U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-05-2011, 09:29 AM
 
Location: California
10,091 posts, read 36,792,731 times
Reputation: 22096

Advertisements



D...Never Ever move to Texas! These guys are all over the place! Creepy!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-05-2011, 09:33 AM
 
Location: Montreal -> CT -> MA -> Montreal -> Ottawa
16,651 posts, read 26,656,601 times
Reputation: 26597
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShelbyGirl1 View Post

D...Never Ever move to Texas! These guys are all over the place! Creepy!
I just died.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-05-2011, 10:47 AM
 
Location: Chicago area
8,768 posts, read 13,236,294 times
Reputation: 15879
That's a yellow garden spider. They are not aggressive and their bite is not dangerous. I'd be more weary of black widows or brown recluse.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-05-2011, 10:51 AM
 
3,592 posts, read 10,655,266 times
Reputation: 5205
Quote:
Originally Posted by DandJ View Post
I just died.
This was mentioned on Facebook and I'm surprised none of our Florida friends here on CD have chimed in on this Florida critter. How would you like to find this hanging off your wall clock?

Huntsman Spider
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-05-2011, 11:12 AM
 
Location: Montreal -> CT -> MA -> Montreal -> Ottawa
16,651 posts, read 26,656,601 times
Reputation: 26597
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchemist80 View Post
That's a yellow garden spider. They are not aggressive and their bite is not dangerous. I'd be more weary of black widows or brown recluse.
Agressive-shmagressive. All spiders give me the heebie-jeebies. They all have 17,000 legs that MOVE FAST.

As far as black widows and brown recluse, just hearing those words make me feel faint... and itchy.

{shivers}

Quote:
Originally Posted by Va-Cat View Post
This was mentioned on Facebook and I'm surprised none of our Florida friends here on CD have chimed in on this Florida critter. How would you like to find this hanging off your wall clock?

Huntsman Spider
No. Thank. You.

(I'm itchy AGAIN!)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-05-2011, 11:26 AM
 
3,592 posts, read 10,655,266 times
Reputation: 5205
Quote:
Originally Posted by DandJ View Post
Agressive-shmagressive. All spiders give me the heebie-jeebies. They all have 17,000 legs that MOVE FAST.

As far as black widows and brown recluse, just hearing those words make me feel faint... and itchy.

{shivers}



No. Thank. You.

(I'm itchy AGAIN!)
LOL - if we keep this up poor Dawn is gonna be drowning in Benadryl
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-05-2011, 11:34 AM
 
Location: California
10,091 posts, read 36,792,731 times
Reputation: 22096
Yup...have seen brown recluse (Hubby got bit by one a few yrs back...landed him in the hospital!) and the black widows as well. Not fun. Safe to say we have stock in RAID! =)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-05-2011, 12:10 PM
 
Location: Santa Barbara CA
4,707 posts, read 10,141,797 times
Reputation: 8530
I am a bit late reading this thread but good thing for Dawn I do not have time to look for my spider phots as I have some cool photos of a garden spider that lived in my mom's garden for several years. She was huge and had beautiful webs and yes it was a she as every year there were eggs sacks and hundreds of babys.

I do not mind spiders even Trantuas as we do have them here. I will move spiders outside rather then kill them and sorry Dawn I am sort of called spider lady as when I go up North to the Bay area in Oct to help my friend get ready for her big halloween party one of my jobs is to do the spider webs and I am good at it..maybe I am part spider???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-05-2011, 12:52 PM
 
Location: Montreal -> CT -> MA -> Montreal -> Ottawa
16,651 posts, read 26,656,601 times
Reputation: 26597
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dashdog View Post
I am a bit late reading this thread but good thing for Dawn I do not have time to look for my spider phots as I have some cool photos of a garden spider that lived in my mom's garden for several years. She was huge and had beautiful webs and yes it was a she as every year there were eggs sacks and hundreds of babys.

I do not mind spiders even Trantuas as we do have them here. I will move spiders outside rather then kill them and sorry Dawn I am sort of called spider lady as when I go up North to the Bay area in Oct to help my friend get ready for her big halloween party one of my jobs is to do the spider webs and I am good at it..maybe I am part spider???
!!!!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-05-2011, 01:00 PM
 
Location: Massachusetts
4,034 posts, read 8,572,866 times
Reputation: 4907
Quote:
Originally Posted by Va-Cat View Post
This was mentioned on Facebook and I'm surprised none of our Florida friends here on CD have chimed in on this Florida critter. How would you like to find this hanging off your wall clock?

Huntsman Spider
Honestly, those of us in FL are more concerned with alligators, sandhill cranes and pythons. And, oh yeah, other humans.

We used to have huntsman spiders in our house all of the time growing up; we called them "housekeepers." No one ever had a problem with them. Their bite is poisonous but rarely fatal (unless you happen to have an allergy). I would never feel ill-at-ease if I saw one, probably b/c I wasn't raised that way. I will never understand people who are afraid of and/or kill creatures b/c they don't like the way that they look.

Last edited by StarlaJane; 07-05-2011 at 01:08 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:36 PM.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top