Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2011, 05:15 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,259,715 times

Advertisements

My large eleven month old Gumby hates my cell phone. He doesn't try to chew it at least like any milk carton within reach (with or without milk) but as soon as I pick up the phone he's watching. As soon as I slide it open he's dancing and batting and trying to chew everything in sight he knows will get a reaction. That failing he goes into the woo-woo-woo call, like he'd talking to me and ends up in howls. Put him outside before using the phone and he still hears that click and sits at the door with the noise. He's like a large and very long legged two year old when it comes to the phone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2011, 07:15 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,364,053 times
Sam always "patrolled" the yard, he went around the perimeter, and there was actually a "wolf" path in the grass of his patrol area. After he patrolled the perimeter, he went to the cherry tree, and always marked it. He always marked that tree...

Then, every time he came in the house, he would immediately go to his dog dish, just checking for random food, then, go to his second station, under the high chair. I had the cleanest kitchen floor. No food on that floor.

He would always go check all the kids, and his Grandma, and he would get upset if everyone was not all in one room, he wanted everyone in the family room all the time.

For some strange reason, he only liked the orange ball. He had other balls, but only carried around the orange one. He loved his "Wriggley Giggley", and would chew that thing...and protect it.

Silly dog.

Old 06-30-2011, 08:55 PM

6,591 posts, read 24,860,312 times
lol, ive got a frined whos border collie makes the rounds all night making sure everyone is in their rooms...lord help them if they need to elave the room to go to the bathroom, he wont let them out unless the mother is there and says they can leave their rooms.

makes me giggle every time.

Old 06-30-2011, 09:17 PM

3,748 posts, read 12,405,738 times
LOL - I love these stories too! Most of my group's behavour is predictable. Mariah will sit by the pool when she wants to swim. Gator will nose me to the food dishes at dinner time. Sammie though...has a little quirk that is really sort of cute. Anytime she wants something, she will come and lay her head on a surface in front of me. Not actually on me but in front of me. Its then my turn to say "what do you want Sammie?" She will then do any number of things....trot to the front door if its time for a walk, to the back door if she needs to potty, to the water dish if it needs to be refilled or off to the bedroom if she thinks its time for me to go to bed. Maybe its because she has those long floppy hound ears but it is sooo cute!
Attached Thumbnails
Your dog's eccentric rituals-request-hound.jpg  

Old 06-30-2011, 09:50 PM

5,094 posts, read 12,588,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by latetotheparty View Post
i think dave can tell time..... he HATES, LOATHES AND DESPISES his harnes.... or ANYthing on his body.... when i get up in the mornings, i drink coffee, read email, take bailey out, etc. for a while....... dave takes up his position on the sofa in the family room.... as it starts getting to be about 5:50 - 6 AM, he will slip out the sliding door to the deck and back yard in an attempt to avoid me.... he knows i will be getting changed soon to take him out for his walk.... if i take bailey out again in this 10 minute time frame, he will go back to my bedroom and lie on the bed while she and i are out.... as i bring her back in the front door, he flies off the bed, down the hall and out the back door like he has been shot out of a cannon .... i have had to chase him down in the back yard to get him harnessed....

rinse and repeat in the evenings.... i usually take them out for a short walk at around 9:30 or 10 or so .... he is doing the avoid-momma-by-hiding-on-the-deck maneuver by 9 or 9:15 AT THE LATEST.....

i don't get AT ALL why he is like this.... every single time the harness goes on, he gets to go do something fun..... the first winter i had him, i got a t-shirt to put on him because i was worried about him being cold... he was so thin then.... he acted like i had just beaten him and sent him to the corner.......

take it OFF, momma.... i don't LIKE it!!

Dave I think you look very handsome in that T-shirt!

Old 06-30-2011, 09:53 PM

5,094 posts, read 12,588,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foxywench View Post
lol, ive got a frined whos border collie makes the rounds all night making sure everyone is in their rooms...lord help them if they need to elave the room to go to the bathroom, he wont let them out unless the mother is there and says they can leave their rooms.

makes me giggle every time.
Your story makes me laugh as the dog we had when I was a teenager use to do this and I would get busted because of it as Somenights I would sneek out the bedroom window to go meet friends ( teenagers) and he would alert my mom that one of his kids was missing.

