U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 07-05-2011, 12:03 PM

128 posts, read 270,451 times

Advertisements

My grandmother just recently adopted a chihuahua. She is less than a year, and I am guessing she weighs less than 5 pounds. Really small and totally a lovebug. I'm trying to help her choose a food for the pup, but I don't know if there are any special considerations that need to be taken into account for a dog this small and of this breed.

I have always owned medium or large-sized dogs.

Any advice would be appreciated!
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2011, 01:17 PM

8,230 posts, read 17,169,496 times
I got a Papillion a month ago! I two would be interested in an answerer to this!

Awww Happy for your GMa!!

Old 07-05-2011, 01:27 PM

6,152 posts, read 9,327,824 times
as a famiy with 3 chihuahuas one of which is under 3lbs ill say this...they need the exact same nutrition as any other dog of any other size...

my chihuahuas have NO problems eating normal sized kibble and eat kirkland chicken and rice.

chihauhaus tend to be very sensitive to corn and beet (beet causes eye staining)
so like wiht all dog foods look for a food where th first ingredient is meat of some kind (meat meal is fine but byproduct is NOT) and that has no corn in it...avoid soy and beet too.
a smaller kibble size might be better recived, it tends to be personal choice but they can handle normal kibble size...

my biggest suggestion with chihuahuas and any toy breeds/dogs under 5lbs, is they are highly prone to hypoglycemia so feed little and often (we free feed ours).

and remember chichuhaus tend ot become picky eaters if spoilt so do NOT spoil the lil one, there cute and tend to get away with too much lol, but tablescraps will realy set them back ect...
if you have a picky eater a good quality wet food (again meat as the first ingredient and no corn or soy) is a good option for suplimentation.

i like kirkland from costco because its good quality at an affordable price, but canidea, blue buffallo, chicken soup for the dog lovers soul.

you might also want to look into feeding pre made raw.
raw feeding can be a little expensive for large dogs but toy breeds eat so little it worksout about the same as a high quality kibble/canned food.

Old 07-05-2011, 01:27 PM

1,030 posts, read 1,635,731 times
We have a Chihuahua mix. We recently switched his food over to Blue Buffalo, for small breeds. This seems to be much healthier, and he is much more active than he was with his old food, Beneful. Blue Buffalo is a few dollars more expensive per bag, but in my opinion, it is definitely worth it.

Old 07-05-2011, 02:27 PM

566 posts, read 1,320,514 times
I have a Papillon/Chihuahua mix and he is now on Orijen and does fine, but it will take you some time to find what food works for your dog. I highly advise to stay away from buying food at 'big box stores' like PetSmart and PetCo because the brands they carry are usually heavy on bad ingredients (I should say non-beneficial ingredients) which is why that bag of food is cheap.

Before Orijen, my dog was on Evo which was too high in protein for him, and before that he was on Eukanuba for a long time (did fine... but that was before I wanted him on better food).

Old 07-05-2011, 08:39 PM

So what you folks are saying is HiProtien best? IF so How High??

Old 07-06-2011, 08:59 AM

6,152 posts, read 9,327,824 times
not nessicarily "high protein" but high QUALITY. a 28%-45% protein is a good number to aim for.

corn is a cheap filler that 1: cannot be fully digested (who here hasnt eaten corn and seen the outcome) and 2: is one of the biggest food allergens in dogs!
Soy has way too many health issues attatched to it for me to even condier giving it to my animals, even the chickens dont get soy products...

RAW is best but often "too much" (work or cost) for most.
then grain free is next on the list of "best foods" grain free can be expensive and some dogs find it too rich for their systems...
next on the list are the premium and super premimum foods, these foods have MEAT as the first ingredient...being dogs are carnivores (not obligate, but they ARE carnivores) the first ingrediend in their food should be meat...i mean what else would you feed a canivore?!
if the food has grains the grains should be RICE or Barley...(not brewers rice which is actually not rice at all but the hulls off the rice)

Dog Food Reviews - Dry Dog Foods - Powered by ReviewPost
is a wonderfull site, the more stars the better the food and you can read WHY they rated it that way too...

the only real consideration for chihuahuas is that sometimes they prefer a smaller kibble size, and they need to be fed small meals more frequently, an adult GSD may eat twice a day...an adult chichuahua should eat at least 3 times (more if they are prone to hypoglycemia)
and that beet pulp tends to cause tear staining.

they dont need more or less protein than any other dog, same goes for fat, ect...those things should be based on the individual dog NOT the breed...

Old 07-06-2011, 05:28 PM
Status: "so confused at my state of confusion" (set 10 days ago)

8,064 posts, read 8,291,710 times
I have two chihuahuas . I cook for them . I cook boiled chicken breast and brown rice . They will never eat dog food ever again as that is what killed so many pets and I just dont trust any dog kibble or canned food . No dog food period . My vet says my dogs are healthy and happy and that is all that matters .

Old 07-06-2011, 05:56 PM

I mostly cook for my dogs.. But the Pap is still a puppy So Dog Food would make sure she getting the vits & minerals she needs to grow right! At about 2 yrs she'll just have to put up with my cooking all together LOL They get Boiled Chicken Breast/ 97% Real Beef patties/ Pork Chops Lean! I just want to make sure its Great Qulity Dog Food!

Last edited by Katie1; 07-06-2011 at 06:05 PM..

Old 07-07-2011, 09:46 AM

128 posts, read 270,451 times
Thank you for the replies!

Cooking and or/raw are not options, as it would be too much of a burden on my grandmother.

I think I am going to recommend she try the Wellness Super5 Mix for small breeds. I do not want something with very high protein, as my personal experiences with high-protein foods have not been entirely positive.

Also, it's available at Petco, which is where my parents buy their dog's food (TOTW), and they would be picking it up for her.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs