U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2011, 01:17 PM

16,649 posts, read 26,630,359 times

Advertisements

So, I'm gearing up for our move to our new house in about a month. You know... the house on the hill, so that in the winter, when it's icy, I won't be able to take Artie for a walk without the risk of breaking all my arms and legs.

The plan is, once we move in August, to "train"

(HAHAHAHAHA! excuse me, the thought of training Artie makes me laugh uncontrollably and uncomfortably)

him to do his business (including poop, which is the troublesome spot) in the back yard.

In this back yard, he pees to his heart's content. However, when it comes to poop, he has to be BURSTING in order to do it in the back. On the odd occasion when he has, I throw a party, he comes running to me with the proudest grin on his face ("I did it! I did it!"), I give him treats, kiss him up... and then he won't poop out there again until he's busting again. When I know that it's poop time -- that he's gone too long -- I walk him and he almost instantly poops. I KNEW IT! I knew he had to go; he just won't go in his yard!

I did a little research and came upon this product:
http://www.amazon.com/Natures-Miracl...9288204&sr=8-2

I thought that, if it worked, I'd spray it in an area of the back yard

(let's call it "King Artie's Throne," shall we?)

and he'd be *inspired* to poop out there.

But I could only find one review on it (it was bad), and she sounds like a bitter pill.

Anyone here try it? Results?

Last edited by DawnMTL; 06-28-2011 at 01:43 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2011, 02:05 PM

6,591 posts, read 20,715,536 times
never tried it but i do like natures miracle products over all.

ive had good experiences with something called a "pee post" which is a plastic post thats been treated with attractant chemicals so i think as long as you spray regularly (rain ect will wash it away) it might work.

Old 06-28-2011, 02:17 PM

6,441 posts, read 4,417,868 times
Looks like an interesting product but I don't know anyone who has used it. Searching for experience/opinions no help, just two more of the same - smells like a barn, stinks, dog doesn't care. I did see on "It's Me or the Dog" a couple with 2 (or 3) dogs and they were allowing all the pooping in the back yard, not cleaning it right and it was all over the yard. That's the reverse of your situation but what Victoria did (aside from telling them they must walk the dogs) was create a privacy area for dog pooping with some pretty white 4 foot balcony rails. The dogs quickly took to it. Maybe a private area would mean something to your dog.

Old 06-28-2011, 02:17 PM

3,593 posts, read 10,645,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DandJ View Post
So, I'm gearing up for our move to our new house in about a month. You know... the house on the hill, so that in the winter, when it's icy, I won't be able to take Artie for a walk without the risk of breaking all my arms and legs.

The plan is, once we move in August, to "train"

(HAHAHAHAHA! excuse me, the thought of training Artie makes me laugh uncontrollably and uncomfortably)

him to do his business (including poop, which is the troublesome spot) in the back yard.

In this back yard, he pees to his heart's content. However, when it comes to poop, he has to be BURSTING in order to do it in the back. On the odd occasion when he has, I throw a party, he comes running to me with the proudest grin on his face ("I did it! I did it!"), I give him treats, kiss him up... and then he won't poop out there again until he's busting again. When I know that it's poop time -- that he's gone too long -- I walk him and he almost instantly poops. I KNEW IT! I knew he had to go; he just won't go in his yard!

I did a little research and came upon this product:
http://www.amazon.com/Natures-Miracl...9288204&sr=8-2

I thought that, if it worked, I'd spray it in an area of the back yard

(let's call it "King Artie's Throne," shall we?)

and he'd be *inspired* to poop out there.

But I could only find one review on it (it was bad), and she sounds like a bitter pill.

Anyone here try it? Results?
Never tried it but just hearing you describe the situation has me cracking up! I've finally found the key that has opened Sammie's lockdown on that particular activity. She was like Artie - never in the yard...on the walk only. Sammie loves one particular toy and I just keep throwing it around for her in the back yard until nature wins out over her stubborness. Usually only takes around 5 minutes or so. I use it when the temp outside is too high for me (or her) to comfortably go for a walk or when the mosquitos are so think that they would drain us dry. So far its worked. Maybe you can try it with Artie. Just excite the s$#t right out of him!