Old 06-30-2011, 10:27 PM

782 posts, read 1,109,101 times
I have am surrounded by men..I have 3 male dogs and one female..my males all love me and they "guard" me when I sleep. They literally surround me on the bed..Thank goodness for queensize beds...anyway my daughter was visiting and got up early to go out..she stopped by my room and since she was up she called out to the dogs to let them out to have a go...no one budged off the bed...until I woke up..when I get up they all have to go outside.
Bob, my Alpha male, will lead the other dogs outside then turn right around and come back inside. Michael and Mary are twins...they think I'm their Mum...they lick my hand to wake me up...Bebe is the smallest dog I have he and Mary lay on the bed like an old Married couple...with their heads on the same pillow. Mary likes to watch Tv...all of my dogs are over their chewing stage...but Bob just can't resist the covers to VHS movies...I keep them in a box under my bed...and yes I still watch them..lol I have to make sure the lid is on real tight or he will dig into it and eat all covers!!! When they did chew they rarely ate shoes per se..but flip flops..had to put them up high or they were gone... they also loved to eat my glasses and my cell phones...I have lost 3 pair of glasses and 5 cell phones to my dogs.

Old 07-01-2011, 01:25 AM

5,381 posts, read 8,688,440 times
One of my dog’s, a husky, will get after me if I don’t feed him at 5:00 PM. The other one, a shepherd mix, is flexible. In fact, she hates to hear him complain and will fuss at him if he’s too whiny. He’ll stop for a while, and then will start-up again , but stop once more after she “tells him” to shut-up.

Even though, it’s not a ritual, my shepherd mix will gently hit me if she’s annoyed. Sometimes, she just does it to be playful.

Old 07-01-2011, 02:14 AM

6,712 posts, read 13,460,010 times
JC, my Blue Heeler/Australian Cattle Dog, used to have quite a few but the older he's gotten, the less he seems to have them. I think the funniest thing he does is growl at us if he's tired. It's not a vicious growl but more of a "Hey, I'm trying to sleep here!" kind of growl. It's especially funny if me and my wife are in bed and one of us is tossing and turning. He'll growl and then my wife and I start laughing which makes him angrier and he'll get up and walk out the door into the next room. But, of course, he'll stop at the door give a parting "growl" and then leave.

Ginger, our Lab/Rott mix, is completely different. She uses her thick skull for everything. When it's time for me to wake up (I work night shift), she'll walk over to the bed, find a dangling arm or leg, and start pushing it up with her head and letting my limb fall. She'll do that until I respond. If I respond and stay in bed, she'll be back five or ten minutes later to let me know I've overslept.

Another thing Ginger will do is so disgusting but so funny. She'll literally walk into the room we're sitting in, back up to us so her rearend is pointing right at me, she'll fart, and then she'll run away as fast as she can. It is the funniest thing I've ever seen but, GEEZ!, those doggie farts stink!

Snowflake, our White German Shepherd foster and possible new addition to the family, is starting to develop a few quirks. If I rub her belly and stop she begins to paw at me and won't quit until my hand goes back to the belly. She'll even follow me around the house pawing at me until I go back to rubbing her belly.

Dogs are great and it always amazes me how distinctly different each of their personalities, quirks, and actions can be.

Old 07-01-2011, 05:39 AM

13,768 posts, read 38,197,572 times
Funny Stories.. and I thought I was the only one with weird dogs. LOL

Harley the giant JRT has to have his 'baby' (stuffed toy) when he goes to bed. He sucks on the nose. He will take it outside before we go to bed and then I have to tell him to go get it otherwise he will whine and walk all around looking for it.

Willie my Yorkie grabs hold of my pants leg when I am in the kitchen. He will follow me all around the kitchen holding on to my pants leg. Many of my pants have little holes in them.

Lil Bits (RIP) use to cover his poop if he had an accident in the garage or the house. One time I found a leaf placed over it another time I found paper. My DH walked him every day and would tell him 'go poop' if he hadn't done anything on his walk.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs