months.

I'd like to go raw, but honestly I don't have the time to deal with it, so I feel this product is a good compromise.

Old 08-16-2011, 04:10 AM

1,253 posts, read 3,633,305 times
Talking Kibble

If it has fillers i.e. corn, what isn't absorbed, you will be picking up. I don't use anything that has gluten in it, whether it's wheat or corn. Do you remember a couple of years ago when dogs were dying because of their food? Some of it was "premium" food and it was due to the gluten.

I also stay away from meat by-products. If it does not identify the "meat" I won't feed it to my dogs.

I was using Iams but a recent adoption has not done well on it and currently we are trying "Authority" - Lamb. He is adjusting well. Another one that works well is "Fromm" Duck and sweet potato, it is good for sensitive skin and is easy to digest.

Probably the best food is home cooked, there are recipe books for dog food. It just depends on your preference.

Old 08-16-2011, 08:07 AM

17,823 posts, read 23,442,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvABull.Denver View Post
If it has fillers i.e. corn, what isn't absorbed, you will be picking up. I don't use anything that has gluten in it, whether it's wheat or corn. Do you remember a couple of years ago when dogs were dying because of their food? Some of it was "premium" food and it was due to the gluten.

I also stay away from meat by-products. If it does not identify the "meat" I won't feed it to my dogs.

I was using Iams but a recent adoption has not done well on it and currently we are trying "Authority" - Lamb. He is adjusting well. Another one that works well is "Fromm" Duck and sweet potato, it is good for sensitive skin and is easy to digest.

Probably the best food is home cooked, there are recipe books for dog food. It just depends on your preference.
You should not buy anything that includes "by-products", whether it is animal specific or not. All by-products are from the indigestible parts of the animal. Chicken by-products, for example, includes the feet, beaks, and feathers.

Old 08-16-2011, 03:28 PM

17,349 posts, read 16,485,995 times
We feed our dogs a combination of 2 parts Nutro Max lamb & Rice to 1 part Kirkland brand Lamb & Rice.

Their poops are much firmer (way less messy) on the Nutro Max than they are on the Kirkland brand. But the Kirkland brand has a higher nutrition rating plus it's a little less expensive than Nutro.

So we combine the two to get the best from both brands: clean poops, good overall nutrition, lower cost.

And, of course, they do get their treats - some healthy, some not so much...

Old 08-17-2011, 10:38 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,692,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReturningWest View Post
I feed Taste of the Wild, and I love it. It is considered premium, however, with this dog food I feed so much less of it, it comes out to about the same in dollars.
I feed TOTW (High Prairie, they don't like any of the others) as well and I agree completely about it being a much better 'value' for the amount spent. I rotate the TOTW with Wellness Core (the pretty brown bag, I think it is mostly chicken) which is a bit more expensive but is often on sale in PetCo.

That said, as has been noted, there is no food that is 'perfect' for every dog. I have one dog with beef and other allergies and my Sibe has very sensitive digestion so it took quite a bit of trial and error before we settled on these two brands.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs