U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2011, 03:14 PM

572 posts, read 1,107,271 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Let 'em sue you, then. Sounds like it would be cheaper. And you did try to do the right thing (frankly, if everything you say is true, I am impressed by your willingness to own the mistake and make reparations). Most people these days are always trying to get out of messes without taking responsibility for them.
It is true. We feel horribly, and are trying to do the right thing, but I feel like they are taking advantage of us doing the right thing... It's kinda greedy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2011, 03:15 PM

6,591 posts, read 20,707,191 times
if they told you the value of the goat was $200 tell them youll offer them value plus (whatever you choose) for suffering and disposal and if they dont want it youll see them in court, they will have to prove to goat was worth more...and you could end up paying more or less plus legal fees if there are any ect...
thats completly up to you...

but again...
your lucky he didnt just shoot your dog...

finating goats are MEAT goats
goat meat currently markets anything from $6.50-$15 per lb processed weight.
depending on cut, and if its organically raised or not...lets assume $8 per lb which is the norm for normal grade ground goat meat.

the average fainter is anything from 50-125lbs
im told fainters process out at a high meat ratio (i was looking into them for meat production in the future) with an average buck bringing in about 60-80lbs of meat at processing.
so at the low end of the normal range at the low end of the normal perlb price thats $480 worth of meat...

GOOD breeding stock can fetch almost double that...with adult females and good stud bucks worth up to $800 as breeding stock.

Last edited by foxywench; 07-06-2011 at 03:29 PM..

Old 07-06-2011, 03:18 PM

572 posts, read 1,107,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarlaJane View Post
Jojo, in all honesty, you are just lucky that you didn't go to court. Yes, $600 is steep; the neighbor may have demanded the large amount to take advantage of the situation, but she also may have asked for a much larger amount b/c she was angry. In a court of law, it would be classified as "pain and suffering."

Most farmers don't just look at the monetary value of an animal, even a "farm animal," in much the same way that you wouldn't consider your dog's life to be worth the mere going rate. And even if their own dog had also killed a goat, it's different than someone else's dog doing it.

It sounds more like you are angry with the situation--that it ever happened in the first place--than you are with the farm owner and/or her demands. In these instances, try to look at the positives, such as the fact that you still have your dog (if the incident had been reported, there is a chance that your dog would have been classified as dangerous and, then, euthanized) and you did not go to court (the farm owner might have gotten a lot more $$ from you if the issue had gone to court, not to mention that it would have made your life hell and damaged your rep as a property owner).

Seriously, it could have been a lot worse. And, yes, it also could have been a lot better. You wound up somewhere in the middle. Count your blessings that you only lost money, chalk it up to an experience to learn from (which you are already doing, kudos!) and move past it.
I talked to animal control, and I was told that we would have to pay for replacement cost, court costs, and that there was no pain and suffering for the loss of an animal considered livestock (whether or not it was livestock, it's legally livestock). She basically said that this is typical of this particular farmer, that they have done this in the past-- they had an incident with another husky who killed most of their herd, and the guy was forced to pay for just replacement value and court costs.

Old 07-06-2011, 03:27 PM

4,919 posts, read 19,786,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojo61397 View Post
I talked to animal control, and I was told that we would have to pay for replacement cost, court costs, and that there was no pain and suffering for the loss of an animal considered livestock (whether or not it was livestock, it's legally livestock). She basically said that this is typical of this particular farmer, that they have done this in the past-- they had an incident with another husky who killed most of their herd, and the guy was forced to pay for just replacement value and court costs.
I'm basing this on where you live from the other post about the moving company, so, A/C is wrong. In that stte a person can make a claim for "fair value replacement cost" not just replacement cost. That means if they can show a judge that the value of that animal was more than just livestock, they get the higher amount. However, your state laws also require that your dog be confiscated if it kills livestock on another person property and the person can petition the court for it to be put down as a vicious animal. Are you willing to gamble on that?

Old 07-06-2011, 03:35 PM

24,843 posts, read 32,298,423 times
Quote:
It is true. We feel horribly, and are trying to do the right thing, but I feel like they are taking advantage of us doing the right thing... It's kinda greedy.
In all honesty I would call my insurance company and let them handle it.

Keep every one's feelings out of it.

Now it is just a liability issue.

Old 07-06-2011, 03:42 PM

4,033 posts, read 8,563,716 times
Quote:
Then take her to court. If you really feel such a strong need for vindication, then go to court.

However, if I were you, I would move past it. It sounds as if the issue has become very personal to you and that you are now seeking vindication of your own side of the matter rather than dealing with it and moving past it. We've all been there, we've all felt anger at injustice, like we've gotten the short end of the stick and unfairly so, but I just don't think that any good can come from pursuing this, especially b/c you will only be doing so for (what appears to me to be, at this point) purely emotional reasons.

Sometimes, it is worth it to pursue, sometimes it is not. In the end, you need to judge for yourself, no one can make that decision for you, I can only tell you what I would do if I found myself in this situation. If it were me, I would let it go and move on with the consolation that I behaved like the bigger person. I have found that justice eventually does find people who are in need of it.

Old 07-06-2011, 03:46 PM

4,585 posts, read 10,812,452 times
I live in farm country and I'm with foxywench on this one. YOUR dog caused the harm and killed livestock, you might "think" it's a hobby farm but running 60 head of goats is NOT a hobby farm, it adds suplimental income and YOUR dog killed a fainting goat. That is a specilized breed, not just any mixed bred goat and on top of that you are not factoring in the future earnings of the goat nor the cost of raising the goat.

You need to pay up and move on. As foxywench said your lucky your dog is still alive, around here a farmer can legally come after you and they ALWAYS WIN when livestock is at stake, you'd be on the hook for court costs, lawyers fees ect. Pay up, move on and feel lucky you aren't being taken to court which could cost you even more than the $600.

Old 07-06-2011, 03:51 PM

3,593 posts, read 10,643,727 times
All feelings on this aside, I would just pay it, consider it a lesson learned and move on. You are moving out of the area and have incorporated measures to insure that it can't happen again.

Did the victim take advantage of you? Maybe or maybe not. You will never know. Just put it behind you.

Old 07-06-2011, 04:26 PM

3,181 posts, read 7,023,768 times
I'm with Va-Cat. I would just pay and walk away. New town, new house, new fence, new start.

Old 07-06-2011, 04:31 PM

9,352 posts, read 16,771,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Va-Cat View Post
All feelings on this aside, I would just pay it, consider it a lesson learned and move on. You are moving out of the area and have incorporated measures to insure that it can't happen again.

Did the victim take advantage of you? Maybe or maybe not. You will never know. Just put it behind you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogmama50 View Post
I'm with Va-Cat. I would just pay and walk away. New town, new house, new fence, new start.

yes and yes......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs