U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2011, 07:13 AM

449 posts, read 1,474,227 times

Advertisements

I suspect our dog might have worms. I took her out this morning, she usually will poo in 4 or 5 places. The first time had a lot of white rice looking, only longer (say 2 rice grains long). But the other 3 times, nothing like that. She also keep licking her butt like she's itchy. Her food does have brown rice only this was longer and I don't think it would clump together and only be in the first pile.

Question is, its a long weekend now. If I see that again and put a stool sample in the fridge will it be good for testing at the vet? I don't know if the cold might kill off anything that the vet will need to diagnose her.

Seems normal in all other ways. Though she did really hate it when I when I was washing her butt during her a bath - as in she tore out of the tub, over the covered kitty liter box and out the door. She's 12 or so and walks slow so this kind of speed is NOT typical
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2011, 07:39 AM

3,593 posts, read 10,642,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by midwestmom View Post
I suspect our dog might have worms. I took her out this morning, she usually will poo in 4 or 5 places. The first time had a lot of white rice looking, only longer (say 2 rice grains long). But the other 3 times, nothing like that. She also keep licking her butt like she's itchy. Her food does have brown rice only this was longer and I don't think it would clump together and only be in the first pile.

Question is, its a long weekend now. If I see that again and put a stool sample in the fridge will it be good for testing at the vet? I don't know if the cold might kill off anything that the vet will need to diagnose her.

Seems normal in all other ways. Though she did really hate it when I when I was washing her butt during her a bath - as in she tore out of the tub, over the covered kitty liter box and out the door. She's 12 or so and walks slow so this kind of speed is NOT typical
certainly not the grossest question we have ever had on here! Personally, I wouldn't "store" a stool sample in my fridge. There is a little thing called "e-coli" to consider. It would be better to take a "fresh" sample on on the day of the appt. If your dog does have worms, it should still show. If you want to keep the sample that has the issue you are concerned about to show them, I would wrap it up tightly and freeze it. Is it possible that your dog chewed a plastic toy or other item that could now be coming through her system? Plastic comes through a lot of times as little pieces that could look like worms. If she is licking a lot, something is bothering her back there. Do you see anything that doesn't look right?? If you see a lot of swelling, blood or especially if you see something that looks like a little red balloon or finger protruding out of her anus. Get her to a vet as soon as possible! If the answer is no to the above questions, then I would just watch her for the weekend. Definately get her to the vet next week but I'm not hearing anything that says "emergency vet" to me if the only symptom is stuff in her stool and some licking! Oh - and if the vet does say that she has worms and if you have any other dogs - get worming medicine for then as well. Usually if one has worms they all do! Good luck!

Old 07-03-2011, 08:10 AM

6,591 posts, read 20,703,190 times
long rice grains and an itchy butt scream tapeworm.
i agree, i wouldnt store it, take a close up picture of the "rice grains' but otherwise only take a fresh sample to the vet...

a couple of days isnt going to be life threatening with tape so it could wait untill tuesday..but tape is highly contaeous to other dogs so be sure to ppick up imediatly and spray the spot with a bleach/water solution (10% bleach)

Praziquantel is the most commonly used treatment for tape worm, but over the counter meds are typically NOT effective so i wouldnt waste your money. just call first thing tuesday morning, tell them your seeing what you belive is tapeworm segments in her stool and you need a vet check asap for an effective wormer.
you will probably want to de-worm any other cats/dogs in the house as a precaution, tape is fairly prolific and can be dangerous if left untreated (dog can become overloaded)

while there for deworming get her a heartworm test too then as long as it comes up clear get her on a monthly heartorm preventative like heartguard, these heartworm preventatives also prevent intestinal parasites

Old 07-03-2011, 08:14 AM

24,843 posts, read 32,294,958 times
Another reason I love using Revolution on our dogs.

No worms.

Last edited by Driller1; 07-03-2011 at 09:03 AM..

Old 07-03-2011, 08:49 AM

9,352 posts, read 16,768,849 times
agreed ... sounds like tapeworm....

and DOUBLE agreed.... do NOT waste money on over the counter remedies..... they cost about the same as the vet prescribed remedy (which is really not very much) and do NOT work......

Old 07-03-2011, 10:05 AM

2,502 posts, read 3,131,176 times
LOL! Yet another dog poo thread! LOL! But seriously, I would consult your vet.

Old 07-03-2011, 06:15 PM

Thank you all for the info and advice. I almost didn't even ask because I thought you'd see something looking more like worms but I really wasn't sure. Now, I'll be getting her to the vet Tuesday and not trying out the store med's that don't work - appreciate that info. Will request heartworm test too - hadn't thought of getting that done, thanks for the reminder.

I didn't see anything different poking out so it looks like it can wait.

I'll need to get meds for our cat too, I'll find out if I need to bring in a sample for her too.

Funny, how with kids and animals, something questionnable almost always comes up outside business hours.

Old 07-03-2011, 06:51 PM

6,591 posts, read 20,703,190 times
some vets will require a sample form the other pets, other vets will just treat all the animals in the house automatically, though dogs are more likley to get tape from cats than the other way around, so if your cat didnt have it first theres a lower likleyhood of him having them now, but even still i personally prefer to be safe.

Old 07-04-2011, 07:17 AM

I agree its better to be sure by having them both treated.

I wonder if that could be why our cat is constantly hungry?

Old 07-08-2011, 06:09 PM

445 posts, read 1,385,049 times
Where is Dawn ??? She usually has the poop on poop .....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or