U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2011, 05:35 PM

16,648 posts, read 26,620,346 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by troyers View Post
Want me to call for you??? At that age I'm sure he won't crawl too quickly!
BAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!! (Itchy again...!)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2011, 05:53 AM

909 posts, read 2,939,114 times
This thread is cracking me up! OP, glad there wasn't a hairtangle between the spider and your dogs. But they are pretty harmless and are probably doing you a great service keeping other little critters at bay.

I am pretty arachniphobic, but I try to keep things in perspective so I don't pass on this irrationality to my kids. I save my hysteria for when they are in bed

Old 07-05-2011, 07:02 AM

10,091 posts, read 36,761,761 times
Quote:
Want me to call for you??? At that age I'm sure he won't crawl too quickly!
They live (avoiding the bug spray, ((lysol works great)), fly swatters and shoes....to be over 50! This was our problem with "Tish". Kids had her all through their elementary and high school...then we were being transferred again. This time the kids were off to college and I pretty much refused to make one more move with her traveling in a seatbelt (cage) across country and the kids weren't even around! So, our vet found a nice elementary school boy who was interested and off she went to live with him. Last I heard...about a yr ago...she was still going strong. It would make her around 20 as well.

Old 07-05-2011, 07:36 AM

6,441 posts, read 4,417,356 times
Quote:

I have to admit, I watched where I stepped the rest of the night, even though I was inside! They're kind of creepy, especially when you make them mad and they hunch back on the back legs like they're going to jump at you! LOL
That's the way those little fat spiders with short legs behave. I don't recall what the name is but they are black and white and safe (not very big) and very much a "house" spider in Texas. I don't use bug spray or any of the poisons and I made the effort not to freak out about a spider in the house. It's supposed to be okay with certain ones, right? So in Dallas I had a plan. I told them that if they stayed off of things while I was there, I would leave them alone. If not, dead spider. It usually worked. I'm back in Florida but I don't recall the details of any of the creepy critters so I'll try not to freak out and instead check them out when I see something. I don't know what I would do with a tarantula .... except run! My cats would be slapping at it like crazy .... gawdamighty!

Old 07-05-2011, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShelbyGirl1 View Post
They live (avoiding the bug spray, ((lysol works great)), fly swatters and shoes....to be over 50! This was our problem with "Tish". Kids had her all through their elementary and high school...then we were being transferred again. This time the kids were off to college and I pretty much refused to make one more move with her traveling in a seatbelt (cage) across country and the kids weren't even around! So, our vet found a nice elementary school boy who was interested and off she went to live with him. Last I heard...about a yr ago...she was still going strong. It would make her around 20 as well.
I thought that the fact that they live past 50 would freak me out the most, but no... The fact that you brought Tish with you on one of your house moves takes the cake, lady!

Old 07-05-2011, 08:12 AM

2,276 posts, read 3,064,775 times
You haven't lived until a huge Wolf Spider jumps on you (from a good distance) and runs up your leg...OMG! Happened when I was in my teens. Still gives me the willies to recall it.

As long as spiders aren't in my house, I'm all live and let live and will relocate those inconveniently trying to hang around the doorways. That's my deal with crawly critters. Over the threshold and the nice lady has a fly swatter. (Except bees, I catch and release or shoo bees out the door.)

No, I vastly prefer our deadly creatures that come with fur, four legs and weigh several hundred pounds or more.

Old 07-05-2011, 08:18 AM

135 posts, read 315,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DandJ View Post
What the HELLmann's mayonnaise?!?!?!

I somehow suspect that the ad will be flagged any second now, so I'll post the content of what I saw just now on our local Craigslist:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Free: tarantula (Central CT)

Date: 2011-07-04, 6:01PM EDT
Reply to: comm-7tkx2-2477065067@craigslist.org [SIZE=1][[/SIZE][SIZE=1]Errors when replying to ads?[/SIZE][SIZE=1]][/SIZE]

Please take 20 year old arachnid off my hands asap.
  • it's NOT ok to contact this poster with services or other commercial interests
PostingID: 2477065067
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

AAARRRGGGGHHHHH!!!!

I have the solution to all your spider fears Dawn!!!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Baby Ball Pythons (Odessa)

Date: 2011-07-03, 7:21PM CDT
Reply to: comm-3nndg-2475957133@craigslist.org [SIZE=1][[/SIZE][SIZE=1]Errors when replying to ads?[/SIZE][SIZE=1]][/SIZE]

Baby ball pythons.
Eating mouse pinkies.
rehoming 50.
Just snake no cage.
  • it's NOT ok to contact this poster with services or other commercial interests
PostingID: 2475957133----------------------------------------------------------------------

Old 07-05-2011, 08:23 AM

Quote:
I have the solution to all your spider fears Dawn!!!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Baby Ball Pythons (Odessa)

Date: 2011-07-03, 7:21PM CDT
Reply to: comm-3nndg-2475957133@craigslist.org [SIZE=1][[/SIZE][SIZE=1]Errors when replying to ads?[/SIZE][SIZE=1]][/SIZE]

Baby ball pythons.
Eating mouse pinkies.
rehoming 50.
Just snake no cage.
PostingID: 2475957133----------------------------------------------------------------------

Oh, sweet Jesus, don't even get me started on snakes. I've only seen a few in my lifetime -- most of those were squished dead on the road, thank God -- and they FREAK ME OUT!!! I don't think they make me itchy like the thought of spiders do, though. And I don't want to test the theory, thankyouverymuch.

{shivers}

Old 07-05-2011, 08:52 AM

6,441 posts, read 4,417,356 times
A modifier may drift by and delete all these posts but we are talking about DOGS and spiders! In the meantime, I can't find a pic of the little short-legged fatty jumper that lived with me in Texas. But that did remind me I took a pic of a spider with an incredible web. Isn't this amazing? It's an argiope and showed up in my patio garden in Texas, created two of these amazing webs and disappeared. I looked it up and it has quite a following ... like the tarantula!

Old 07-05-2011, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitty_FL View Post
A modifier may drift by and delete all these posts but we are talking about DOGS and spiders! In the meantime, I can't find a pic of the little short-legged fatty jumper that lived with me in Texas. But that did remind me I took a pic of a spider with an incredible web. Isn't this amazing? It's an argiope and showed up in my patio garden in Texas, created two of these amazing webs and disappeared. I looked it up and it has quite a following ... like the tarantula!
WOW! And WHOA!

(Itchy...)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or