U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2011, 10:08 AM

135 posts, read 318,105 times

Advertisements

So, I went out on my back patio last night to let the dogs run, and in the corner was an unhappy tarantula...one of the perks of living in West Texas. I had dodged them on the road plenty of times but this is the first time I've seen one at my house! Anyway, I hustled the furballs back inside so I could move the spider to the back alley, but he had other ideas. Instead he ran up the wall out of reach. I was afraid to knock him down with the broom because they're so delicate (gag) so he won the battle and got to stay on the wall while the dogs and I cowered inside for the rest of the night. Question is....if one of the dogs were to tangle with a tarantula, how bad would it be (for the dogs). I sidestepped the issue this time, but in the future I may not be as lucky.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2011, 11:04 AM

4,033 posts, read 8,598,312 times
I'm really not sure. Your best bet would be to call a local vet's office; that way, you can not only find out how poisonous they are, but also recommendations for avoiding a run-in as well as treatments in the event of one. They may even be able to tell you about species that are specific to Texas (according to Wiki, it is most likely a "Texas Brown," whose bites are "generally not a serious harm to humans"; it also says that they are quite gentle and docile (: However, you are right to be concerned regarding how toxic they are to your dog.)

And bless you for your tolerance towards the critter! They really are lovely but all-too-often villified b/c they are poisonous and/or "scary" looking. As with many poisonous or deadly creatures, successful cohabitation is possible if humans educate themselves and take precautions; that is, after all, why we have that ability for "superior reasoning."

Old 07-02-2011, 11:13 AM

I'm so softhearted I don't kill flies in the house....I make my hubby be the murderer!

The town I live in has rattlesnake catchers. We found a baby behind the house and all we did is call the catcher and he came to get it to release. I don't think we have spider catchers though! LOL

I love the wildlife here. Its so different from what I had in Alabama. I have mediterranian geckos that hang out on the patio wall at night, roadrunners, coyotes, etc. There's no reason we can't live together with them as long as we respect their natures.

Old 07-02-2011, 11:54 AM

57 posts, read 277,599 times
I looked it up and this is what I found:

Yes a dog will react to the bite of a spider including a tarantula.
How badly it will impact the dog depends on the size and health of the dog.
Its more like a bee sting in terms of how bad it is according to many sources.
Some dogs can die from a bee sting and others recover with hardly any problems. So I'd suspect it would be the same with a tarantula.
A dog could easily injure or kill this sort of spider so keeping them apart is your best bet.
Hope this helps you!

I think it would also depend on the type of tarantula too.

Old 07-02-2011, 03:57 PM

12,440 posts, read 31,516,760 times
I would thing Dog Sence would kick in & they stay away from them! I am sure even tho You had not seen them close to home your dogs have!

Old 07-02-2011, 05:21 PM

16,672 posts, read 26,757,695 times
Are you kidding me??? Are you flippin' kidding me??? There was a tarantula on your patio???

I'd have died where I stood. Seriously. That sucker wouldn't have even had to come near me -- I'd just have to SEE it, and I'd die on the spot.

{shivers} and feels itchy all over now

Old 07-02-2011, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DandJ View Post
Are you kidding me??? Are you flippin' kidding me??? There was a tarantula on your patio???

I'd have died where I stood. Seriously. That sucker wouldn't have even had to come near me -- I'd just have to SEE it, and I'd die on the spot.

{shivers} and feels itchy all over now

I have to admit, I watched where I stepped the rest of the night, even though I was inside! They're kind of creepy, especially when you make them mad and they hunch back on the back legs like they're going to jump at you! LOL

Old 07-02-2011, 05:29 PM

16,672 posts, read 26,757,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by troyers View Post

I have to admit, I watched where I stepped the rest of the night, even though I was inside! They're kind of creepy, especially when you make them mad and they hunch back on the back legs like they're going to jump at you! LOL
They hunch back like they're going to jump on you??? SHUT UP!!!

I'm dying...

I love how you say that they're "kind of" creepy. Yeah, "kind of." Whatever! LOL!!!

You're a MUCH braver person than I am. Seriously, it would have been the end of me. I'm glad that you're OK.

Old 07-02-2011, 07:38 PM

7,551 posts, read 16,391,198 times
If I had a tarantula at my door like that I would probably burn the house down to get rid of it!

Old 07-02-2011, 08:27 PM

4,033 posts, read 8,598,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by troyers View Post

Aww, I think it's cute. I would love to see a tarantula stand up on it's hind legs; people certainly think it's cute when a poodle does it, why should a tarantula be any different?

Really, I do not understand why people are afraid of something that is 1/20th their size (and not even that poisonous); it's sort of the same phenomenon as when someone tells me that they are afraid of "Chucky" from Child's Play. Seriously, humans really have a huge advantage through sheer size alone (not to mention the ability to pick up a broom or a can of insecticide). Honestly, the tarantula has more reason to be afraid of a human and, especially, a dog than we do to be afraid of it.

And just to put things in perspective: I live in Florida and we have ALLIGATORS. After you get used to those critters, a little barely-poisonous tarantula is nothing. Moreover, I am originally from CT. where packs of coyotes roam at-large and are a way bigger threat than a spider or, even, a rattlesnake; no doctor can bring you back from an attack from an alligator or coyot'. In fact, they'd be hard-pressed to find your body.

Again, bless you for your tolerance! In the grand scheme of things, there is no reason for you to be very fearful of such a little guy (although I would still call the vet's office to find out more about him!)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or