U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2011, 10:19 PM
ZSP

1,568 posts, read 4,181,059 times

Advertisements

We've seen tarantulas, scorpions and rattlesnakes in our back yard and yes, I'm scared of them all. Wish I could say the same for my dogs. During the hottest part of the year, we always go out and case the yard and surrounding areas before letting them out and one of us is always with them too.

This is another good reason why we won't have a doggy door.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2011, 07:28 AM

10,091 posts, read 36,904,405 times
LOL...D, you crack me up. To the OP...ever figure out what kind of Tarantula? There are about 14-15 different kinds in Texas, and none of them are deadly. But they do bite. Most are not aggressive and are going to run from you.
We had a Rose Haired Tarantula for yrs...a "pet" for the kids. Easiest, cleanest, pet we've ever owned. Kids would pick up Morticia or "Tish" as we called her and she never even attempted to bite. Quite the party topic! Super interesting to watch her molt...and yes, we know she was a "she", as only females web.
A tarantula on your patio...going to keep the crickets and roaches at bay!

Old 07-04-2011, 10:12 AM

753 posts, read 2,223,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianH View Post
If I had a tarantula at my door like that I would probably burn the house down to get rid of it!

LMAO me too! I'm getting the heebeegeebeez just thinking about seeing a tarantula.

Old 07-04-2011, 10:45 AM

135 posts, read 318,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShelbyGirl1 View Post
LOL...D, you crack me up. To the OP...ever figure out what kind of Tarantula? There are about 14-15 different kinds in Texas, and none of them are deadly. But they do bite. Most are not aggressive and are going to run from you.
We had a Rose Haired Tarantula for yrs...a "pet" for the kids. Easiest, cleanest, pet we've ever owned. Kids would pick up Morticia or "Tish" as we called her and she never even attempted to bite. Quite the party topic! Super interesting to watch her molt...and yes, we know she was a "she", as only females web.

Never did figure out what it was. It was dark with just the patio light and I didn't really want to get close enough to read his drivers license . When we first moved here, I would make my hubby pull over to the side of the road every time we saw one crossing, just so I could get out to look closer. Then he told me they can jump! Thanks DH!

When I saw this one, I think I was more concerned for the spiders safety....and my stomach if I had to clean up a 16 lb squished spider. When he ran up the wall, I was waiting for a battle between him and my Mediterranean Geckos that come out every night to feed on moths.

By the way Dawn....you're welcome to visit any time

Old 07-04-2011, 11:09 AM

10,091 posts, read 36,904,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by troyers View Post
Never did figure out what it was. It was dark with just the patio light and I didn't really want to get close enough to read his drivers license . When we first moved here, I would make my hubby pull over to the side of the road every time we saw one crossing, just so I could get out to look closer. Then he told me they can jump! Thanks DH!

When I saw this one, I think I was more concerned for the spiders safety....and my stomach if I had to clean up a 16 lb squished spider. When he ran up the wall, I was waiting for a battle between him and my Mediterranean Geckos that come out every night to feed on moths.

We use to see them all the time in Ca. Freaked me out to see them fall from a tree that I had just been sitting under! Where is Andrews? I'm down on the Coast, so no Tarantulas around these immediate parts.

Old 07-04-2011, 11:32 AM

16,693 posts, read 26,786,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShelbyGirl1 View Post
This entire post is NOT FUNNY!!!! I'm itchy again.

Quote:

I imagine that when it snows there, the tarantulas go into some sort of hibernation, right? I'll come visit then.

Old 07-04-2011, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DandJ View Post
This entire post is NOT FUNNY!!!! I'm itchy again.

I imagine that when it snows there, the tarantulas go into some sort of hibernation, right? I'll come visit then.

Snow? Whats that? haha!

Andrews is about 45 minutes from the Midland Odessa area. Population 10000 people and 100000 oil wells.

Old 07-04-2011, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Snow? Whats that? haha!

Andrews is about 45 minutes from the Midland Odessa area. Population 10000 people and 100000 oil wells.
Alright, then! YOU are welcome to visit ME any time! It doesn't matter where I live -- or will live -- there will be no tarantulas. Promise.

Old 07-04-2011, 04:48 PM

What the HELLmann's mayonnaise?!?!?!

I somehow suspect that the ad will be flagged any second now, so I'll post the content of what I saw just now on our local Craigslist:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Free: tarantula (Central CT)

Date: 2011-07-04, 6:01PM EDT
Reply to: comm-7tkx2-2477065067@craigslist.org [SIZE=1][[/SIZE][SIZE=1]Errors when replying to ads?[/SIZE][SIZE=1]][/SIZE]

Please take 20 year old arachnid off my hands asap.
  • it's NOT ok to contact this poster with services or other commercial interests
PostingID: 2477065067
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

AAARRRGGGGHHHHH!!!!

Old 07-04-2011, 05:31 PM

Want me to call for you??? At that age I'm sure he won't crawl too quickly!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or