Old 06-28-2011, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxywench View Post

ive had good experiences with something called a "pee post" which is a plastic post thats been treated with attractant chemicals so i think as long as you spray regularly (rain ect will wash it away) it might work.
Hmmm. I might look into the "pee post" (and rename it to the "poop post"). Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitty_FL View Post
Looks like an interesting product but I don't know anyone who has used it. Searching for experience/opinions no help, just two more of the same - smells like a barn, stinks, dog doesn't care. I did see on "It's Me or the Dog" a couple with 2 (or 3) dogs and they were allowing all the pooping in the back yard, not cleaning it right and it was all over the yard. That's the reverse of your situation but what Victoria did (aside from telling them they must walk the dogs) was create a privacy area for dog pooping with some pretty white 4 foot balcony rails. The dogs quickly took to it. Maybe a private area would mean something to your dog.
Ahhhh! I might try that private area idea. I'm not sure that he'll care one way or another, but it's definitely worth a try. Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Va-Cat View Post
Never tried it but just hearing you describe the situation has me cracking up! I've finally found the key that has opened Sammie's lockdown on that particular activity. She was like Artie - never in the yard...on the walk only. Sammie loves one particular toy and I just keep throwing it around for her in the back yard until nature wins out over her stubborness. Usually only takes around 5 minutes or so. I use it when the temp outside is too high for me (or her) to comfortably go for a walk or when the mosquitos are so think that they would drain us dry. So far its worked. Maybe you can try it with Artie. Just excite the s$#t right out of him!
You got Sammie to do it!?!??? You lucky dog!!! Errr, that's not right. ANYway...

I don't think that the toy thing will work with Artie. He loves when I "play toys" with him in the house. Outside, he's all about nature. Y'know, chasing and barking at squirrels. Chasing and barking at birds. Chasing and barking at... air.

The "excite the s$#t right out of him" thing gave me an idea, though. Sometimes, when his bowels are being stubborn (honestly, why is EVERYTHING such a trial with him???), I purposely walk by a few houses where I know Cody (some sort of barky shnauzer mix) will be within his electric fence or where Shelly (a lunging husky) will be on her tie-out. They SCARE the s$#t right out of him. I wonder if I can simulate that somehow.

Rubs paws together and ruminates... [insert maniacal laughter here]

Old 06-28-2011, 03:26 PM

9,352 posts, read 16,774,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foxywench View Post

i set 2 of these out in my yard when i first brought dave home.... he had lived his whole life in the shelter and was used to just peeing and pooping wherever he was.... they did seem to help.....

also, the idea of a privacy area is a good one too.... like artie, bailey HATES, LOATHES AND DESPISES pooping in the backyard... and will go around to the side of the house or a far corner of the front yard if she has to do it out there.... i have always thought that she considers the yard, (the back yard, in particular) an extension of the house and she came to me pretty much house-trained at 4 months old.... only accidents she has EVER had in the house were my fault (2x) and once when she was sick.... and she nearly DIED of embarrassment and shame while i was cleaning up after her....

in any case, i digress a bit.... when she was still able to go out to the park in the mornings, i swear, i think she had been saving up since the last trip to the park the day before..... AND she would usually try to conceal herself in the bushes or brush while doing the deed....

also, i have heard that you can take some of the dog's poop and put it in the area that you want him to use so he gets the idea of that area being the potty spot.... not something i have experience with, but it does make sense.... sorta......

Old 06-28-2011, 03:46 PM

E, exactly... I think that Artie sees the back yard as an extension of the house, too; that's why he goes aaaalllll the waaaaayyy to the baaaaaack of the yard when he does bless it with his poop.

The privacy thing, too. He very rarely poops when we walk with someone he doesn't know well. Honestly, he's just like me and my shy bladder. I can't use a public bathroom when someone else is in it -- God forbid they should hear the tinkle of my pee.

Old 06-28-2011, 03:58 PM

13,782 posts, read 18,690,385 times
You know what I have a little girl chihuahua who will not poop if you are watching her . But she will go by herself and I have seen her look to see if anyone is watching her LOL !!! Really strange dogs we all have here . Good luck with Artie dawn let us know how it works for you .

Old 06-28-2011, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
You know what I have a little girl chihuahua who will not poop if you are watching her . But she will go by herself and I have seen her look to see if anyone is watching her LOL !!! Really strange dogs we all have here . Good luck with Artie dawn let us know how it works for you .
HA!!! She sounds just like me.

I just realized how ironic this is. Artie is a shy pooper. I have a shy bladder. You'd think he'd realize that it's not fair that he comes into the bathroom with me EVERY TIME that I have to pee.

Old 06-28-2011, 07:27 PM

6,591 posts, read 20,715,536 times
my male crestie and both the familelies female chihuahuas are similar, they go to the furthest corner of the yard and wont go if they think your watching....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or