U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2011, 09:16 PM

18,856 posts, read 31,613,526 times

Advertisements

Hmm, what would my child be worth is a killer dog attacked him, in his own yard?

Anyone who does not have their dog under their control at all times, either in the yard, house, or on a leash. If your child let the dog out, why didn't anyone go after the dog? Why isn't the dog trained to come when called?

I have no pity for someone who lets their dog run amok. Randomly killing other people's animals.

Maybe you should not have such a dangerous dog, if you can't be repsonsible for it. Better switch it out for a Chiuahua, that way other people's animals won't be in danger.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2011, 06:36 AM

24,843 posts, read 32,306,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
Hmm, what would my child be worth is a killer dog attacked him, in his own yard?

Anyone who does not have their dog under their control at all times, either in the yard, house, or on a leash. If your child let the dog out, why didn't anyone go after the dog? Why isn't the dog trained to come when called?

I have no pity for someone who lets their dog run amok. Randomly killing other people's animals.

Maybe you should not have such a dangerous dog, if you can't be repsonsible for it. Better switch it out for a Chiuahua, that way other people's animals won't be in danger.
Wow.....laws about humans are different.

How can you compare your child's value to a goat???

Old 07-07-2011, 07:36 AM

8,309 posts, read 34,303,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojo61397 View Post
My dog killed a small farm animal. My child had let her loose, and we didn't realize it until much later. We have since done things a lot differently in our home to prevent her from getting out again. In addition we are moving to another state and will have an in-ground electric fence installed.

In order to prevent a lawsuit or any court issues, because we are moving this weekend, we offered to pay the owner of the farm animal for replacement of the animal. The owner said to look online and see how much a replacement costs. We did. The breed and size of the animal, a replacement ranges in value of $75-200. When the owner called me back, I offered her $400-450- double what the animal is worth. She told me that she would take nothing less than $600, or we would go to court. I wasn't going to argue with her, I just want this whole matter put behind me. I ran a check over, and now I'm thinking wait a minute. If an animal had killed one of my pets, I would not want 3 times the value of the animal. A Siberian Husky costs between $300-400, I would probably want $300-400, plus money to cremate my animal (last time my dog died it was like $80 to cremate and put him in a urn- natural causes).

I just want to know if I'm right to feel like I was taken advantage of because of our situation? What do you think?

Yes, you're right to feel that way.

Old 07-07-2011, 08:23 AM

4,919 posts, read 19,792,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
Wow.....laws about humans are different.

How can you compare your child's value to a goat???

Aaahhh. because if you read City Data Pet Forums you will see thousands of post by hundreds of people who talk about how their pets are family, how they tell their kids the pet is their sister or brother, how they claim if anyone harms their pet it would be like harming their own family, etc. You can't deny that many pet owners (especially on this forum) have humanizes their pets, so what's so shocking about associating a child to a pet.

Old 07-07-2011, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PacificFlights View Post

Aaahhh. because if you read City Data Pet Forums you will see thousands of post by hundreds of people who talk about how their pets are family, how they tell their kids the pet is their sister or brother, how they claim if anyone harms their pet it would be like harming their own family, etc. You can't deny that many pet owners (especially on this forum) have humanizes their pets, so what's so shocking about associating a child to a pet.
I too see my pets as my children.

I just got back from saying good bye to Rip.
He is going hunting today and will be gone until Monday.

However, I know that is is difference between punitive and real value.

Old 07-07-2011, 10:35 AM

18,856 posts, read 31,613,526 times
No, I am not comparing a child to a goat, but I am concerned about a dog that is loose, that can kill a goat...if it can kill a goat, that same dog may be dangerous to a small child.

Old 07-07-2011, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
No, I am not comparing a child to a goat, but I am concerned about a dog that is loose, that can kill a goat...if it can kill a goat, that same dog may be dangerous to a small child.
Good to know.

When you asked what a child would be worth....

I did wonder.

Old 07-08-2011, 04:56 AM

43,012 posts, read 92,025,684 times
I'd pay the $600 to avoid my dog being labeled dangerous by authorities.

Old 07-08-2011, 07:28 AM

8,309 posts, read 34,303,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
I'd pay the $600 to avoid my dog being labeled dangerous by authorities.
Exactly. If $600 makes that whole thing go away, it's probably worth it. You are being taken advantage of, but you're paying a premium for a "low-profile solution".

Old 07-08-2011, 08:33 AM

22,583 posts, read 16,725,534 times
Your dog killed their animal. You decided to settle out of court. The owner of the killed pet is asking for no less than $600. Pay it and move on.

You were willing to pay $450 and they are saying $600. Is $150 really worth all this anxiety? Pay it, chalk it up as a lesson to make sure your dog is always under your control in some way and get on with your moving. But, you make sure you have an agreement of some sort signed, have a third party witness there also to sign and keep copies of everything. Notate on the check what it was for. You may also wish to keep copies of any searches you did that shows the animals fair value price at the time of this agreement.

As someone stated earlier, you are lucky you still have your dog. That right there should be worth that extra $150.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs